Author Topic: who made the best fish and chips in belfast ??  (Read 67075 times)

Gerard Mcg

Re: who made the best fish and chips in belfast ??
« Reply #375 on: September 11, 2019, 09:09:56 PM »
The best kept secret that I know of is that nobody made fish and chips like my Grandmother.They were "to die for".

Nellie Mc Convery (nee Leonard".

Number26

« Reply #376 on: September 14, 2019, 10:07:32 PM »
Sorry of subject again,but post doesn’t sit well on troubles etc.two good eating places in east Belfast,5% on the gilnahirk road and general merchants on the upper n,arms road.worth a visit

Bigali

« Reply #377 on: September 14, 2019, 10:25:52 PM »
Sorry of subject again,but post doesn’t sit well on troubles etc.two good eating places in east Belfast,5% on the gilnahirk road and general merchants on the upper n,arms road.worth a visit

General Merchants is good , no doubt about it if you can manage to fight your way through all the Yummy Mummy’s and ladies who lunch and actually get a seat !
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

misssmyth1

« Reply #378 on: September 26, 2019, 01:14:48 PM »
For me it was Longs in Durham street or Tony Fuscos on the Grosvenor Road .. they did good pasties too ..Always fresh food as always busy and Mary and Tony were very nice and Frances at Longs was a lovely person she was  a friend of my mums  ..I earned a few pennies going for fish n chips for neighbours on a Friday night  i had a little bag with a strap across my shoulder to look after the money and the notes telling me what to buy. I was quick to deliver the goods so kept my clientele LOL ... happy memories

derdrei

« Reply #379 on: October 08, 2019, 11:12:14 AM »
I thought Fuscos was the best.

boxer1949

« Reply #380 on: October 08, 2019, 02:17:06 PM »
the best

Ardsmanks

« Reply #381 on: January 17, 2020, 11:02:44 PM »
Richie's on the Castlereagh Road, me and me Da used to go every Friday evening, fish suppers with baked beans, God I miss home sometimes

Bigali

« Reply #382 on: January 17, 2020, 11:09:11 PM »
Richie's on the Castlereagh Road, me and me Da used to go every Friday evening, fish suppers with baked beans, God I miss home sometimes

Richies is still a good chippy although if you look them up online you’ll probably find that their menu has changed quite a bit since you were a wean !
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

syriana

« Reply #383 on: January 18, 2020, 12:14:55 PM »

When I was a boy Ritchie's was like an oasis in a culinary desert.  I remember calling in one night for a chip after a visit to The Castle Cinema and being entertained by Vere Law tap dancing in the tiled floor.  My first Cabaret  :) .

I may be wrong but I can't recall being offered anything other than battered Whiting in chip shops back in the day in East Belfast.  Cod did not appear until the 1960's - but maybe I'm wrong - it was a long time ago.  Burgers appeared much later - they upped their game by adding a Pineapple ring and calling it a 'Hawaiian Burger'.

No answer is an answer.

bjay

« Reply #384 on: January 21, 2020, 08:35:35 PM »
Smokey Joe's in University Road could never lay claim to making the best fish and chips in Belfast.  Possibly the worst.  Used to come out of the Club Bar and buy a greasy burger and chips in his establishment. Still sad to see the building gutted last night.

papillon

« Reply #385 on: February 10, 2020, 11:46:49 PM »
Beattie's. Shankill and Tates Avenue. Jim Stewart's on Donegall Road was good too.

Billy Fish

« Reply #386 on: February 11, 2020, 05:55:59 AM »
Beattie's. Shankill and Tates Avenue. Jim Stewart's on Donegall Road was good too.

Beatties on the Shankill.  O0
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.