Author Topic: Was there really a "Silver" McKee  (Read 10158 times)

Dolly

Re: Was there really a "Silver" McKee
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 12:48:36 AM »
MAYBE YOU CAN READ THIS
YES THERE WAS A SILVER  AND WE ALL LOVED HIM VERY MUCH

Sparty

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 01:24:08 PM »
There was indeed a Silver McKee. My great uncle Dinger McGrath used to tell me about him, worked with him on the door of Barnett's back in the day. Apparently he was a wee bit too fond of his grog and one night made the mistake of stepping to Dinger. A few seconds later and it was all over - 3-4 punches and a sickening kick to the face was all it took. They remained great friends after that though.

danso

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 11:04:07 PM »
Pigeon Lowe was the hard man of the market .he sorted silver out  :D

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 07:43:47 AM »

How on earth did 'Silver' ever get his name of being a 'hard man' ?  reading the posts on here he appears to have got his pan knocked in every time he set foot outside his door.  :)
God Bless President Trump!

Sparty

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 10:09:44 AM »

How on earth did 'Silver' ever get his name of being a 'hard man' ?  reading the posts on here he appears to have got his pan knocked in every time he set foot outside his door.  :)

:D

HarryHippo

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »

Sounds like they were queing up outside his door to give him a slap  ;)
Lux Et Veritas.

Support Soldier F

jjmack

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 06:18:52 PM »
Blair 'Paddy' Mayne gave Silver a slapping in Queens Square.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

harrydunn

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 09:41:25 PM »
I was only a kid late 40s and used to get my hair cut in barber shop in Snugville Street right next to the Bakery, Stormy was a regular and always played a game of draughts with Victor the Barbour, I can say Stormy loved us kids and would always offer to pay for your haircut if you could beat him at a game, needless to say I never did but he still paid for my haircut.

derdrei

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 12:46:17 AM »
I was only a kid late 40s and used to get my hair cut in barber shop in Snugville Street right next to the Bakery, Stormy was a regular and always played a game of draughts with Victor the Barbour, I can say Stormy loved us kids and would always offer to pay for your haircut if you could beat him at a game, needless to say I never did but he still paid for my haircut.
Stormy must have been a kindly man being good to kids. I think Silver was to fond of the drink.

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 07:32:47 AM »

Blair 'Paddy' Mayne gave Silver a slapping in Queens Square.  :)

Sorry jj but it never happened, its just urban myth, Blair never fought either Silver or Stormy, he wouldn't soil his knuckles on them, he travelled with a different class of people.
God Bless President Trump!

Sparty

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 09:55:37 AM »
Mayne would have destroyed them at the same time.

jjmack

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 07:29:15 PM »
Sorry jj but it never happened, its just urban myth, Blair never fought either Silver or Stormy, he wouldn't soil his knuckles on them, he travelled with a different class of people.

Sorry, I beg to differ.  ;)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

jjmack

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 07:58:55 PM »

I rember Stormy quite well. Had many a chat with him on the Shankill on a Saturday morning. He was always quite pleasant as we chatted about dog and horse racing, boxing and where the toss would be that weekend. Strange although he was well known as a hardman  he was always quite pleasant and the oul dolls would never pass him without saying hello to him. He helped a lot of people in Browns Square and the Shankill area. I also remember Pinky Beckett who was as strong as a bull and had fists like shovels. Wee Joker Andrews could also handle himself. He would saunter up the Shankill singing to himself and repeating 'I'm the champ, I'm the champ'. Harmless as he was he would later be murdered by cowards in the Four Step Inn.

mollyritarooney

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2019, 10:16:43 AM »
Hello Jamie My late Mother Molly Rooney and her late sister Rita lived in Iveagh Street Falls Road and were great childhood pals with your late uncle Seamus Brennan. I heard about your uncle and Harry Spence etc all my life.

James James

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2019, 12:29:27 PM »
"Belfast Hardmen"     http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=95.0

Remember the term "Hardman" (Street Fighters)
Well there were quite a few in Belfast and here are just a few who I recall
Silver Mc Kee, Stormy Weatherall, Frankie Drain, Seamus Doyle, who had one eye and wore a black patch
 Buck Alec and Bo Bradley
Anyone know these legends, or others and do you have any stories on them ? 

"Belfast City Characters"          http://buckalecrobinson.rushlightmagazine.com/char.html

"To be ignorant of what happened before you were born is to be ever a child. For what is man’s lifetime unless the memory of past events is woven with those of earlier times.”  .. Cicero"

"Silver McKee & Stormy Weather - By Joe Graham"

"Belfast has always been a rough and tumble kind of town, and we were never short of colourful characters and legends, and perhaps in the tradition of a Seanachie, the stories were slightly exaggerated and maybe even tinted but sure aren’t all heroes said to be “seven foot in height with some inches to spare.”"

"Growing up in 1950'S Belfast I can clearly remember the accounts of two famous Belfast characters, two men who made their mark in local folklore through their street fighting abilities, "Stormy" Weather and "Silver" McKee. One a Protestant, one a Catholic, and you may think that their many fights were over religion, if both had been Protestant, or both Catholic they still would have fought, the title ‘hardest man in Belfast’ was at stake."

"Stormy" came from the protestant Shankill and "Silver" from the Catholic Market district, and us kids held them in equal esteem ..but I have to be honest ..when ever these two met to fight, our cheers would have been for our co-religionist, for after all that old Orange and Green is never too far removed from any of us, don’t let anyone try to fool you on that, Scratch deep enough and the Orange or Green blood will flow."  etcetera,...

http://www.irishnews.com/notices/livesremembered/2015/02/07/news/compassionate-hard-man-had-fists-of-stone-115197/

"Compassionate 'hard man' had fists of stone"

"PATRICK 'COCO' MCAULEY"

"HE HAD fists of stone and the arms of a circus strongman. Patrick 'Coco' McAuley belonged to an era when every area had its hard men, fearsome characters whose courage and fighting strength were renowned. However, Patsy was also a man of compassion and his death marked the passing of a north Belfast legend whose exploits became known far and wide."

"Born in Ardoyne's Brompton Park in 1943, he was one of six children of Harry McAuley, a former professional boxer, and Sarah Monaghan, a sister of the legendary 'Rinty' Monaghan."

"It was a local man, Patsy Gillespie, who christened him 'Coco' after he had been discovered in the back of an upturned van covered from head to toe in cocoa powder. Boxing was in Patsy's blood and he won many Ulster and Irish titles during his career in the ring." etcetera,...