Author Topic: Beggars on Belfast Streets  (Read 15421 times)

Christopher

Re: Beggars on Belfast Streets
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 03:24:10 AM »
Ach you are probably right there btheboot ... walk past and dont give them anything. But when you do your sums ... the cost of keeping their 4 x 4 on the road is in the region of 100+ per week. Those vehicles do not come cheap. An educated guesser would probably be correct in saying some of the people you see begging have already paid out big money to come to this country and are being controlled by a gang master. Remember the cockle fishers who drowned a few years ago off the Lancashire coast. The people doing the begging cannot get out of the clutches of the gangmaster. The farmers in Norfolk use overseas workers to pick fruit .. factories use them to chop and pack veg. After a days work some of those workers may go home to sleep in a small room with more than a dozen people in the room ... start thinking.  In Ireland, not too far from Dublin, some large building contractors are employing cheap labour on building sites and antagonising Irish building workers as they are put out of a job and forced to accept lower wages if they want work. The beggars we see on our streets are the tip of a very big heap of muck.

Mr Bounce

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2006, 12:28:32 AM »
OK you got me going here,why are people making a career out of selling the big issue.same people every week,month, year im talking about forstside traffic lights. i just wont give.why cant we be like south africa were people stand at the junctions of roads looking for casual labour,it might sound awful but i would feel yeah these people are willing to work,not skiving about looking something for nothing.

BEAUTIFUL

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2006, 07:53:13 AM »
To whom it may concern in the Belfast City Council or PSNI or whoever is responsible for moving the beggars on .. start doing it. What's the problem? If you move the beggars do you also have to move the entertainers?
I think many people are like myself .. we enjoy the entertainers but do not want the beggars so there must be a way to move one but not the other. If an information officer from either the City Council or PSNI reads this would you like to register and post a message explaining why beggars are not moved on

SURELY POSTS LIKE THESE SHOULD BE MOVED-SOME BEGGARS HAVE NOTHING AND YOU DO NOT KNOW THEIR CIRCUMSTANCES.PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF TOURSELF, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT WAY YOU COULD END UP YOURSELF

Christopher

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2006, 09:23:29 AM »

SURELY POSTS LIKE THESE SHOULD BE MOVED-SOME BEGGARS HAVE NOTHING AND YOU DO NOT KNOW THEIR CIRCUMSTANCES.PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF TOURSELF, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT WAY YOU COULD END UP YOURSELF

There is no necessity to use capital letters to type your messages Beautiful. It makes it extremely difficult to read. Obviously you were not listening to the Stephen Nolan Show yesterday morning. A woman on that programme mentioned beggars selling the Big Issue. She went to do her shopping at the weekend. A car pulled up beside her. Who was in it ... two of Belfast's beggars in a better car than the caller owned. She saw their trolley full of shopping .. they had spent far more than she could afford to spend. What the heck are you talking about .. have you not heard of Social Security and all the benefits that are available to people. There is no need to beg in the UK in the 21st Century. Begging is a criminal offence and enforcement of the anti-begging laws is an essential part of an overall strategy to tackle the links between begging and drug use.
Source: crimereduction.gov.uk

BEAUTIFUL

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2006, 10:09:13 AM »
come on now your not serious!!

Christopher

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2006, 10:18:52 AM »
I suppose, Beautiful, no one agrees with my opinion. Everyone agrees with you. Maybe I should be posting on the Jokes and Funnies board. Of course I am serious. I'm deadly serious. I have mentioned begging is a criminal offence and is connected to the drugs trade. Answer me this ... how do many druggies pay for their daily supply? I will tell you ... they beg, break into houses and assault the elderly (then ransack the place in search of valuables), pickpocket, steal, snatch hand bags and purses. The begging you see is the tip of a very big iceberg. You are looking at life through rose coloured glasses. Maybe they are sunglasses. Take them off. Read newspapers and listen to the radio. The local newspapers, local radio and TV are full of stories about the elderly been beaten up by hoods. Sure some elderly people have died as a result of their injuries. There are thousands of people who go to work each day .. they do not earn all that much but they respect themselves and their neighbours respect them. There's no way the majority of beggars in Belfast can be respected .. the odd one OK but the majority of them are making a career of it. They are probably able to send a hefty amount of their weekly take from begging home to their relatives in the country from which they originally came. You never saw someone from China, India or Pakistan begging in Belfast. People from those countries were prepared to work.

