Author Topic: who made the best fish and chips in belfast ??  (Read 57590 times)

Dommo

Re: who made the best fish and chips in belfast ??
« Reply #330 on: November 05, 2013, 05:47:01 AM »
Longs in Durham street and Ginny's on the old park road
Longs  is the winner
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

sonofshanks

« Reply #331 on: November 05, 2013, 06:27:54 AM »
Huddlesons, Tennant Street, Shankill Road. Best fish by a mile.
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #332 on: November 07, 2013, 06:03:56 PM »
Lilian ,was Gortfin Street next to Oakman Street ??? I remember Cunninghams having a shop there.
Astor, Now you are asking, I don't recall Oakman Street but you are probably right. Malachy Morgan's was on the Cavendish Street end corner. My Auntie used to say run up to Malachy Morgan's and get a fresh cream sponge for a wee cup of tea when I went to visit her. Don't know if I was in my Kelvin school uniform but nobody bothered in those days, we all got on together. My family is mixed and I LOVE THEM ALL. I worked in the chippie at weekends and when it got dark and the windows were open the big moths were attracted by the fluorescent lights, I spent most of my time ducking and diving as I am terrified of them. No insectacutors in those days, still hate them and spiders too, they reduce me to tears. :(

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #333 on: November 07, 2013, 06:13:52 PM »
Are Belfast pasties still the same, the ones made with vegetable roll and battered and deep fried? Everyone raves about them and my mum and auntie used to make them. Last time my sister brought me back some vegetable roll it was awful, we used to get ours from Britton Brown's next door to us on the Grosvenor Rd, it was lovely, full of leeks, veg etc. Last lot I got was pink and greasy and not much veg. Same as Tayto cheese and onion crisps, why do they have to change things. Asda sometimes do some Irish bits in March and I bought some but they were not the same, my motto is if it aint broke dont fix it! >:D Pasties in England are covered in pastry, if I get back next year I will find a chippie and sample one, YUM I hope.

Bigali

« Reply #334 on: November 07, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »
Lilian the next time you are back in Belfast try the butchers in the middle of Ballyhackamore their veggie roll is delicious, lots of leek etc.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

true blood fan

« Reply #335 on: November 20, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
THE STAR chippie templemore ave  The pasties were the size of cartwheels  

true blood fan

« Reply #336 on: November 20, 2013, 03:16:36 PM »
Fuscos on the Grosvenor Rd--great pasties

thought fuscos made ice cream  \

chink

« Reply #337 on: November 20, 2013, 04:46:07 PM »
they did   but closed down now still one opened selling only ice cream on andytown road

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #338 on: November 20, 2013, 06:00:02 PM »
Lilian the next time you are back in Belfast try the butchers in the middle of Ballyhackamore their veggie roll is delicious, lots of leek etc.
Hi Bigali, Sorry for the delay in thanking you. I have to come by plane when I come home and stay in an hotel so the veggie roll would be off by the time I got back. My sister and her husband go by car so I will tell her about the butchers, do you know the name? I am ashamed to say that I don't even know where Ballyhackamore is. :( :( I think I have been away too long with too few visits home, so c'mon enlighten me where the hack is it?  :D Lilian

Dommo

« Reply #339 on: November 20, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »
Are Belfast pasties still the same, the ones made with vegetable roll and battered and deep fried? Everyone raves about them and my mum and auntie used to make them. Last time my sister brought me back some vegetable roll it was awful, we used to get ours from Britton Brown's next door to us on the Grosvenor Rd, it was lovely, full of leeks, veg etc. Last lot I got was pink and greasy and not much veg. Same as Tayto cheese and onion crisps, why do they have to change things. Asda sometimes do some Irish bits in March and I bought some but they were not the same, my motto is if it aint broke dont fix it! >:D Pasties in England are covered in pastry, if I get back next year I will find a chippie and sample one, YUM I hope.
No one ever knew what was in a pastie. But you' never see a stray cat in an area where pasties are made.
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Bigali

« Reply #340 on: November 20, 2013, 06:08:34 PM »
Lilian I've sent you a PM  :)

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #341 on: November 28, 2013, 06:44:51 PM »
Lilian I've sent you a PM  :)
Hi Bigali, Got your message and sorry for the delay with the thanks, I have kept the info and will tell my sis about the butchers. Perhaps next year if they go home we will get some decent stuff. Lilian

Finny

« Reply #342 on: May 23, 2019, 10:28:57 PM »
Without a doubt the Moyola in North Queen Street made the best fish. It was very different from any other chip shop  in Belfast or for that matter anywhere else I have visited.
Totally agree, Iíve been in Canada since 1964, but I can still taste the Moyolas fish and chips.

Bigali

« Reply #343 on: May 23, 2019, 11:13:18 PM »
Totally agree, Iíve been in Canada since 1964, but I can still taste the Moyolas fish and chips.

If you're still tasting them from 1964 they couldnít have been good  :o

Hugh Jarce

« Reply #344 on: May 24, 2019, 07:48:34 PM »
I was recently in a chippie in Chernyobl,best leg of cod I've ever had,,,,,,,