Author Topic: MERRION STREET BELFAST  (Read 25319 times)

geraldine williamson

Re: MERRION STREET BELFAST
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »
Hi there, My mother's family came from Leeson Street.They managed a public-house on the corner there.  Her father was called "Darkie" Smith because of his black hair, some of the Smiths also lived in Merrion Street, long long time ago though. One of the relatives Cis O'Hare (a lady) also managed a funeral-parlour on the Falls.  They were the ones who buried my Dad when he died RIP in 1950.

Originated from Newry Co Down.

shamrock249

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
Hi Cassidy
Just came across the site while looking for some old photos of Merrion Street.  I used to play with a David McCallion who certainly lived around number 24.  I have a photo somewhere, taken by a street photographer sometime around 1955, showing a group of Merrion Street "regulars", including David, Ernie Benson, Harry McIlmurray and quite a few others.  Must see if I can find it when I go back to visit my sister.  I left Belfast in 1971 and have worked overseas since.  Have seen the place only three or four times since  ~  and was truly shocked when I found out that the street and even its name had disappeared!
Incidentally, I lived at number 42, but no-one has mentioned our family yet!  Maybe someone will put a name to the number!

Clinkers

Hi Clinkers and welcome to the forum.  I used to chum around with Pat McLaughlin who lived at number 43, across the street from you. I also knew a Bridie Brown who must have been your next door neighbour.
Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

kate.o

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2011, 11:10:56 AM »

Hi Clinkers and welcome to the forum.  I used to chum around with Pat McLaughlin who lived at number 43, across the street from you. I also knew a Bridie Brown who must have been your next door neighbour.
hi shamrock, in Leeson street did you know any of the dalaneys, robersons, or hinds, nancy green,  *

shamrock249

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2011, 01:17:12 PM »
Sorry Kate, I did not. I just knew Pat McLaughlin (Pat is now living in Cork and he was able to get in touch with me via the forum) Bridie Brown lived across the street from Pat around number 40 or so and she used to chum around with Mary McGonnicle who lived closer to Leeson St.
Signed   Mrs Cullen's wee son Jimmy.

kate.o

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2011, 12:59:43 PM »
Sorry Kate, I did not. I just knew Pat McLaughlin (Pat is now living in Cork and he was able to get in touch with me via the forum) Bridie Brown lived across the street from Pat around number 40 or so and she used to chum around with Mary McGonnicle who lived closer to Leeson St.
thank you shamrock for your reply

live Music

« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2011, 10:13:06 PM »
I did know Ann Crossan from Merrion Street 

live Music

« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2011, 10:19:27 PM »
I do and all the counters seemed very high and almost next to it was John Macs wee shop and facing that was a bus stop and on the other side of the road was Mulhouse Street where I lived

arkie

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2011, 02:39:12 PM »
hi shamrock, in Leeson street did you know any of the dalaneys, robersons, or hinds, nancy green,  *

live Music

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2012, 07:05:30 PM »
I do and all the counters seemed very high and almost next to it was John Macs wee shop and facing that was a bus stop and on the other side of the road was Mulhouse Street where I lived
can you tell me anything about Ann Crossan where she is living etc

mise 1

« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2012, 01:01:30 AM »
Although   not frim  Mewrrion  Street I know it big brains pub a scrumpie house a pint and a game of draughts.on the corner of lesson street and merruion street.across the road the long bar,happy days

Sally Ann

« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2012, 03:31:13 AM »
Although   not frim  Mewrrion  Street I know it big brains pub a scrumpie house a pint and a game of draughts.on the corner of lesson street and merruion street.across the road the long bar,happy days

???
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

Pat McGovern

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2013, 06:56:50 PM »
This is going back a bit but would anyone have info. on James Short married to Catherine McKenna.  They lived at 13 Merrion St. during the 1st W.W.  They were still there in 1926 maybe even later.

harrymerrion

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2014, 06:04:31 PM »
Reply to Clinker: I would love to have a copy of your picture. David McCallum (McCallion?) lives in the states. I was in contact with him a while ago but my PC got a virus from the site and we lost touch. After the RAF I think he was an engineer. I have a query for everyone - What was the sq. footage of a kitchen house in Merrion Street? Harry McIlmurray

chink

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2014, 06:30:54 PM »
very small houses  i lived in granville st

harrymerrion

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »
Hi Shamrock/Cassidy - I remember Pat McLoughlin, he taught me the fact of life! As I was about seven so I didn't believe him when he told me what my mam and dad were doing - so no harm done then! Jim McGonigle always wanted to be a projectionist and probably succeeded. I remember Liz McKee and Lily Torbitt who used to torment me about a girl called McKenna who lived beside Dunville Park. David McCallion joined the RAF and settled later in USA - Check Friends Reunited. Charlie Tipping, cobbler, lived beside the McCallions, we were slightly afraid of him. My friend in Merrion St. was Paddy Bradley but we lost touch. He worked for GPO and think he had an accident. Jim McGlinchy now in England. Pat Nugent beside Henderson's Chemists, who always seemed to have a HP sauce sandwich in his hand while we had bread and butter dipped in sugar! Happy days! I remember handball and bottom brickers at the top of the street. Never a thought about who owned the gable end. Slate Street teachers - Mr O'Hara, Mr. Magee, Mr Greer, Mr. Mulligan, Mr. Gordon and Mr Burns - not forgetting Miss Savage who later married Mr Collins (we all thought that George Burns fancied her and were amazed when Collins scooped her up). I left 39 Merrion Street when about 9 for A/town.