Author Topic: Nazareth lodge orphanage in Belfast  (Read 104894 times)

Headline boat man

Re: Nazareth lodge orphanage in Belfast
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2009, 06:54:53 AM »
Barnardos was protestant.  Remember well going to school with the residents of Macedon House Whitehouse. 1950-1960s. they all attended St Johns COI and Whitehouse Primary School.

flashman

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2009, 11:23:05 AM »
You can read the full story of 'The Henhouse Boy' [Kevin Halfpenny] on a Feral Children site.   I have often wondered what became of him...

sj

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2009, 01:55:48 PM »
s.j.

I thought the Nazareth Lodge was for Catholics because of nuns!  I'm in Canada and wondered where my father was raised .. Since he was protestant, I never considered Nazareth Lodge...

Thanks for the info.

Herbie.....sorry if I mislead you....I meant that girls were there as well.  I might be getting it mixed up with the babies home which I think was next door.
Dr Barnardos had a home at Whiteabbey ...I think.
How is Canada. :)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Headline boat man

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2009, 07:38:50 AM »
Herbie.....sorry if I mislead you....I meant that girls were there as well.  I might be getting it mixed up with the babies home which I think was next door.
Dr Barnardos had a home at Whiteabbey ...I think.
How is Canada. :)
Whiteabbey had a girls borstal. closed and all moved to millisle 1960s.

PaddyConlon

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2009, 12:28:37 PM »
Hi, I grew up in Naz/Lodge for nearly 13yrs. I was mostly in Sister Ambroses group. I would love to find any of my friends from that era...up until 1984
By the way I really gave the nuns a hard time...however, in my opinion they had a really hard job to do and did thier best
 with what they had...people should not be so quick to judge others..you know what He says "let them without sin cast the first stone" ???
also, is thier any of the staff out there?

PaddyConlon

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2009, 12:34:04 PM »
Naz/Lodge was not just for catholics I shared a room with a lad from the shankill rd. we all got on great :)

herbie

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2009, 01:01:44 PM »
sj

Canada is great thanks.  My Dad came here in 1930 at 18 with assisted immigration.  Not that he ever told us anything about his past.. so I have been trying to piece together his life!

He was born in Belfast Workhouse in 1911 - and somewhere between birth and 18 he lived with the Shaw family and took their name... 

I read all this stuff on the forum looking for clues to his boyhood.  Been to Belfast once, loved it ..  wish I knew more .. loved my father to pieces ... 

Barnardos was one agency that sent what we call Home Children to Canada.  My father came with the assistance of the Canadian government, the United Church of Canada and the YMCA in Belfast to farm..   He made a good life in Canada - a country filled with immigrants ..  Not an easy start for him but a great finish!

After 3 years of trying to get my Irish citizenship, I finally accomplished this early this year, a very proud moment for me in memory of all my Irish ancestors.

Rambling... thanks for everyone's help.

sj

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »
sj

Canada is great thanks.  My Dad came here in 1930 at 18 with assisted immigration.  Not that he ever told us anything about his past.. so I have been trying to piece together his life!

He was born in Belfast Workhouse in 1911 - and somewhere between birth and 18 he lived with the Shaw family and took their name... 

I read all this stuff on the forum looking for clues to his boyhood.  Been to Belfast once, loved it ..  wish I knew more .. loved my father to pieces ... 

Barnardos was one agency that sent what we call Home Children to Canada.  My father came with the assistance of the Canadian government, the United Church of Canada and the YMCA in Belfast to farm..   He made a good life in Canada - a country filled with immigrants ..  Not an easy start for him but a great finish!

After 3 years of trying to get my Irish citizenship, I finally accomplished this early this year, a very proud moment for me in memory of all my Irish ancestors.

Rambling... thanks for everyone's help.

Herbie.....don't go away as this forum is full of surprises and you never know what will pop out of the woodwork.I have seen stories like yours before solved by someone reading your posts.
Where did the Shaws live and did he work anyplace in Belfast.? ;)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Kateme

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2009, 04:13:47 PM »
Naz/Lodge was not just for catholics I shared a room with a lad from the shankill rd. we all got on great :)
Welcome to the Forum Paddy.  Don't give up searching even if you don't hear for a while.  I was on a good three months before I found a long lost friend.  I love your story - would love to hear more of what it was like.  Again, welcome. :hi:
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

glenb

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2009, 04:33:29 PM »
As mentioned before in this forum, we used to bring a boy home from the N/Lodge in the summer so he could have a break (many other families did the same).

I haven't heard about the person for 40 years, didn't know if he was still alive.

Through this forum I got a personal email from someone that knows him well, and now can contact the person. My Mother is 90, she will be pleased when I tell her.

danso

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2009, 04:59:43 PM »
hi glenb just spok to tony this afternoon he keeping well

glenb

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Danso, great. I just talked to my Mother, she was very pleased to hear Tony is ok...I didn't realize she knew the specifics of Tony's parents, I guess that was provided when you brought someone home. She said she's (like I) thought about him for many a year, made her day. I must dig out a photo of him and I on Santa's knee, I think it was in the old Co-Op. Santa was drunk as a lord, the moustache falling off him. Tony and I were about 10, too big and too old to be sitting on Santa's knee, he could barely hold us, but by the smiles on our gobs I don't think we cared too much

all the best

herbie

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2009, 06:14:19 PM »
sj

Thanks for the encouragement!   James and John Shaw lived on Hazelnut Street - which no longer exists.  I also found them on the Ulster Covenant on Hazelnut. 

My father had apprenticed to be a bricklayer in Belfast - not sure where. 

Not sure why he lived with the Shaws.  But he took their name and I guess that was ok with them.

He was born Dowds.

I keep checking the forum... you never know .. I haven't given up yet.

Thanks again.

Kateme

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2009, 06:17:01 PM »
Danso, great. I just talked to my Mother, she was very pleased to hear Tony is ok...I didn't realize she knew the specifics of Tony's parents, I guess that was provided when you brought someone home. She said she's (like I) thought about him for many a year, made her day. I must dig out a photo of him and I on Santa's knee, I think it was in the old Co-Op. Santa was drunk as a lord, the moustache falling off him. Tony and I were about 10, too big and too old to be sitting on Santa's knee, he could barely hold us, but by the smiles on our gobs I don't think we cared too much

all the best
That's a great story Glen.  Your mother is marvelous - she remembers everything.  Can't wait to see that photo.  My mother took me down to the Co as well for pictures.
“Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.”

Eileenov

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2009, 02:15:34 AM »

all the best
I posted a thread on The Forum 12th February, Belfast History Board titled Visiting Santa at Robbs. I know some people added pictures of Santa visits to the Coop. I thought you might be interested. Eileenov