Author Topic: Ballygomartin Secondary: Who was always sayin' "it's no skin off my nose"?  (Read 66036 times)

stevieboy

Ballygo certainly had more than its fair share of `sadists` posing as `teachers`. It seemed that middle class teachers were there to beat an education into the working class boys of the Shankill, Crumlin, Springfield, Highfield and New Barnsley areas. Some of the `teachers` would have been more at home in Hitlers SS. :angry2:

sonofshanks

Remember the `Wilk` OK. Sadist first class. He would look for any excuse to cane a boy, particularly a first former. I remember first form 1964/65. When you are in first form you don't really know who the `Sadists` are, unless someone (an older family member or friend) tells you. We had to go to the Prep room for science. The only way into this room was via Room 1. We were queuing up outside room 1 and I suppose being first formers a little noisy. Bill (can`t remember his surname) our form leader was doing his best to keep us quiet and in line but was losing the battle. Suddenly the door swung open and there stood the `Wilk` with a face on him as though he had just smelt [censored]. He put his hand through his hair (always a bad sign from the `Wilk`) looked at the form leader and said `What section is this ?`Bill replied rather abruptly `1G2.` The `Wilk` drew his hand back and gave Bill a slap across the face that almost took his head off. `Say Sir, when you speak to me boy`shouted the `Wilk`. Bill replied rather sheepishly `1G2 Sir`. The `Wilk` then walked up and down the line of boys and said `If you ever come to this door in this manner again, I will personally lace every boy in this section.` Thereafter we were like mice outside the`Wilks` room. Sometimes you learn the hard way :scratch_ones_head:
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

stevieboy

The teachers to steer clear of were as I recall; Chuck Caldwell, The `Wilk`, Braniff, Jasper Craig, Mervin Andrews, Barney Ruddell, Surgeoner/Gilmore (metal work) Tube McIntyre (wood work) Mozart McCormick, Hiram Anderson, Karl Murray, Stan McIlroy and there was another fellow by the name of Patterson who was a little too fond of the old John Barleycorn and got fired.

sonofshanks

I remember Patterson. He was a science teacher who liked rugby. Yes, he was a little too fond of the old John Barleycorn. I remember an incident up at the playing fields when he was Brahms and Liszt. Some boy made a wisecrack to him and he chased the boy around the pitch calling him every swear word under the sun. He was wearing a suit but kept falling down in the mud, it was pathetic to watch. It was shortly after this incident that he was fired.

Another teacher who was fired was `Farmer Jackson` who had a very broad west country accent. He taught RE and his writing on the blackboard was worse than Egyptian Hieroglyphics. He would take the needle if anyone continually asked him what words were written on the board. He was caught gambling for money with the sixth formers and got the sack.

headboatman

Joe Reid was principal of Carrick College for many years and is presently a member of NEELB. he has retired to his pigeon loft. He was also a UUP councillor in Carrick Council. 

sonofshanks

Yea, remember Joe Reid OK. Room 7 Rural Science. I was never taught by him but he was in charge of 2nd year football team in which I played. He always seemed quite fair to me.
I am currently getting together some photos of Ballygomartin school football teams 1962/69 period which I will upload on site shortly.
 :smile:

stevieboy

Does anyone remember Rodney `Stiffner` Skelton, Room 26, English teacher? He looked like a cross between Manfred Mann and Rolf Harris. He was a right mug who had no idea on how to control kids.
When the entire class would start humming he would jump up out of his seat, his nostrills would flare out and he would open the classroom door and announce, `There is an open door to room 23 for anyone who wants it` Room 23 was `Hiram Anderson`s` class where Skelton would send you for misbehaving.
`Hiram` would take a very dim view and give you a warm pair of hands. He was quite good swinging the old bamboo stick.

