Author Topic: A local soap  (Read 2302 times)

Christopher

A local soap
« on: July 31, 2008, 01:13:11 PM »
I gather that local TV companies in Northern Ireland haven't sufficient funds to produce a local soap. They may not have the funds but have they any potential writers who could match Joseph Tomelty, the author of "The McCooeys" and "Mrs Lally's Lodgers"  

stig5882

Re: A local soap
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 08:38:29 PM »
Hey what about the Billy Play's.... I thought they were fantastic  O0
family names... Kelly, Connor

AL CAPONE

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:48:22 PM »
A bit of an actor myself Stig. I was a doctor in a programme called Eureka st with Dearbhile Kerwin. O0

jamie

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 09:25:19 PM »
I gather that local TV companies in Northern Ireland haven't sufficient funds to produce a local soap. They may not have the funds but have they any potential writers who could match Joseph Tomelty, the author of "The McCooeys" and "Mrs Lally's Lodgers"  
  Christopher, not being long back from S.A.  I have not got into the soaps here and when I saw your subject "A local soap"  I was thinking Palmolive or Lux.   :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:  I do not remember Mrs. Lally's lodgers but I certainly remember The Mc Cooeys  Wasn't  James Young in it or am I mistaken.  We listened to it on the radio on a Saturday night to the strains of "my Aunt Jane she called me in.  Am I thinking of the right one or was there another on T.V.   Great Forum thanks Jamie

stig5882

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 09:30:31 PM »
A bit of an actor myself Stig. I was a doctor in a programme called Eureka st with Dearbhile Kerwin. O0
Al, I always said you were a "STAR"... can't say I remember Eureka St.   :-\   when was it on and are there any clips anywhere?  :-\

aussietrekker

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 12:01:37 AM »
Hey what about the Billy Play's.... I thought they were fantastic  O0

There was a Belfast play shown once on Oz TV called A MATTER OF CHOICE FOR BILLY.
I'd almost forgotten what Belfast was like till I watched it. Would love to see it again. Was it part of a series?
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

Belle Fast

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 02:19:33 AM »
Trekker how are you?
Yes there were a series of the Billy plays around the late 70's, early 80's. Kenneth Brannagh played Billy and James Ellis was in it. Great shows

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 04:31:54 AM »
The following link shows  a short scene from "A Matter Of Choice For Billy"  "The Billy Plays" were written by Graham Reid who was a member of staff at Gransha Boys' High School in Bangor but left the teaching profession in 1980 to concentrate on his writing career. www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjqlvmbxlKI&feature=related

Graham Reid was the author "The Hidden Curriculum." The characters in this work were based on pupils and teachers from the school where he taught. He went on to write a trio of BBC plays for the Play for Today series. These include "Too Late to Talk to Billy" in 1982, "A Matter of Choice for Billy" in 1983 and "A Coming to Terms for Billy" in 1984.

One of Grahams's other works was "You, Me and Marley" which was shot in West Belfast in 1992 www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPWUpkyn8Q

Mrs Timberlake

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 05:45:38 AM »
I will confirm that Al played a very hunky doctor along side Dervla Kerwin a few years back in a show called Eureka Street.  Their picture was published on the front cover of the Belfast Telegraph.  I still have the original, will try and post the picture.  Girls - beware.  Al Capone is a real hunka chunka burning love  :P :-*
Does my face look bothered?

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 06:28:01 AM »
Here's a link to some photos showing a few photes of what happened behind the scenes during the making of Eureka Street. http://tinyurl.com/3nvqu

Belle Fast

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 10:10:37 AM »
I will confirm that Al played a very hunky doctor along side Dervla Kerwin a few years back in a show called Eureka Street.  Their picture was published on the front cover of the Belfast Telegraph.  I still have the original, will try and post the picture.  Girls - beware.  Al Capone is a real hunka chunka burning love  :P :-*
Mrs T I have to see that one O0 I remember we got Eureka St down under for a while, I'm suprised he can walk the falls without being stalked by desperate wimmen ;)

twocoats

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 05:01:28 PM »
Can't walk too well at all when he has a few Harp in him :-\
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

burnsy1

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 05:27:36 PM »
Wasn't Euraka St on BBC 6  ;D

Found it on the net...

Quote:

The story of a group of people from Northern Ireland, trying to make their way in life in the face of sectarian and political polarization. Chucky is an overweight 30-year-old who has yet to find a purpose for his life, but when he comes up with a business idea, things begin to change in an almost miraculous manner for him. His friend Jake is an unusually sensitive repossession man, and his life too begins to change when he meets Aoirghe, a woman from the other side of the sectarian divide
Cometh the hour cometh the    DUFF MAN...         OH YEAY !!!!!!!!

Beers all round

stig5882

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 05:38:16 PM »
Wasn't Euraka St on BBC 6  ;D

Found it on the net...

Quote:

The story of a group of people from Northern Ireland, trying to make their way in life in the face of sectarian and political polarization. Chucky is an overweight 30-year-old who has yet to find a purpose for his life, but when he comes up with a business idea, things begin to change in an almost miraculous manner for him. His friend Jake is an unusually sensitive repossession man, and his life too begins to change when he meets Aoirghe, a woman from the other side of the sectarian divide
Burnsey1 is there anywhere i can watch a clip?

burnsy1

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 09:20:24 PM »
Ah   Sorry Stig. . cant find any clips at all.   boo hoo!!!   :( :( :(   
Cometh the hour cometh the    DUFF MAN...         OH YEAY !!!!!!!!

Beers all round