Author Topic: Forerunner of St Peter's Band Belfast/ Free State Army  (Read 20743 times)

Mageeka

Re: Forerunner of St Peter's Band Belfast/ Free State Army
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 02:52:52 AM »
Hi Mageeks - I didn't know the band had finished - I was aware that they were having difficulty getting young people involved but I thought it was still going and they were using Glen Community Centre to practise in. Tommy Morris was the conductor (and the main contact) but I heard his wife died a few weeks ago. Maybe he has given up completely now. I will try to find out more.

Ossie
I spoke to Tommy at Hannah's RIP funeral and he said that they cannot get members and that he may hang it up.  The fact is that now music is taught in every high school in Belfast Those schools employ pro musicians to coach the pupils on an individual basis
E G  A violinist for the violin section a flautist for the flute section ETC, ETC,
Furthermore there is the City of Belfast school of music which instructs all instruments up to and including Grade 8  They have a jazz group, an orchestra and last a symphonic concert band  This year that concert band spent a week, or two performing in Las Vegas
So St Peters band has a lot of competition now  Hitherto it was the only way one could learn to play an instrument.  Sad yes, but times have changed

hicky

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 12:43:34 AM »
was sorry to read that t morris wife has passed away .dont agree with the title of this subject, the band was going before the f-s-a so that makes st peters the forerunner mute point i know the band was made up of three familys hicklands kings &foxs i have some good phots dating back to 1921 will post up when iget the time to do so

Mageeka

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 12:46:34 AM »
was sorry to read that t morris wife has passed away .dont agree with the title of this subject, the band was going before the f-s-a so that makes st peters the forerunner mute point i know the band was made up of three familys hicklands kings &foxs i have some good phots dating back to 1921 will post up when iget the time to do so

Hi Hicky know yer whole family  and Paddy Harry RIP and JimmyRIP
Spoke to Paddy at T Morris wifes funeral. Jimmy Smith was there also Joe Fox

Mageeka

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 01:10:44 AM »
Hicky you forgot Jimmy Osbourne RIP Johnny Osbourne RIP and Danny Campbell RIP Terry Campbell and his grandfather Old Dan.RIP   Johhny Mc Courry RIP and Terry Mc Courry, Jack Beattie, Jimmy Watt, Tommy Lennon ,Patsy Mc Geown, Sammy Millar, Liam Mc Erlean, Paddy and Noel Rielly, Larry Maguire, Billy Busby and Terry Busby  Billy Boyle, Mickey Smith, Dimpy Magee, Bobby Magee, Jimmy Turley,
Patsy Mc Cabe  The Four Rices, Sammy Maguire ,Jack Brady, Sticky Maguire, Gerry Feeny RIP The two Green bros. Issac Brankin,  Dennis Beattie  That is just to name a few
M

joemc

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 10:49:09 PM »
hi mageeka you left me out of that list j mc neill played clarinet

Mageeka

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 11:22:52 PM »
hi mageeka you left me out of that list j mc neill played clarinet

Yes I remember you now Joe.   Dark hair and glasses  You were there the sunday that the tuba player from the Ulster Orchestra came to check out the band  Jimmy Taggart RIP picked up my bro and myself :)

Here are another few
John Campbell, Pat Campbell, Gerry MC Shane,   Jim MC Sherry,  Charlie Hannah, Jim Mc Ilmurry,  Dennis Maguire ( Whiterock )  French horn, Charlie Gavin, John Morris ( Tommy's Bro)

Liz51

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 05:50:31 PM »
Hi Mageeks - I didn't know the band had finished - I was aware that they were having difficulty getting young people involved but I thought it was still going and they were using Glen Community Centre to practise in. Tommy Morris was the conductor (and the main contact) but I heard his wife died a few weeks ago. Maybe he has given up completely now. I will try to find out more.
hi ossie my uncle johnny mc corry was president of st peters it would be a shame if it were to fold , always went to see them with my farther johnnys brother

Mageeka

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 11:02:35 PM »
hi ossie my uncle johnny mc corry was president of st peters it would be a shame if it were to fold , always went to see them with my farther johnnys brother

Hi Rathbone
Is Terry Mc Courry still in Belfast ?

Liz51

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2008, 08:55:32 AM »
Hi Rathbone
Is Terry Mc Courry still in Belfast ?
have not heard about terry mc corry for a few yrs

Mc Corry

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2008, 11:13:24 PM »
Hi rathbone you are correct, that was my dad Johnny who played Tenor Saxophone. Like most members all they lived for was St. Peters band. I played myself for a short time playing clarinet for a short time and made good friends while there. Harry Hickland, John King, Terry Rice a few of us also played in the Tramway Band. It would be nice to hear from some of them again. Terry   

Liz51

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2008, 03:32:47 PM »
hi terry
                   got a shock when seen your post ,i have emailed you would love to hear
                       from you

Liz51

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2008, 07:04:05 PM »
 HI ALL WHO KNOW OF THE GREAT ST PETER'S BAND KEEP IT ALIVE IT IS PART OF OUR HISTORY , REMEMBER ON A SUNDAY IF THERE WAS A PARADE GOING ON WHO WAS THERE TO SURPORT IT WITH THERE GREAT MUSIC   

Mc Corry

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 09:56:34 PM »
hi terry
                       from you

Mc Corry

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 09:57:25 PM »
hi terry
                       from you

Liz51

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2008, 06:04:23 PM »
 WHATS THIS TERRY KEEPING IT ALIVE , YOU WILL HAVE TO PLAY SOME MUSIC ;)