In my four years at Ballygo I never saw George Morrow the Art teacher use a cane. Instead if you did something wrong he would come up behind you and give you a little karate chop to the back of your neck.
He would also call you a `Flamming bumtit` or tell you that, you were talking `balls` He was one of the better teachers.

sonofshanks

Stevieboy: Remember Geordie Morrow OK. Always found him very fair. He had grey hair, grey beard and eyes like organ stops. I did a terrible sketch one day and Geordie called me a `Bum faced baboon` and gave me a little karate chop on the back of the neck. I liked Geordie a lot.

Remember Skelton as well. He was a right mug OK and I remember how he got his nickname. (Stiffner) He would also run down to your desk and give you a punch in the arm. On the last day of term in 1969 about a dozen or so of us were going round saying our goodbyes to some teachers and when we got to Skeleton's room unfortunately for him he bent over in front of us to put some books away in a cupboard. Cant remember who it was but Skelton got a kick up the backside and we all ran. :smile:

stevieboy

sonof : I can recall the incident with Skelton getting a boot up the backside. I also remember `wee beatnick`being punched and also `wee Ivan` Redpath squaring up to a pupil much taller than himself on the last day of term. Last day of term usually brought some sort of incident or other, didn't it ? `Wee Ivan` Redpath although 4 foot nothing always fancied himself as a bit of a hard man, but it was all in his mind, he couldn't have beat a base drum !

headboatman

Must have been in the Shankill Defenders. :air_kiss: :air_kiss:

stevieboy

headboatman: Dont think wee Ivan could have lifted a base drum.

Hendy

I was in the first form 64/65 and was in 1P , Harry Wilson was the Form Teacher, don't remember a 1G2 but I was in 2G2 the second year.
Remember the `Wilk` OK. Sadist first class. He would look for any excuse to cane a boy, particularly a first former. I remember first form 1964/65. When you are in first form you don't really know who the `Sadists` are, unless someone (an older family member or friend) tells you. We had to go to the Prep room for science. The only way into this room was via Room 1. We were queuing up outside room 1 and I suppose being first formers a little noisy. Bill (can`t remember his surname) our form leader was doing his best to keep us quiet and in line but was losing the battle. Suddenly the door swung open and there stood the `Wilk` with a face on him as though he had just smelt [censored]. He put his hand through his hair (always a bad sign from the `Wilk`) looked at the form leader and said `What section is this ?`Bill replied rather abruptly `1G2.` The `Wilk` drew his hand back and gave Bill a slap across the face that almost took his head off. `Say Sir, when you speak to me boy`shouted the `Wilk`. Bill replied rather sheepishly `1G2 Sir`. The `Wilk` then walked up and down the line of boys and said `If you ever come to this door in this manner again, I will personally lace every boy in this section.` Thereafter we were like mice outside the`Wilks` room. Sometimes you learn the hard way :scratch_ones_head:

stevieboy

Hendy: Sounds like you were a year ahead of me. I was in the following classes:
1965/66 1G2 Wee Bill Logan form teacher
1966/67 2G2 Cliff Thompson form teacher
1967/68 3G2 Cliff Thompson form teacher
1968/69 4G3 Wee Willie `Woodworm` Williamson, form teacher.

sonofshanks

The teachers to steer clear of were as I recall; Chuck Caldwell, The `Wilk`, Braniff, Jasper Craig, Mervin Andrews, Barney Ruddell, Surgeoner/Gilmore (metal work) Tube McIntyre (wood work) Mozart McCormick, Hiram Anderson, Karl Murray, Stan McIlroy and there was another fellow by the name of Patterson who was a little too fond of the old John Barleycorn and got fired.

Stevieboy: Do you remember the time in first form when we got caught on the `beak`?

stevieboy

Stevieboy: Do you remember the time in first form when we got caught on the `beak`?
Sure do. Thought I had got away with it until wee `Logie` told me how disappointed he was with me and then said`Oh by the way, Mr.Ruddell wants to see you in his room at break. Knew Id had it then.