Author Topic: Belfast Teddy Boys  (Read 4236 times)

Christopher

Belfast Teddy Boys
« on: July 16, 2008, 02:04:59 AM »
Gerry Langley tells me he was one of the first Teddy Boys in Belfast. Were any of the members of the Forum among the ranks of the early Teddy Boys in the city? There are still a few around ... they wear all the right gear at fifties nights and Rock 'n' Roll events. You can join the Belfast Teddy Boys and their better halves at the Red Hot Rockabilly & Rock 'n' Roll Club. www.teddyboyfederation.co.uk/theforum/index.php?showtopic=1777

andreamcc

Re: Belfast Teddy Boys
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:14:50 PM »

Hello Christopher,

I'm making a series about dancehalls in the 1940s,1950s and 1960s in Northern Ireland - see the thread 'Dancehall Sweethearts' for BBC NI. I'd love to chat to a teddy boy who was burning up the floor in the 1950s. Is Gerry Langley contactable through the Belfast Forum? People have mentioned that the teddy boys all used to take over the floor of the Plaza when certain songs were played.

My details are:
Andrea McCartney
Director 'Dancehall Sweethearts'
Doubleband Films
02890 243331 [email protected]

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 04:53:10 PM »
I've just spotted another site for Teddy Boys www.teddyboysreunited.co.uk They're having a reunion in England on Saturday 20th September at The Paddocks - Long Road - Canvey Island - Essex - SS8 0JA Doors open 2:00 till 12:30. I wonder if there are sufficient Teddy Boys scattered around Northern Ireland who have kept their figure and are able to wear the gear they wore in the fifties and sixties.

Anne Moore, who grew up in Belfast, wonders if Teddy Boys were Rockers or Shockers www.loti.com/then_now/teddy_boys.htm

andreamcc

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:57:49 PM »

Thanks for that Christopher - I'll look up the article!

Andrea :)

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 05:09:18 PM »
Henry McDonald, in his article in The Observer dated Sunday 5th June 2005, mentions that his father slicked his hair back in the teddy-boy fashion and his mother swung her hips at the Plaza in Belfast in the early Sixties. http://tinyurl.com/6yoram

jemmy hope

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:33:56 PM »
Skinny Reynolds was the star jiver in the Plaza--is he still around. Man, that guy could dance.

Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

moorsy

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 10:19:30 PM »
I REMEMBER SKINNY WELL HE WENT TO SWEDEN I THINK ONE TIME FOR A JIVE COMPETITION IN THE 50s.  DANCED IN THE PLAZA!!  WERE ELSE!!.
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

moorsy

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:29:52 PM »
AH, BEING A TED.   DRAINPIPE TROUSERS 14 INCH BOTTOMS,FINGER LENGHT JACKETS, JETTED POCKETS,HALF-MOON AT THE TOP,SHAWL-COLLARS WITH VELVET AT THE NECK. SKINNY TIES AND STUDDED BELTS.  HALF A BOTTLE OFF BYRLCREAM ON YOUR HAIR,SLICKED BACK IN A D.A.     :D

moorsy

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 06:19:24 PM »
oops,  I forgot the swivel buttons and the suede shoes with white crepe soles. O0 O0

jamie

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 10:26:06 PM »
I was also a kid in the 50's but remember the teddy boys well in Ardoyne
I don't want to mention names but one was "Noel" from around Highbury gardens Holmdene gardens/Berwick Rd.   He was a great looking guy and nice with it.  Sure the clothes branded him but I was enamoured with him.
My ma would have kicked my butt if she had thought I was even looking ;)

moorsy

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 12:08:04 AM »
Ah Jamie, it was just a fad,like Mods and Rockers, Punks, Goths, whatever.

jamie

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 01:36:20 AM »
Ah Jamie, it was just a fad,like Mods and Rockers, Punks, Goths, whatever.

You're right moorsey as I remember them as being pretty harmless compared to some of the louts about these days :police: :police: :police:

giannineo

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 10:23:04 PM »
Ricky Tomlinson dressed as a "Ted"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF7kccf8IvE

Natalie_doc_xo

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 11:36:07 PM »
Hi guys I was wondering if someone could help me, My granddad who I have recently found out was a teddy boy in the 1950's, his name is William Savage, he married my granny Nora Savage, he met her in a dancehall in the early 1950's I was wondering if anyone had any information on him the dancehall was in Royal avenue although I'm not 100% sure I was wondering if anyone would know the name as well, any information would be greatly appreciated 

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 02:58:32 AM »
 There was a Dance hall in Royal Avenue ( 60's ) called Albany Rooms, it was upstairs , close to the Regent Picture house on the Left hand

side of the Avenue ( walking from the City Hall).

Small , very laid back place.
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.