Author Topic: MERRION STREET BELFAST  (Read 23839 times)

cassidy

Re: MERRION STREET BELFAST
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 01:06:12 AM »
hi bluebell, I knew a mickey connolly, I think he worked in Gibson st. bookies,no relation.would you be one of the Mcveigh's or Mckavanagh's, I used to play with them all when we were kids.  cas/conman

Mageeka

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »
Anyone rembener Billi ( Junior Killen) from  around your ayra. ?

bluebell98

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
Hi Cassidy, My mum was one of the McCavana's from no.30 Merrion Street. Quite a large family. Most of the girls in the family played camogie for Antrim when they were young.

cassidy

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 11:23:25 PM »
Hi bluebell, glad to hear from you, the mc cavanas I remember them well. I went to school with Hugh ( hugo) as we called him then, a great guy and a great pal. We used to play k,d.r.f ( kick doors run fast) ask him if he remembers pat connolly. I knew some of the girls, nice family,I forget some of their names but I think one was named Ann and Margaret. hope they are doing well. keep in touch. Cas/conman.

bluebell98

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »
HI CAS/CONMAN,
Sadly hugo just passed away last weekend and was buried on Tuesday.  My mum was Ann.
Ye might have had a wee eye for her   ;) lol
It sure is a small world.

cassidy

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 12:06:18 AM »
HI bluebell, sorry to hear about Hugo (RIP),I have fond memories of him,I will have a mass said for him. I hope your mom is doing well,tell her I said HI, how is the rest of the family doing, also I know your mother was good friends with the Morgan's. Would love to hear any news about them. cas/conman.

bluebell98

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 09:15:50 AM »
Hi cas, ah sure its something that comes to us all.
Your not going to believe this but my mum Ann died in 1973 aged 39  :(
It was hard for us at the time but we had a good dad thank god.
The Morgans were a nice family.  I remember their dad Paddy.

bluebell98

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 11:16:53 AM »
Cas, just worked who your family were, I think!  Did you come from the top of merrion street, either No 2 or 4.  I remember Mr Connolly at the top of our street. He was a big tall man as I remember and a very gentleman.  Is that your family?

cassidy

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 03:55:14 AM »
Hi Bluebell, sorry to hear about your mom, happy memories of her. and we did live at # 2 Merrion st. there is a few of us passed on, (Gerrard, Mary and John.) Frank, Leo and Vincy are living up the Falls and Glen Rd.Essie living in B'ham. My Dad passed on in 81. So there is still a few of us left.Good to hear from you. cas/conman.

Ossie16

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 12:13:27 AM »
I went to svhool with agirl called Deirdre Allen from Merrion Street - I am still in contact with her and will have to try to encourage her to join this wee site.
I also went to school with Kathleen Kavanagh from Leesaon Street - she is in Canada now.

bluebell98

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 07:56:31 PM »
I am guessing you might be Marie O  :) I know Deirdre keeps in touch with some of her St D school mates. Its a great wee site isnt it.  :) :) hope you are keeping well.

Ossie16

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 08:43:19 AM »
Hi Bluebell - I take it you are Deirdre's sister - we have been friends now for over 40 years (since we started St D's in 1967) and I loved catching up with her. We will have to try and get her on to the Forum.

larsson195

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
What about the Mc Gonigles who came from Merrrion St ?
Anyone remember them ?

was there a gerard  did he co to slate street school

jake2

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 03:53:30 PM »
Mageeka,I remember Billy [Junior]Killen from Merrion Street,he joined post office as a telegram boy and he sang in several bands.I think he went to  live at  Islandbawn St.Do you remember Lily Maguire from Theodore St,she hung around with Carmel Johnston from Smithfield Square,beside Francis St.Billy Killen had a cousin Tom Hughes from Brook St,off Albert St.There was  also Gerry Walsh and Eamon Hughes from Distillery Street.Jake2

Mageeka

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 03:59:03 PM »
Mageeka,I remember Billy [Junior]Killen from Merrion Street,he joined post office as a telegram boy and he sang in several bands.I think he went to  live at  Islandbawn St.Do you remember Lily Maguire from Theodore St,she hung around with Carmel Johnston from Smithfield Square,beside Francis St.Billy Killen had a cousin Tom Hughes from Brook St,off Albert St.There was  also Gerry Walsh and Eamon Hughes from Distillery Street.Jake2

Billy came back to Belfast but seemingly has now returned again to Cornwall
Lily Maguire sounds familiar Jake and I do remember Tom Hughes  I do remember a Gerry Walsh from Bow St and then 2 Eamon Hughes   One was the brother of Larkey and the other had very red/sandy hair