Author Topic: Ballygomartin Secondary: Who was always sayin' "it's no skin off my nose"?  (Read 68452 times)

Hendy

Re: Ballygomartin Secondary: Who was always sayin' "it's no skin off my nose"?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 08:20:14 PM »

Cleaned up a bit

btheboot

went to ballygomartin from 59- 62, wilkinson was a sadist,ruddle was alright,harold wilson ta ught us english and sometimes smoked tea leaves in his pipe, cathcart was woodwork,mcintyre taught tech. drawing,casey and or nixon science,another sadist with steel rimmed glasses taught us religon, cant remember his name,he liked to slap us on both ears at once, once after being out of school for years me and another ballygo boy ran into him outside the city hall, hello boys how are you he said, i slapped him on both ears and we ran,served him right. only one woman in the school, the secretary,we were all in love with her. the caretaker used to sell biscuits for a penny at break,he made a fortune.ken armstrong was one of the pt teachers,he played rugby for ireland and was a good cricketer and played a mean basketball game, all of which he tried to teach us, all we wanted was football. caldwell was the headmaster and he was pretty good with the cane himself. the gardening teacher grew bamboo and first day back would go class to class with a selection of canesand the teacher would pick one or two,and select a known troublemaker to try it out on. john bryson sat beside me in geog. and never did his homework,when it was time to hand it in he would put two blank sheets of paper under mine and pass it in, my nerves were shot but he was never caught .nixon used to come to school on a moterbike, one winter day from the top floor we could see into the chemistry lab and here was ter man nixon stripping off his long johns much to our amusement, later in the morning he came into our class for some reason,frank hood could not contain himself and shouted what about yer bvd's, nixon grabbed the window pole and chased him out the door and down the corridor and onto the road trying to hit him, frank was fat but he could move when he wanted.happy days  sometimes

Hendy

Remember one lunch time the bell went for break over, the snow was laying on the ground so I made a slushy snowball and lobbed it in the air at three lads in front of me, missed them and hit Wilkinson who had just come round the corner, being the gent he was he warmed my hands for me.

zeebeedee

I was at  Ballygo the year it opened, the first term at assembly a boy from Highfield was paraded in front of the whole school, made to bend over a chair and given six of the best by Chuck Caldwell - his crime - bringing an air pistol to school.
Ballygo was the best behaved school in the town for the rest of that school year :D
Political Correctness is the new Fascism
There is no-one more unchristian than the devout Christian

Hendy

I was at  Ballygo the year it opened, the first term at assembly a boy from Highfield was paraded in front of the whole school, made to bend over a chair and given six of the best by Chuck Caldwell - his crime - bringing an air pistol to school.
Ballygo was the best behaved school in the town for the rest of that school year :D
Jeziz Zee in later years some of the pupils brought in the real thing, what would chuck have given them, or would he have risked getting a copper sleeping tablet for his efforts. A hell of a lot of those pupils went on to higher education in the Maze   :D

mrs mourinho

ma wee hubby wants 2 no does any1 remember Jimmy Jesus (Jim Thompson)..Pritchard,Reynolds????
always look on the bright side of life

stewie

ma wee hubby wants 2 no does any1 remember Jimmy Jesus (Jim Thompson)..Pritchard,Reynolds????
aye i knew Jim Thompson pretty well,was talking to him recently,he,s not teaching anymore,he is working for the citzens advice,remember mr Reynolds but haven,t seen him in years :)

madmick

I was at ballygomartin school many many years ago any one remember Mr Pettygrew the art and pottery teacher In the years I was there he never used a cane on us He would dig out a large lump of modeling clay hold your hand down and lob it on your hand
good old days
john doolan

