Author Topic: B & Bs South Belfast  (Read 5016 times)

tiglet

B & Bs South Belfast
« on: August 03, 2006, 12:37:34 PM »
Hi Christopher
I'm staying in Belfast for a couple of nights in November before my husband does a model railway exhibition at Cultra.
Would be grateful for any "personal " insight into B & Bs.

Teresa

Christopher

Re: B & Bs South Belfast
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 03:04:54 PM »
Hiya Tiglet,

I received a reply from my friend who stayed at All Seasons.

Briefly her reply was as follows -

The All Season's was ok, the single rooms are big enogh, you have a t.v. kettle, tea and coffee and your own bathroom (loo and shower).

Breakfast was from 8am until 9.30 am and was more than enough to see me through the day (Irish full fry was great).

The bus to and from Belfast is just outside the front door and cost 1.30 each way and were every 10-15 mins. There is a Tesco's-co-op- and M & S food store within 10mins, and all sorts of take-away's over the road.

The people who run it are very nice. You come and go as you please, so I'd stay there again.

All the Best, Christopher

tiglet

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 07:32:42 PM »
Thank you Christopher for the information about the
All Seasons B&b it sounds perfect for me. I shall probably be living in Proni for the two days and its good to hear there are food stores nearby.

Teresa

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 08:41:17 PM »
Hiya Teresa,

The All Seasons B & B is a short walk from PRONI.
If you fancy walking to the City centre rather than taking a bus it takes about half an hour.

All the Best, Christopher

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:33:43 PM »
Ms. Mary Callan
148 Malone Road,
Belfast,
BT9 5LH
Co. Antrim, 

T: (028) 9066 7882   F: (028) 9068 3759

E: [email protected]   W: www.anoldrectory.co.uk

At The Old Rectory we are always keen to supply as much information as is possible to visitors. You can contact us by telephone, fax or email via this page or alternatively complete the online enquiry form (click the link -  right) that will give us the relevant details needed to make your stay at The Old Rectory even more enjoyable.

adrienne1

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 08:13:57 AM »
Hi Christopher, its me again (Adrienne).  I see that there is a B & B 30 mins from PRONI.  Is that pretty close for the other places useful for tracing information - Linen Hall, etc.

Could you tell me the area that these places are in - North, South, East, West Belfast. as I have no idea of the geometry of anywhere in Belfast.

Boy your bus fares are expensive.  As I have just graduated to the bus pass in England, I have just got used to travelling for free.  Is there a run-around bus ticket you can suggest that would be cheaper for the old man and me.   He's not the least interest in Family Trees, so I have to make it affordable for him to accompany me.

Many thanks.

Adrienne

Many than

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 09:11:50 AM »
Hiya Adrienne,

All Seasons is a short walk from PRONI and half an hour ... probably less to the city centre as it's about half an hour for me to travel to Befast by bus from Ballynahinch. The proprietors at All Seasons are accustomed to having quite a number of guests who visit PRONI.

I've been in touch with Translink and learnt that the fare on Metro Bus from Balmoral Avenue to the city centre is 1.30 however you can get an all day ticket ... it's best to get the one for after 10.00am as it costs 2.50 as against a 3.50. This will enable you to go across town to the LDS Family History Centre on the Holywood Road. I posted a list of about ten places on the Genealogy board Are you just starting Family History research? thread on 27th December. Please let me know if you need more information than I show on that thread.

Chris

adrienne1

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 12:02:48 PM »
Thanks Chris,

Yes I am just starting out, so I will have a look at what you suggest.

Adrienne

Wendl

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 01:57:05 AM »
Hi Adrienne1,

I have stayed at the Roseleigh Guest house at 19 Rosetta Park in the past....and I would definitely recommend it....the bus stop is just on the Ormeau rd, about a 2min walk and takes you right into the City Centre....The proprietress..."Donna"...is a wonderful woman, and always willing to help!

All the Best
Wendy 
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu

tiglet

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 12:21:36 PM »
Hi stayed in the All Seasons B & B back in November.
I really enjoyed my stay, I had a family room by myself I'm sure when I asked Carmel who owns it she said all the rooms were family. So I had a double bed all to myself and two single beds to spread my research notes as well as a desk type table.

I had the Ulster Breakfast which set me up for my visit to Proni well, I wasn't peckish until about 2 pm then just topped up with coffee and a biscuit.

It took me about 20 minutes to walk from the B & B to PRONI. And within about the same time span if you walk North from the B&B theres a M&S, Co-op and Tesco food store.

Although the B & B was on the Lisburn Road the windows do shut out the majority of any traffic noise and being a house you do not hear noise from the room next door and I slept well.

the same cannot be said for the Holiday Express Inn near Botanic station(?). My husband had booked us in as the rest of his model railway group (exhibiting at Cultra) were staying there.  Several drunk people in the corridor were making a racket until 4 in the morning and I'm sure smoking even though its Non smoking, my husband phoned down to reception and they sent the night porter up. The noise from the doors in the corridor closing was annoying and I'm sure the walls between rooms are paper thin as we could hear every word from the  people and the TV next door.

Having only about 2 hours sleep I was rather tired when going to the LDS Family History Centre that morning.

the breakfast there is help yourself and the selection is wide you could stay there for several hours while trying to dispel the feeling of being hit round the head with a brick through lack of sleep!

Teresa

adrienne1

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 09:49:19 AM »
Thank you to everyone who has replied.  I am sorry it has taken so long to get back to you but I have just returned from holiday. 

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Adrienne

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 08:16:17 AM »
Here's another for the list.

Failte Hotel Ltd.,
(Mr & Mrs Cormachin)
405, Lisburn Road,   
Belfast BT9 7EW
Tel : 028 9061 9610

angels1

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 06:45:20 PM »
HI CHRISTOPHER
                            ME AND 3 OF MY FRIENDS ARE COMING OVER TO BELFAST FOR MY BIRTHDAY AT THE END OF SEPTEMBER FOR 2 NIGHTS. LOOKED THROUGH THE WEB AND CAN'T FIND A CHEAP B&B NEAR THE CITY CENTRAL. CAN YOU HELP?

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 07:05:58 PM »
Hiya Angels1,

Welcome to the Forum.

Did you have a look at The Linen House Backpackers Hostel in Kent Street on the Hostelling International NI and Independent Hostels thread on the Forum?  If that's not suitable let me know the price range you'd expect to pay per night and I'll make some enquiries.

Christopher