Author Topic: Order of Malta  (Read 9791 times)

masser

Order of Malta
« on: July 27, 2008, 02:04:55 PM »
Hi I'd like to make contact with any old Knights of Malta ambulance Corp members.
It would be great to talk of days gone by and hear about some of your scarey and sometimes funny moments.
One funny memory of mine comes to mind.
I can't remember the year but it was the late 70's and our unit was involved at competitons in Newry.
After the initial parade of the corp through Newry town and on to the school where the competitions were held we with other units from all over Ireland settled down and were sent as individuals to different classrooms where our 'tests' were waiting for us.

I and another passed our test.
But, two certain members of our unit (who were highly embarrassed about this) were despatched to a classroom where a school desk measuring about three feet wide and tall was lying onto top of a civilian.
Three judges were at the rear of the classroom.
The two members taking the test started off by asking what happened to the judges who were also acting as members of the public so this was allowed. They were told that this was a field and the table was a combine harvestor and the farmer was trapped below it.
Ok so far?
Nest the two members began their examination of the farmer and proceeded where they could to adminisiter first-aid.
When they had the guy bandaged up looking like a mummy and their equipment tydied away they bot then 'LIFTED' the table off the guy placed him on a stretcher foned for an ambulance and loaded him into it when it arrived(pretent ambulance) and despatched him to hospital.
They then were dismissed from the room and told to wait in assembly witheveyone else for the results that afternoon.
And so the day closed and everyone including ourselves were waiting for the resultsThe judges came in on stage and began awarding the awards to everyone who passed.
They left the two members from our unit to the very last.
They then called their names and brought them up on stage.
they the proceeded to announce the situation they found themselves in and how the two members dealt with the accident.
Then when they told everyone there how they lifted the combine harvestor,the entire assembley broke into fits of laughter, leaving our unit totally embarrassed and with red faces. We couldn't believe our ears and the pair ran and hid somewhere til we were leaving lol.

One other event stands out well in m mind and that was when we were asked to present ourselves to the President of Ireland at the mansion house for presentation.
That was Dr Hillary.
We were thrilled about that and other units members were also in attendance and we stood in glorious sunshine that day and had a party afterwards on the way home.
Oh I can't forget, we were requested to act as honour guard to the Knights themselves at the Church in Drogheda where Oliver Plunkett was made Blessed. A great honour indeed.
 So come on guys and gals lets hear from you all.
Masser

maryde

Re: Order of Malta
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:37:18 PM »
Hi Masser,

I was a member of the order of malta for several years, I was in the clonard unit and had a great time whilst there. I was there around 1974 ish (God its terrible to think how long ago that was)  :-[
Not Old... just Older

masser

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:45:08 PM »
Hi Maryde
I was in the Falls Unit

As you say so long ago it makes me feel old now lol.
but know what? I wish i was back there again, as i relaly enjoyed those days.
i found an old photo taken in clonard monastery grounds with one of those old ambulances just behind.
I'll scan it and past it here tomorrow when i get the chance.
There is a girl in it who I married a few years later. We are still together and recently celebrated 30 yrs. You will probably know some or all in the photo. I was taking the photo so I'm not in it..thank gawd lol.

so any funnies you can remember.../
I'm not giving out on this public site anything which would cause bother for myself or you or anyone else who writes in...private email would be fine for that me thinks.

maryde

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:48:10 PM »

Hi Masser,

I could tell some stories... but I better not  ;D well at least not on a public site!
Not Old... just Older

desi

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:42:45 AM »
hello masser,funny seeing you and maryde chatting on this thread,i think you two have a lot more in common,does lena mc keown ring a bell ,masser check out boomer st thread desi O0
JUSTICE FOR THE BALLYMURPHY 11.

masser

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 02:21:13 PM »
Maryde
Here is the photo I mentioned earlier.

My wife is in the photo. she is the dark haired girl with my hat on her. The other taller girl is Patricia (pinta) McConvey both were from the Turflodge Unit.
Also in the photo: Phedelma O'Connor from Ardoyne Unit she is behind pinta.
The two cadets in front were in my unit the Falls Unit. They are Arthur Nesbitt, I think he's dead now and lived in Ardoyne when he grew up. And the little girl now a woman is Sharon Galway.
Pat headley is the guy on the front left behind him is Paul Mc Donagh and the lad in the ginger hiar with only part of his facing showing I'm unsure of...both were I think from your unit??
Beside Pat Headley is Jimmy Nesbitt, Arthurs older brother.
The photo was approximately taken around 1974...so long ago now, good days and bad days eh.

Can't remember who owned the ambulance though.

do you remember going to St Matthew's club in the short Strand one year for a social night?
I worked then in the GPO and around 10.45pm that night the strand lads drove me over to Tomb St in an ambulance for my nightshift.
you shouldve heard the questions i got when i got in, if i was ill etc. lol.

As I say, good days and bad days.

you don't have to give anything away here..
Email me if you wish a chat please Maryde

[email protected]

BL O0

masser

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 02:23:12 PM »
Maryde
One person I forgot to mention is the lad in the ginger hair on the far right rear. That's Paul (Basil Brush) Rush. He was in our unit. He later married Pinta.
He also became a copper >:( >:( :(

masser

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 02:24:57 PM »
Hi Desi
Maryde and myself would have something in common going back years lol.
Lena McKeown was my cousin. She lived in Boomer St just near the steps.

maryde

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 03:34:50 PM »

Oh my God Masser, that brings back some memories.  I recognise Paul McDonagh, Jimmy Nesbit (so young!) Paul Rush and I think thats Ricky Ferguson standing beside Paul McDonagh at the back.  Your wife's face looks very familiar as well.  They were great days, thanks for posting the photos its fantastic to see them all again.  ;D
Not Old... just Older

masser

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 03:53:42 PM »
Mentioned Ferguson to my wife.
She says that name doesn't ring a bell.
However I think he was a cousin of the o'Connor's from Ardoyne.
His name will come to me sometime lol.
Have you any photos?
PS My wife's first name is Cecilia

masser

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 03:57:41 PM »
ps Maryde
My wife's just reminded me that we were all at a competiton in Clonard Hall that day.

Ring any bells??
Gerry McClory was unit leader of Clonard.  I see him a lot around the road.Have you seen any of the old gang around? Where are they all now..any alive?? lol

som

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 10:45:40 AM »
Hi
I was in the Order of Malta until late 1972. In the South Belfast unit originally based at Holy Rosary Hall on the Ravenhill Road before moving to the Short Strand. The best memory was going to Croagh Patrick as medics - a great weekend. Our ambulances were not the best at the time - had an old Commer which never worked and a second world war ambulance (crash gearbox) with crapppy brakes - nearly killed ourselves driving down from Aldergrove on one occasion. Our CO was Jimmy McAllister from the Upper Falls.

masser

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 12:13:27 PM »
Hi Som

That would have been a little bit before my time.
however my wife was in the Malta before I was as a cadet and she worked her way up.
She was in Turflodge unit. There was a Mrs Farley in charge then G. McClory took it over when he transfered from Clonard unit.  Ring any bells?
I'd post my wife's name in a PM to you only.
Too many eyes on this forum.

Is som male or female...give a wee clue please lol

Regards
Masser

AL CAPONE

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 12:19:30 PM »
Do you know of Roy Madden?

masser

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 12:32:48 PM »
There was such a person in one of either two units as I recall.

More info would be helpful please

Masser