Author Topic: Nazareth lodge orphanage in Belfast  (Read 102224 times)

mauram

Re: Nazareth lodge orphanage in Belfast
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 02:56:13 PM »
Nazareth House on the Ravenhill Road was originally called Fox Lodge :)

Kateme

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2009, 03:10:56 PM »
I'm sorry so many of you have terrible memories of nuns.  I had nuns as teachers grade 4- 12 and have very fond memories of them.  In those days I believe that girls became nuns if they weren't popular or good looking.  Most of them were caring and kind.
In the first half of the 20th century, times were very hard.  I had two great uncles who were put in an orphanage in Belfast because their mother had married again after first husband died and she had many children to raise.  The second husband had no time for the children and the girls went to live with other family members and the boys went to the orphanage.  Food was scarce I remember them saying.  My uncles' sisters (especially my Gran) would make up food parcels and bring it up to them as often as they could.  Times were tough.

Val - I'm sorry you lost your mother so young. Thank God you had a great father and great brothers and sisters!! :)
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

Karen

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2009, 09:36:11 PM »
Tera,

when I here these stories it makes me realise even more how much I have to be thankful for.
I come from a family of 13 and my mother died when I was six. I had a younger sister 4 and younger brother 2 at the time. My father said there was no way we were being split up and I have him and my brothers and sisters to thank, for making that possible for us all to stay together.  We are scattered all over but still remain very close none the less.

We always assumed these children were being looked after by people who really cared and it is very sad to here how many children have been mistreated.

Val  :(

Aunt Val did you know that my mother, auntie & aunt nellie were in this lodge when granny was very sick. Aunt Nellie said she wasn't allowed to see my mom because she was a little baby, when granny heard about that she came there and took them out.

Val

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2009, 10:41:34 PM »
Karen,

Did your Aunt Nellie tell us a little about that when we were down there, I didn't realise it was the same place. Sounds just like your Granny McKinney,RIP, she wouldn't have stood any nonsense from anybody. Thank goodness.

Love ya... :-*

sj

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2009, 03:12:05 PM »
Nazareth Lodge, According to my recollection was not solely for catholic boys so unless I am missing something how did you come to that conclusion Herbie ;) :)
I would not wish anyone to be in an orphanage.
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

McNamee

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2009, 03:14:47 PM »
Hi SJ

Do you remember the "Henhouse Boy"  he was in Nazareth Lodge.  I wonder what happened to him.  It was a terrible story at the time.

sj

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2009, 03:21:14 PM »
Bernie. .I remember the henhouse boy really welll but he pales into history when you read about the story of the girl who was imprisoned by her father and had children to him.

The henhouse boy must have been about 1956. ?? >:(

How are you today...weather here is great and I have just returned from three days away in the Chinese countryside. ;)

McNamee

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2009, 03:24:59 PM »
Weather here is freezing,. not raining at this moment in time, but it is on its way AGAIN.

Oh for a bit of heat.  You lucky man.

I know it pales compared with what happens nowadays, but I remember at the time, everyone was horrified.

These things must have always gone on, but we just did not hear about them.  Now with T V and the papers everything is passed around.

sj

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 03:28:07 PM »
Bernie.....there was a group of nurses from Nazareth Lodge who added something to the dances at the Astor and the Orchid.  They were good company and mostly country girls :)

McNamee

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 03:29:32 PM »
Yes   Tuesday night at the Orpheus was Nurses Night.  Remember the springy floor.

sj

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2009, 03:43:26 PM »
Bernie....what are you taking???   The Orchid not the Orpheus was the dance of choice by the country folk .  It was on the corner at King St????

However back to Nazareth Lodge. .the lodge was an orphanage for boys and girls who were never turned away .  I haven't heard of any stories about nuns abusing their charge in this place.? ::)

I have to go now as it is past my bed time...see you soon

McNamee

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »
Sorry S J  got a bit mixed up there. :-*

old wallion

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2009, 05:51:33 PM »
Hi SJ

Do you remember the "Henhouse Boy"  he was in Nazareth Lodge.  I wonder what happened to him.  It was a terrible story at the time.
Mc Namee, The boy lived in Downpatrick for most of his life but i heard he died about a year ago. A sad story. :) :)

sj

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2009, 01:22:22 AM »
Sorry S J  got a bit mixed up there. :-*

It o.k. .it's called a C.R.A.F.T. moment....Can't Remember a F# #g Thing.I also suffer from it. :)

herbie

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2009, 04:07:59 AM »
s.j.

I thought the Nazareth Lodge was for Catholics because of nuns!  I'm in Canada and wondered where my father was raised .. Since he was protestant, I never considered Nazareth Lodge...

Thanks for the info.