Author Topic: Forerunner of St Peter's Band Belfast/ Free State Army  (Read 20744 times)

aussietrekker

Re: Forerunner of St Peter's Band Belfast/ Free State Army
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 02:05:17 AM »
Hi Trekkar
Yes my bro remembers Alfie  Alfie played along with a sax player named Jimmy Smith  They both gigged in the Jig in Coates Street which is off Townsend Street  BTW  Jimmy Smith is still alive and I spoke to him at a Belfast funeral three weeks ago

Thanks M, I am very grateful. I know almost nothing about my uncle Alfie so all little snippets of information are treasured. We must get our music streak from that side of the family, as I play sax and both daughters play trumpet.
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

Mageeka

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 02:44:30 AM »
Hi Trekkar
Yes my bro remembers Alfie  Alfie played along with a sax player named Jimmy Smith  They both gigged in the Jig in Coates Street which is off Townsend Street  BTW  Jimmy Smith is still alive and I spoke to him at a Belfast funeral three weeks ago

Thanks M, I am very grateful. I know almost nothing about my uncle Alfie so all little snippets of information are treasured. We must get our music streak from that side of the family, as I play sax and both daughters play trumpet.

Trekkar
Jimmy Smith may have pics of Alfie   I will check
M  XX

aussietrekker

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 02:47:29 AM »
Aw, that would be unreal!

I've got two, but one of them is off his death notice. ::)

bhelena

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 04:15:04 PM »
Check to see if your relative are among the following names

The forerunners of St Peter's Brass and reed band were members of the ROI army

The following were attested into the Free State Army 7 february 1923  I have a photo of this whole group

James King   24 Balkan St

James Menagh 58 Dunmore St

John Dowling 18 Lucknow St  Iron Erector

John Mc Girr 72 Short Strand

Michael Smith 32 Ton Street

William Ramsey12 Coates St

William Magee 50 Irwin St

Thomas Liddy 60 Wall St

Pat Mc Varnock 118 Upper Library St

John Doran 315 Grosvenor Rd

Thomas Donelly 470 Hawthorn St  Butcher

Thomas Donovan 62 Sheriff St

Gerald Mc Guinness 49 Lincoln St

John O'Niell  146 Albert St

Arthur Garland 76 Falls Rd

Harry Doran 315 Grosvenor Rd

John Mc Cready Victoria Barracks

Joe Murphy  Upton Cottages, Glen Rd.

James Dalton 7 Vulcan St

Edward Fagan 7 Springview St

William Boyle  23 Balkan St

John Garland 76 Falls Rd.  Iron Turner

John Mc Guigan 4 Alma St

Edward Price 122 Percy St

John Mc Cauley  81 Cullingtree Rd

Hugh Brady 11 Plevna St

Charles Morrison 18 Welsh St

What happend to them do you know?.

C.G

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 10:46:34 PM »
What happend to them do you know?.

In answer to the questions about St Peters Brass and Reid band - John Garland (Bandmaster) was my Grandfather. 76 Falls Road was at the corner off Alma St on the road and was a fruit shop owned by my grandparents, it was called Shields Fruit shop.

St Peters Brass and Reid band was formed by my grandfather and a couple of other gentlemen in a tin hut at St Finians primary school on the Falls Rd. They then moved to band rooms in Dover St afterwhich due to an unfortunate fire (in which a significant amount of original music work was lost) moved to Colin St. 

In 1923 the Free State Army did not have a band and so St Peters Brass and Reid band answered its call by becoming the No. 1 army band.

My grandparents home at this time became 3 Alma St. On the 8th July 1945 John passed away.

Going back before the the band story above - The Garlands came from Belgrave St off the Falls Road.

gerrymac

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 08:17:57 AM »
Hi C G my Grandfather was Peter Garland, He came from Belgrade St, moved to whiterock gardens, He may have been your Grandfather's brother or uncle, I know my later Mother's cousin owned that shop at the corner of Alma St.
Gerry Mac

C.G

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 12:29:55 AM »
gerrymac                                                                                                                                                                           my grandfather had four brothers arthur;jimmy;paddy;and peter' my grandfather and your grandfather where brothers
                                                                                                                                                                                                           cg

Liz51

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 03:37:20 PM »
hi all lovely to see a thread about st peters my uncle johnny was a band member he enden up as the president of st peters  always went to watch them with my farther , there was nearly always processions on a sunday

Ossie16

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 05:45:05 PM »
My Dad, uncles and grandad all p[layed in St Peter's Brass and Reed Band - as well you know Mac - the only name I recognise from the list of the Free State Army band is Jamesie King who was married to my grandmothers sister.

