Author Topic: Ballygomartin Secondary: Who was always sayin' "it's no skin off my nose"?  (Read 68453 times)

irishcypriot

I think it was a geography teacher but I can't be sure. And there was another guy who taught woodwork I think -- he bent mirrors and then charged all the children to see something that would make them laugh  :D what a cast of characters there were :)

Rosser

Irishcypriot, what years did you go to Ballygo? I went from 1969 - 1974, there were some characters but also some eejits, do you remember Loopy Lou with the big diddies who taught French.
How's yer belly off for blackheads

irishcypriot

I think it was until 71 or thereabout. It wasn't for too long as I arrived late and left early.

Hendy

I think it was a geography teacher but I can't be sure. And there was another guy who taught woodwork I think -- he bent mirrors and then charged all the children to see something that would make them laugh  :D what a cast of characters there were :)
Geography Teacher McGookin
Woodwork Teachers, Wee Willy Williamson, McIntyre (also did Tech drawing)

stewie

Woodwork Teachers, Wee Willy Williamson
one of the best teachers in the school Hendy O0 a first class bloke O0

Rosser

Maths teachers, Tedford, Harry Wilson, Geog, Herbie Artt, History, Cooke,French. Parsons- PE Bowden- Science Price.
How's yer belly off for blackheads

irishcypriot

Yeah, I must be thinking of wee willie. Do any of you remember him making bent mirrors? I made a whale in his woodwork class and the end result taught me that woodwork was probably not for me  :D It was the geography teacher who would always end up in frustration shouting "it's no skin off my nose".

melv

Woodwork Teachers, Wee Willy Williamson
one of the best teachers in the school Hendy O0 a first class bloke O0
Correct stewie, Willie was a true gent, years after i left school, he would have stopped  the car if he saw you, just to ask how you were gitting on, other teachers i remember where, SAMMY OAR, THE BEATNICK?, CHUCK CALDWELL, AND THE EVIL, WILKINSON.  melv.
C.O.Y.S.

Hendy

Correct stewie, Willie was a true gent, years after i left school, he would have stopped  the car if he saw you, just to ask how you were gitting on, other teachers i remember where, SAMMY OAR, THE BEATNICK?, CHUCK CALDWELL, AND THE EVIL, WILKINSON.  melv.
1964 - 1969 Ruddle Maths, Reid Gardening, Cheyene Science, Wilkinson Physics, Wilson PE, Morrow Art & Crafts, McCormack Music, Redpath Maths, Beatnick Art, Keenan RE, Dornan ?, McGookin Geography, Tedford Maths, Bingham PE, Boden PE, Jelly ?, Davidson Metalwork, Wilkinson (Bearded one) Geography, Wee Willy Woodwork (worked for my Da part time as a joiner), McIntyre Tech Drawing, Chuck  >:( Run, and a couple whose names elude me at the moment but I will recall ;)

artibell

artibell

Re: Ballygomartin Secondary: Who was always sayin' "it's no skin off my nose"?
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »

William Corbet
He gave me the previous photo of the hockey class 1960s

Headline boat man

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 06:41:46 AM »
Was that not a hurling class?.   :D

Hendy

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 08:02:46 AM »
We only ever hurled full house bricks at ballygo not like those shirt lifters from Somerdale who could only manage halfers :D
BTW William Corbet was in my class at Ballygo and also at Argyle Primary, he's now a Pastor I was told. :angel: :hi:

Hendy

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 08:07:51 AM »

William Corbet back row second in on left, Teacher Bowden I think played for Lisnagarvey,  I think the lad wearing the tie back row second right could be Jacky Graham and is that Isaac King sitting on the extreme front right?
Can anyone add more names?

bricat

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 10:47:17 AM »
wilkinson was a sadist,  >:( just loved caning pupils,especially if you were 1 minute late, barney ruddel was a brilliant maths teacher, strict but fair, and the best teacher of the lot was mc cormick (mozart) the music teacher.
i played in the orchestra,wind band,silver band, was in the choir and the madrigal group, if i had a class i didn't want to do i told the teacher that i had a music lesson to go to, then told mc cormick we had a free period, then just sat in the store listening to music  :D
cheyenne (science) used to hang we billy dewey by the back of his coat from a coat hook, thought he was being funny, and the last person you wanted caned by was Gilmore the metal work teacher, broken fingers job.  :D
If i'd known i was goin ta live this long i would've taken better care of meself