Author Topic: Was there really a "Silver" McKee  (Read 11090 times)

jamie

Was there really a "Silver" McKee
« on: August 02, 2008, 11:34:38 PM »
My uncle Seamus Brennan from Beechmount r.i.p. used to talk about this guy and his exploits.  I was too young then to remember but he and my dad Charlie McLaughlin of Albert place r.i.p used to have stories to tell.

If anyone knows I would be glad to hear.  Jamie   

mousey

Re: Was there really a "Silver" McKee
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:10:47 AM »
im a bit rusty on this one . but there was. wasnt he a bouncer in st teresas at one time. or am i confused
HOT AIR RISES

bnf

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 01:28:48 AM »
mousey & jamie,
there definitely was a 'silver' & 'stormy', maybe a wee bit larger than life.
but hit the search button of the forum and you'll build up a picture.
bnf.
" The Fox knows many things,
    but the Hedgehog knows one big thing. "
    ARCHILOCHUS.

bhelena

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:30:47 PM »
im a bit rusty on this one . but there was. wasnt he a bouncer in st teresas at one time. or am i confused

are you talking about st Teresas school glen rd

andy

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:21:19 PM »
 Jammie,

there certainly was he was a street fighter i remember
 one time he went looking for Stormy weatherall, he was
 going to tear his head off,Stormy came into my dads
 pub [ mayo la arms sandy row] the next night with a few
 bruises and damaged knuckles, my dad told him silver was
 out looking for him. aye bob i know i met up with him and
 two of his cronies bottom of boyne bridge and was forced
 to put them in hospital  [ now stormy was a hard man]
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

twocoats

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 09:21:04 PM »
There certainly was a Silver McKee. He has been discussed thoroughly on the Forum a while ago.
There never will be another one.
Here he is in his later years.
Coats

Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

jamie

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 11:38:15 PM »
mousey & jamie,
there definitely was a 'silver' & 'stormy', maybe a wee bit larger than life.
but hit the search button of the forum and you'll build up a picture.
bnf.
Glad you remembered that I thought perhaps I had the name wrong thk
bnf :) :)

jamie

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 11:40:42 PM »
Jammie,

there certainly was he was a street fighter i remember
 one time he went looking for Stormy weatherall, he was
 going to tear his head off,Stormy came into my dads
 pub [ mayo la arms sandy row] the next night with a few
 bruises and damaged knuckles, my dad told him silver was
 out looking for him. aye bob i know i met up with him and
 two of his cronies bottom of boyne bridge and was forced
 to put them in hospital  [ now stormy was a hard man]
Thanks for that Andy, I remember he also spoke about stormy weather but as he was a great man for amusing kids I thought he had made it up.   :) :)

twocoats

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 12:04:10 AM »

`Hard men of Belfast. Silver McKee and Stormy Weather’ (Rushlight Magazine. No date c. 2002. Please note that I have left the punctuation and spelling as in the original)

