Author Topic: SEWING FACTORIES  (Read 50357 times)

villagegirl

Re: SEWING FACTORIES
« Reply #225 on: April 08, 2016, 08:41:26 PM »
did you know Vina Galloway Iam noy sure if it was the Ulidia ... :(

Hi bhelena, Vina was my mum.  Did you know her?

bhelena

« Reply #226 on: April 09, 2016, 10:08:49 PM »

Hi bhelena, Vina was my mum.  Did you know her?
Hello villagegirl I did know her she would have known my sisters Annie and Kathleen I think I worked there in 1970/71 for awhile she was the was over the girls from what I remember ..Did you work in any of the factories on the DonegalRoad?

Colin Hillis

« Reply #227 on: January 08, 2021, 11:47:59 AM »
   Hi Moreen   There is a photo taken at a Christmas Party for Martin and lemons, my mother in law worked there. I had posted it on Any old photos thread and someone transferred it to the Sandy Row thread, you might see some faces you know in it you will have to back some pages as that was a while ago that I posted it.

My Great Grandfather John George Hillis was most likely the owner of this factory and he passed it down (along with linen factories and laundry works) to my grandfather Noel Hillis and his brother Jimmy Hillis. It would likely have been my grandfather Noel who took this business on. If you have any other information about Hillis sewing, please let me know. I do know that they had a smaller sewing works in Kilkeel, which employed about 80-100.

Maymac

« Reply #228 on: January 08, 2021, 05:07:53 PM »
I worked in The Garfield Adelaide St  Somerset’s Hardcastle St and few more sewing factories Learned to sew and still sewing more than 60 years later We often went to lunch time sessions in The Plaza and the odd “Mitch “ to The Royal Cinema