Christopher

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2006, 12:26:42 PM »

Why should posts asking the City Councillors and PSNI to move beggars out of the city centre be moved? Are you proud of Belfast. The place is a disgrace. Belfast is a lovely city so why is it allowed to have all the beggars on the streets. It's not as though those beggars cannot get a job. They sit and rattle a tin and cannot speak a word of English. Who let them into the UK without a job or at least the possiblity of getting a job? Were they employed? Were they sacked. I was in a well known cafe in Fountain Street not too long ago .. one came in there with a card with her message written on it as she could not speak English. I'll not name the place as an upmarket restaurant permitting a beggar to walk through the door and annoy customers could lose a lot of potential business.

sorry folks i am only stating that there are beggars who can not work or who have nothing.

But in future when i use these boards i will try to keep my posts of interest to others.

sorry christopher/pentio

Thanks for the apology Beautiful.

We have Social Security and Charitable Organisations for everything under the sun. so if the beggars cannot work why have they nothing? Are they entitled to be in this country?

eddiec

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2006, 03:04:47 PM »
It's not as though those beggars cannot get a job. They sit and rattle a tin and cannot speak a word of English.

Not that I am in favour of begging but...

Do you recall last Christmas many of them were arrested for selling roses??

It was shown then that quite a few were pressurised into begging. 

I've heard it many times how they are dropped of to their designated pitches and picked up again.

Given the current situation with racial attacks etc who are they going to ask for help?? It also seems the authorities dont want to be seen to be picking on ethnic minorities... not PC...
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

Twocoats

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2006, 11:15:01 PM »
"There but for the grace of God go I" There have been panhandlers and beggars on the streets of Belfast and Dublin for years. Some of them don't want to be there. I certainly wouldn't no matter what my circumstances. How do you all know their race or religion. As long as they do not physically harass you as a free man or women you can make a judgement call and gives them a few bob. I just got back from Belfast and there was a so called busker with his kid brother wailing out some song. I was so embarrassed for him I gave him a couple of quid and told him he would get more money if he stopped trying to sing. Twocoats

Fermanagh June

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2006, 10:51:06 PM »
 ;D Up here in Fermanagh is where most of your "beggars" live folks, I have seen them in Belfast yes, selling the Big Issue or simply begging, then on my return home I see the same guys n girls get out of flash cars and go into our local shop then leave with big stuffed bags get into thier flash new cars and drive 140 yards up the road into the driveway of thier new houses, newbuilds in our Rural area.
It sickens me.
The latest in grab culture up here is a dog a child and an adult, they bring the dog usually a stray onto the road it gets hit by a car, the car owner gets out and the child is in floods of tears at the loss of the family pet, the adult offers the driver the ultimatum " pay me 1000.00 and I will not report the incident.

This is a scam used by both travelers and the influx population of other cultures into our wee village.
June

Heres another one that gets me! Maxine Carr the woman charged with her fella of murdering Jessica and Holly? was given a flat in Enniskillen a new identity and a job in the offices above Heatons! that will teach her!

Who is running this world anyway?
If ya cant be good be careful.

Christopher

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2006, 10:59:34 PM »
June, could you clarify a point for me please? I read a report in the Belfast Telegraph that a local woman, I forget her name, had been mistaken for Maxine Carr. The report said she looked nothing like Maxine.

eddiec

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2006, 11:28:59 PM »
I remember that story Chris but I think the girl refered to lived in Derry
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

Christopher

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2006, 12:04:56 AM »
I remember that story Chris but I think the girl refered to lived in Derry

I checked that one eddie. It was Karen Meek from Coleraine who received all the hassle.

Fermanagh June

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2006, 11:40:02 AM »
June, could you clarify a point for me please? I read a report in the Belfast Telegraph that a local woman, I forget her name, had been mistaken for Maxine Carr. The report said she looked nothing like Maxine.

To clear this one up, Maxine Carr Lived in a flat in Enniskillen was driven by security to and from her work above Heatons in Enniskillen, she was finished this job and progressed to another a few months ago. There were so many complaints including mine since the bus station in Enniskillen is FILLED daily with all ages of kids on the way home from school.
Another little known fact is the murders of Jamie Bulger not only got new ID's new life but one got a compleet sex change paid for by the UK tax payers.
If ya cant be good be careful.

Christopher

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2006, 11:46:22 AM »
Ummm. That sounds as though toy boys should be careful approaching women on dating sites :D
BTW Is the moral of the story that a beggar should commit a crime, get locked up and be treated like Royalty ???