Belfast has always been a rough and tumble kind of town, from its earliest days it has been an important international seaport, with its huge shipyard and the biggest linen and rope industries in the world it was on a par with any other major city of the universe, and of course we had our characters and legends.
   Growing up in 1950s Belfast I can clearly remember the accounts of two famous Belfast characters, two men who made their mark in local folklore through their street fighting abilities, “Stormy” Weather and “Silver” McKee. and you’d think appropriately enough in a city that is known for its religious differences and divides, one was catholic and the other a protestant, not that either of the two men were sectarian in their viewpoints, “Stormy” came from the protestant Shankill and “Silver” from the catholic Market district, but us kids held them in equal esteem…but I have to be honest…when ever these two met to fight, our cheers would have been for our co-religionist, for after all that old orange and green is never too far removed from any of us, dont let anyone kid you that it is.
   But I will always be fair and of “Stormy” I must speak as I have heard of him, a decent man and known for his religious tolerances, and a trade unionist activist as well when he worked at Isaac Andrews Flour Mill. One story I grew up on, about “Stormy”, was that an orange bully was slagging off a fellow worker at the mill, who happened to be a not too robust catholic on hearing the sectarian insults “Stormy” slapped the Orangeman all over the place and said, “keep that crap out of here we are all brothers here”. True or fiction I cant be sure of my next story of “Stormy”, but here it is any way, back in the mid 1950’s, televisions hit the world of working class people and before long a neighbour near you had one and so the push went on to `keep up with the Jones’s, as one would say. “Stormy”, like every other husband, was under pressure from the wife to get a television set and she forever reminded him that Mrs so and so next door has got one. This night “Stormy” sat reading his “Telegraph”, the wife kept on about the television next door until he could take no more, and if anyone knew the old Shankill houses the dividing wall between the houses was only 4 inches and crumbly as well. “Stormy” picked up a lump of 4x2 timber and said “you want a television?….Ill give ya a television”
   And with one mighty clout he knocked a hole in the wall dividing his and the home of the neighbours with the television, through the hole the neighbours and their new television could clearly be seen, “There”, said Stormy, “there is a television for ya...watch that and give my head peace woman”, and at that he sat down and continued to read his newspaper.
   “Silver” McKee, was a cattle drover, or a cow walloper, as they called them in old Belfast years ago. He would have herded the cattle down to Allam’s cattle market ready for shipment to England and elsewhere. A rough man and nobody’s fool which a certain peeler discovered one day. What happened was, this R.U.C. Seargent was walking along May Street pushing his bicycle as they did in those days when “Silver” walked passed him from behind. Now, the seargant would well have known who Silver was, and few locals didn’t know that the peeler, a big countryman, fancied himself as a fighting man. So the peeler called after Silver “Heyboy, why did you kick my bike?” Silver asked him if his head was ok. To which the peeler said he’d break Silver’s jaw. “Maybe you’d like to take that hat and tunic off and try”, said Silver. Now, the old adage is that when a peeler would enter into such an agreement he ceases to be a peeler and so his position would have no advantage or bearing in the fight whatever the outcome.
   The peeler propped his bike against a wall, removed his tunic and cap and set them on the cross bar of the bike and took up a John L. Sullivan pose, but the sad fact is, he posed too long, for Silver landed a big straight right on the peelers chin sending him sprawling on the pavement.
   As you know…peelers can never be trusted…for you see, the peeler later stood in court with his broken jaw and told how Silver attacked him for no apparent reason and Silver got a month in Crumlin Road…as for the peeler?,. well he disappeared off the streets of Belfast probably back to Ballygobackwards where he would have held the locals spellbound with his daring tale of how he broke the jaw of the hardest man in the City of Belfast when he was stationed there.
   “Stormy” and  “Silver” met and fought each other many times through the years “Silver” would have knocked on “Stormy’s” door and “Stormy” on “Silver’s”, to have a “rematch” there and then, much to the delight of any who were nearby. On some occasions Silver won and on others, Stormy, but who ever won the crowd were sure to see a hard clean fought fight by two fighting men.
   Oh there were many capable street fighters in Belfast at that time and sure, some may have been harder but none left their mark in the working class folklore of the place than the boul Stormy Weather and Silver McKee. Of course they may have had their faults and there are those who will line up now that they aren’t around to list those faults but say what they will, true or not, the fact is…Stormy and Silver  have inscribed their names in Belfast folklore.

twocoats

giannineo

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 12:19:17 AM »
I was the toughest guy in Ballynafeigh Brownies ;)

twocoats

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 12:33:33 AM »
Silver and his Mum.

bhelena

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 01:30:48 AM »
I was the toughest guy in Ballynafeigh Brownies ;)
does that mean you were a cookie  :2funny: :D ;D

Mageeka

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 02:35:51 PM »
does that mean you were a cookie  :2funny: :D ;D

Exactly Helen
G Man was a bouncer at the old "Belfast Cripples Institute," as it used ro be named

Dub

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »
Silver worked in Allams with my Uncle Billy Maynes.  Billy was a foreman there.  Silver and Billy were regular buddies in the pub after work. On one occasion there was a disagreement and Silver asked Billy outside to sort things out.  Billy always carried his favourite blackthorn stick with him, and looking at the large handle on the stick, he said, "Silver you have very hard fists, but this black thorn is just a wee bit harder". To this Silver laughed, forgot the disagreement and continued his drinking along side Billy.  On one occasion  in Allam's yard I saw Billy drop a dangerous runaway bull to its knees with a  single blow from the blackthorn. Billy and Silver remained good friends until Billy died of cancer in 1972. Indeed Silver was M.C. at Billy's  funeral, organising the lifts from Billy's House in Standfield Street to St Malachys.

All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers you are not informed.
If you do read the papers you are misinformed.( Mark Twain.)