Author Topic: MERRION STREET BELFAST  (Read 25173 times)

Clinkers

Re: MERRION STREET BELFAST
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2009, 06:49:59 PM »
Hi Cassidy
Just came across the site while looking for some old photos of Merrion Street.  I used to play with a David McCallion who certainly lived around number 24.  I have a photo somewhere, taken by a street photographer sometime around 1955, showing a group of Merrion Street "regulars", including David, Ernie Benson, Harry McIlmurray and quite a few others.  Must see if I can find it when I go back to visit my sister.  I left Belfast in 1971 and have worked overseas since.  Have seen the place only three or four times since  ~  and was truly shocked when I found out that the street and even its name had disappeared!
Incidentally, I lived at number 42, but no-one has mentioned our family yet!  Maybe someone will put a name to the number!

Clinkers

pj.s.

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2009, 07:40:04 PM »
 My mum and dad are very good friends with Mary McCallum who came from Merrion Street. She has a sister called Nellie and her parents were called Hubert (in their opinion a gentleman) and Teassie.

bozo

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2009, 11:03:08 AM »
 ::) Here anuone know the Boyles from Lincoln St just off Leeson St

AL CAPONE

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2009, 12:38:17 PM »
Arthur, Patrick, Thomas, James and john??

pj.s.

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
 Bozo,

My mum remembers the Boyles - Veronica, Teresa, she can't remember the brothers names at the minute. My mum's family lived in Lincoln Street

shamrock249

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »
I used to know Mary McGonicle from Merrion Street who had a friend Bridie Brown who lived in the street closer to Grosvenor rd. I think Mary had a brother Pat. Anyone know where they might be nowadays. Also knew a Pat McLaughlin who lived accroww from Bridie. I am originally from Cape Street ... one of the Cullens.
Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

arkie

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2009, 04:41:12 PM »
PTK. DID YOU CHUM AROUND WITH THE LADS FROM GARNET ST?

shamrock249

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2009, 04:12:36 AM »
There may have been a Noel,  Twigg but the one I knew was Jim  However Jim had an older brother

I believe the older brother was called Pat. I knew his sister Mary and was just wondering whatever became of her?

Jim B

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2009, 10:14:42 AM »
The binghams. The mother use to do the cabaret circuit. Michael played in various
bands
My battery was dead...

lowerwack

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2009, 08:53:28 PM »
  for shamrock249. :) :) 
         hi shamrock just joined the forum after i spotted your topic while having a quick look through the merrion st
             bit. i am from 43 merrion st and i remember you and the cullens. your mother sadie and your dad jimmy.
                my dad alfie was always great friends with your parents.i of course wouldnt have known you from
                 your photo.my dad alfie died about seven years ago.and i have some old photos he always kept.
                    one is dated about 1953 theres me and you with four other children three boys and one girl taken
                        in belfast zoo at bellevue.the other is of my dad and your mother taken i think at the same time.
                            i would send them on to you if you are interested. in the last few years before he died alfie
                                who was then living in dublin used to travel regularly up to see your mom and dad i think
                                    they were in andersonstown.i remember cape st well i spent a lot of time there as a child
 we palled around as we were the same age.                                   

shamrock249

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2009, 11:56:41 PM »
 for shamrock249. :) :)  
         hi shamrock just joined the forum after i spotted your topic while having a quick look through the merrion st
             bit. i am from 43 merrion st and i remember you and the cullens. your mother sadie and your dad jimmy.
                my dad alfie was always great friends with your parents.i of course wouldnt have known you from
                 your photo.my dad alfie died about seven years ago.and i have some old photos he always kept.
                    one is dated about 1953 theres me and you with four other children three boys and one girl taken
                        in belfast zoo at bellevue.the other is of my dad and your mother taken i think at the same time.
                            i would send them on to you if you are interested. in the last few years before he died alfie
                                who was then living in dublin used to travel regularly up to see your mom and dad i think
                                    they were in andersonstown.i remember cape st well i spent a lot of time there as a child
 we palled around as we were the same age.                                    

Hi Pat, Great to hear from you bud ... I have sent you a private message.  

littlemo

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2010, 01:22:13 PM »
my husband went to sea with an Andy Boyle from Lincoln St.

Katya

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »
Hi Just found this forum. Am trying to find someone who knows anything about a Bernard Doherty who lived at number 25 Merrion Street pre 1950. I'd be very greatful for any help, thanks

doare.

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »
What about the Mc Gonigles who came from Merrrion St ?
Anyone remember them ?
one mc gonigal was in our class in st comgalls tony mc gonigal, i havent a clue where he would be now.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

shamrock249

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »
I remember Tony and his sister Mary.