Aussie - I knew Alfie Mc Gurgan and his wife Bernie and their two daughters Lily and Anne very well - they lived in Gilford Street and my family lived in Ardmoulin Street and then we moved into Divis Flats and we all lived in the Gilfords Block. My parents were great friends of Alfie and Bernie and my dad sometimes played in a danceband with him.

I am not sure of this is the right place to tell you this news but as I do not know who you are or have no way of contacting you I feel that you should know. Lily (who was married to the barber John Donnelly (RIP) ) die a few weeks ago. As far as I know it was quite sudden - I just saw it in the paper by chance and I think it must have been a heart attack as her family wanted donations in lieu of flowers to to go the heart unit in the hospital. Lily and her family lived in the Twinbrook area - her kids still do. I am not sure where Anne lives but I am sure I could find out for you quite easily. I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

aussietrekker

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 12:33:03 PM »
Thank you Ossie, I am pleased you have responded even though the circumstances are sad. Another forum member, McNamee, also notified me of Lily's death. She happened to get a call from an old neighbour from Gilford Street on the same day as our first contact, with the sad news. A spooky coincidence. She also will try and put me in touch with Anne. I know very little about the family (Alfie was my Mum's brother)
as we went to Australia in 1964, so anything you can tell me will be very welcome.
Is Gilford Street still there, I can't find it on the map.

Ossie16

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2008, 11:38:14 PM »
Hi Aussie

I will get you an address for Anne from my friend - she also used to live in Gilford Street and her sister was and still is Anne's best friend. I am afraid I don't remember a lot about Alfie as I was quite young when he died - I do remember though he had a really 'bad chest' and was always breathless and wheezing. Bernie his wife was a real laugh - my mum and her used to go to the Market every Friday to get fish for our dinner and also get all the eggs, fruit and vegetables and nearly kill themselves carrying them back - well money was scarce then.

I also remember Lily was a beautiful girl - she had platinum blonde hair which she always wore up in 'bubbles' - well that was the style then - and she could have had any man she liked.  When I was a kid I wished when I grew up I would look just like her. (Didn't happen)  LOL

I have to tell you Gilford Street is no more - not since about 1967 - all the Loney streets were demolished to make way for Divis Flats. It also has since been knocked down and new proper housinf built for the community. I still live in the area although many families moved away over the years.

Mageeka

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 05:42:35 AM »
In answer to the questions about St Peters Brass and Reid band - John Garland (Bandmaster) was my Grandfather. 76 Falls Road was at the corner off Alma St on the road and was a fruit shop owned by my grandparents, it was called Shields Fruit shop.

St Peters Brass and Reid band was formed by my grandfather and a couple of other gentlemen in a tin hut at St Finians primary school on the Falls Rd. They then moved to band rooms in Dover St afterwhich due to an unfortunate fire (in which a significant amount of original music work was lost) moved to Colin St. 

In 1923 the Free State Army did not have a band and so St Peters Brass and Reid band answered its call by becoming the No. 1 army band.

My grandparents home at this time became 3 Alma St. On the 8th July 1945 John passed away.

Going back before the the band story above - The Garlands came from Belgrave St off the Falls Road.

CG

Prior to moving to Dover St  The band also  held rehersals above  ( IE Upstairs!)  the fruit  shop which you mentioned  It is a pity that  the band has come to an end 

Ossie16

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 08:00:02 AM »
Hi Mageeks - I didn't know the band had finished - I was aware that they were having difficulty getting young people involved but I thought it was still going and they were using Glen Community Centre to practise in. Tommy Morris was the conductor (and the main contact) but I heard his wife died a few weeks ago. Maybe he has given up completely now. I will try to find out more.

joemc

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 10:06:13 PM »
hi i am a new member to to this site but can tell you st peters is still going until a few months ago i was a playing member true we cant get the young ones interested in playing music but they have a strong learners class going

Ossie16

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 12:03:47 AM »
Hi Joe - good to have you here in the Forum - I am sure you will enjoy it.