stevieboy

Memories of Ballygo 1964-1969 Head `Chuck` Caldwell, Room 1 The`Wilk`, R2 Prep room `Rubber Gub` Gibson, R3 Braniff , R4 Cheyene , R5 Prep room `Pretty Boy` Pritchard, R6 `Doctor Beaker` Casey / Reynolds, R7 Joe`90` Reid, Main Building Ground floor, PE Locker room, Wee `Jethro` Bowden, Davey `punt it ` Wilson, Ray`right boys`Bingham. R8 Wee Harry `nip along there` Wilson. R9 `Errol` Flynn, R10 Wee Willie Logan R11 Jack`Jasper`Craig / Wee Ivan Redpath R12 Keenan/ Mervyn `the beast` Andrews,
R13 (unlucky for most) `Barney` Ruddle, R14 Ken`Ducky`Surgenor/ Gilmore R15 `Davo`Davison, R16 Johnny Crooks W/Work, R17 Wee `Lulu`Lewis R18 `Tube` McIntyre, R19 Music Cook ? / Gay McIntyre
R20 `Mozart` McCormick, R21,22 stores? R23 `Hirum Holiday`Anderson, R24 ? R25 Telford R26 Rodney ` Stiffner` Skelton, R27 Wilson Tech-draw, R28 Coffey Tech-draw ? R29 Wee Willie Williamson tech-draw,
R30 George ` you flamming bumtit` Morrow, R31 Wee `Beatnick` McDonald, R32 Store ? R33 Karl`Rubber Gub` Murray, R34 Stan`the man` McIroy, R35 Victor `Tickle` Nichol, R36 Cliff Thompson.

stevieboy

Further Memories: Justice or rather, injustice Ballygo style: It was 1965/66 I think and I was in my 2nd year at Ballygo. One morning we marched into assembly as usual but instead of big ears`Chuck` taking it, it was George `The Wilk` who walked on stage. After the first hymn was sung `the Wilk` barked out `let us pray`but just before he could lead off in prayer, a senior boy at the back of the hall broke wind - violently ! (at the very least a 9 on the richter scale)
The entire assembly was in uproar,some of the teachers even struggled to maintain straight faces, `the Wilk` was left standing on the platform looking stupid and with steam coming out of his ears, a scapegoat had to be found !
The `Wilk` pointed into the 1st formers at the front and said`you boy, room 1` the boy protested his innocience, but the`Wilk` retorted `room 1 now ! `, again the boy protested and the`Wilk` put his hand through his hair and said`boy i am going to lace you, room 1 now !` With that the boy left to report to room 1 and as I later found out, received a right lacing from the `Wilk`. Everyone at assembly that day knew that the `fart` had come from the back of the hall, but this was `the Wilk`s` way of saving face.

stevieboy

Does anyone remember `wee beatnick` McDonald ? A rare wee creature indeed. Four foot nothing, ginger hair, a wee ginger goatee and rimless specs. He could not cane to save his life but insisted on using the cane himself. He had the most peculiar action, when lifting his arm with the cane, his right leg would also lift up off the ground. As his arm came down to deliver the stroke, so to would his leg come down at the same time. It was hilarious to watch ! He gave me four strokes one day and it was like being savaged by a dead sheep. I was only mean`t to receive two strokes, but I could not stop laughing at this wee man`s leg going up and down. On the last day of term in 66/67 I think, he was standing talking to a crowd of boys when a group of leavers walked by. A fist went through the crowd and caught `wee beatnick` a haymaker, which floored him.

stevieboy

Does anyone remember Cliff Thompson at Ballygo? He was my form teacher in second and third year. He was an absolute gentleman, a committed christian and Irelands number 1 table tennis player, for some years. I think he may have died in a car crash in the mid 70s, but I am not sure. :(

stevieboy

Does anyone remember Mervyn `the beast` Andrews, Class A, Grade A, sadist ? He would hit you with whatever came to hand, eg, blackboard duster, window pole and his favourite was the 2 x 1 piece of wood from the school desks that most of us would put our feet on. He would make you bend over the desk and wack you as hard as he could.
We were in 1st form and he sent for a boy from 2nd form. He grabbed this boys hair and continually beat his head against the blackboard, until the boy begged him to stop. The boy :angry2: :angry2: s `crime` ! He wanted to leave the hockey team that Andrews looked after ! The biggest joke of all was that Andrews taught RE !

stevieboy

Hockey team photo: Mike`Jethro` Bowden played hockey at senior level for Lisnagarvey. He also played section one cricket for Lisburn. He may have represented Ireland at both sports although I am not sure.
The lad in the back row extreme right might be Bill Baird and the lad in the front row 4th from the left might be Edward Phillips. :D

gismo

it strange the amount of sadist u get in every school i think they take their frustration out on the puples if their wifes give them a hard time ,the night before  gismo