Author Topic: Nazareth lodge orphanage in Belfast  (Read 105721 times)

vito321

Re: Nazareth lodge orphanage in Belfast
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 04:51:12 PM »
I am looking for records for nazareth lodge My great uncle was put in there after his mother died he is on the 1911 census as being there. Just wondering if any records exist for that time and can i access them?
Also does any one know where girls around the age of 8 would have been as It seems to have been only boys is Nazareth lodge I am tryimg to trace his sisters?

Thanks for any help

teragram

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 05:38:29 PM »
Does anyone have any memoiries of Nazareth lodge orphanage in Belfast between the years of 1947 till 1953 please/ My name was Patrick J. Murtagh I was put into the orphanage aged 2weeks
old and left the home at 6years and 3months to live with adoptive parents.
Sadly I do not have any recollection of my time in the home other than having my ears pulled and pulled along the corridor by an Nun.
Paddy

I've heard so many stories of children being ill treated in these orphanages, it's got to the stage where I can't look at a nun, and have any respect for her. Same with Christian brothers,  all they seemed to understand was cruelty.  And to anyone who says you can't tar them all with the same brush, I'd say,  why get yourself involved with animals who can treat defenceless children like that.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

BARNEYKX

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 06:37:15 PM »
A LOT OF CASES OF CRUELTY TO CHILDREN IS NOW COMING OUT ABOUT THOSE PLACES,THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY ABOUT IT ALL IS, HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS THE POCKET, CLAIM FOR CHILD ABUSE SO MUCH OF IT WENT ON IN THOSE SCHOOLS AND ORPHANAGES, IT IS NOW LEGENDRY :-\ :-[

Val

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 06:38:33 PM »
Tera,

when I here these stories it makes me realise even more how much I have to be thankful for.
I come from a family of 13 and my mother died when I was six. I had a younger sister 4 and younger brother 2 at the time. My father said there was no way we were being split up and I have him and my brothers and sisters to thank, for making that possible for us all to stay together.  We are scattered all over but still remain very close none the less.

We always assumed these children were being looked after by people who really cared and it is very sad to here how many children have been mistreated.

Val  :(

BARNEYKX

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 06:46:32 PM »
BIG FAMILIES WERE HAPPY FAMILIES  I KNOW THAT FOR SURE ;D ;D ;D ;D O0

Val

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 06:47:54 PM »
Yes Barney, we had our squabbles but they never lasted long. Good Memories.  ;D ;D ;D

BARNEYKX

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 06:50:37 PM »
THATS IT VAL  GOODON YOU    ;) ;D

Val

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 07:22:47 PM »
Barney,

Life is too short for fighting and holding grudges, so I believe in trying my best every day for who knows how long we have left.

O0 ;D

tracyc

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 07:35:34 PM »
My late mother went to school with some of the kids from it. She died almost 3 years ago age 61. But she showed us some of the nun's graves in Milltown Cemetery. One name I can remember she spoke off was Sister Miriam Gerard. Is there anyone eles remember her.

Eleanor

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 08:36:36 PM »
Tera,

when I here these stories it makes me realise even more how much I have to be thankful for.
I come from a family of 13 and my mother died when I was six. I had a younger sister 4 and younger brother 2 at the time. My father said there was no way we were being split up and I have him and my brothers and sisters to thank, for making that possible for us all to stay together.  We are scattered all over but still remain very close none the less.

We always assumed these children were being looked after by people who really cared and it is very sad to here how many children have been mistreated.

Val  :(

I am so glad your father kept the family together, Val. I had a friend who was one of 13. Her mother died when she was 16 and the family was split up. Some stayed with relatives in Northern Ireland, others went to relatives in the Irish Republic or England. My friend had terrible health problems for years and also problems in relationships. Thank God, the aunt she went to live with was a kind woman. :)
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

Val

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 11:12:20 PM »
Thanks Eleanor,

as I said I have a lot to be thankful for and a great family. O0

old wallion

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 12:44:43 PM »
Hi
   Did anyone out there work in Nazareth house in the 80s??? :)

deirdre

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 10:12:21 AM »
my mother worked in the lodge for years i think she worked in the kitchen her name was jean monaghan[jinny]
...MY DAD PADDY BRENNAN WOULD HIRE A BUS AND TAKE THE KIDS TO THE SEA SIDE FOR THE DAY ALONG WITH ALL 10 OF US...WAY BACK IN THE 50'S....

maddog

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 11:32:48 AM »

this is were nazareth lodge is today  photo taken 1900

herbie

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 12:30:12 PM »
Nazareth lodge orphanage was obviously for Catholic boys - was there an orphanage for Protestant boys?