Author Topic: Ancestry Lookups  (Read 35765 times)

bnezzy

Ancestry Lookups
« on: August 21, 2008, 10:00:53 AM »
I have a subsciption to Ancestry.co.uk, I am willing to do any lookups, just leave the details here

Bill

jp08

Re: Ancestry Lookups
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 03:06:47 PM »
It won't be of great use to Norn Iron people however, although they have recently added the Griffiths Valuations (available for free elsewhere) and they do have military records (although these are sadly incomplete due to the WW2 fires).

It would be great if they got their hands on the Ireland BMD data (what there is of it) if only to avoid the money I've been chucking at www.irish-roots.ie.

I curse the 1922 fires every week - not quite up there with the destruction of the Great Library of Alexandria but it was the loss of 1000 years of documented history and people. Terrible.

Genfan

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:01:56 PM »
A friend gave me a year's subscription to Ancesty, and I have had a ball tracing my American side of the family back to Europe.  It has not helped me with my Irish side however. Still, it is a nice offer, and perhaps someone can get some help!  :)

scarletmill

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 05:52:16 PM »
Hi bnezzy
That is really nice to offer other forum members, I was wondering if you could have a rummage around for me. My gg granda Robert McClinton was the head of house in until 1929 when his daughter Alicia took over in 1930 so I assume that he died during this period but I can't find any record of his death. I have left details with the City Cemetery (OpenDay) but its a long haul when I don't have the exact date (he isn't in the Shankill Rest or Clifton). He lived in 118 Cambrai Street with his wife Mary Ann, daughter and grandson Samuel. Hope that your check can prove more fruitful than mine.

June

McClinton, Boyd, McMullan, McClay, Harrison, Stafford, McVeigh
McClinton, Boyd, McCreight (Belfast, Ballyhill, and Carmoney)
McMullan, McGurk, McLeister, Taylor, Glass, McKillop
(Dunloy, Portglenone and Rasharkin

bnezzy

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »
As the previous posters have said Ancestry.co.uk have hardly any Irish Records,
and there is no mention of a Robert McClinton apart from American War Records.
A  great Deal of our Country Men and Women came to England and thats were Ancestry is very useful.

I purchased a years Subscription to find my Irish Roots and it is going to waste.

sadowds

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 08:39:30 PM »
Have been trying to find info on my grandfather. He is Hugh Dowds, born December 25, 1884 in Antrim, Belfast. Have no idea of his parents names. Have managed to find some info on m y grandmother's family her name was Esther Linton  b. July 7, 1885. Don't know if you can find anything. Much help would be greatly appreciated. :-*
family names:Dowds, Linton, Stewart

herbie

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 01:47:24 PM »
Dowds - for sadowds - your grandfather was born December 25, 1884.  My grandmother Maggie Dowds was probably born in 1887 give or take a year or two.  Do you know of your grandfather's brothers and sisters?  My search takes me to Molyneaux Street in 1911 - Docks area.   

Any info you have might help me as well.  And good luck..

sadowds

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 07:46:41 PM »
using another site I found through the forum I found out his father's name was James. Accoding to my cousin he had a brother named James and a sister named Margaret.
family names:Dowds, Linton, Stewart

herbie

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 09:25:36 PM »
According to your cousin...  what does your cousin know about the family - does he know where they lived?    Are you in Ireland?    I am in Canada. 

The only other thing that I know about my grandmother is that she had a wooden leg. 

doe

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 09:37:45 PM »
Hi bneezy.
 Is there a census for N. Ireland for 1901 or 1911  on ancestry?

bnezzy

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 10:16:24 AM »
Much to my regret, the info on Ireland is very sparse, and what there is can be found all over the net

but England, Wales & Scotland have all the Census's from 1841 to 1901

Ancestry.com I checked this out and there is no further Irish records but American Census returns are listed until 1930

I have been able to find some but not all WW1 Records for the Belfast Rifles

quarefella

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 03:49:59 PM »
The 1901 & 1911 census of Ireland is going on the internet county by county FREE. Only Dublin city 1911 is complete so far but Antrim & Down 1911 are scheduled to be up & running in October 2008. Check it out.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/about/index.html

jp08

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 04:03:19 PM »
And not forgetting the 1901 and 1911 records for Belfast;

http://www.belfastfamilyhistory.com/

doe

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 05:44:55 PM »
This is exciting news, and free also. It will probably be so jammed I'll have to get up at 2 a.m. Good news to hear, thanks all.

bneezy, sorry to hear about your output of money for ancestry.com, but if your offer still stands when I get the information  sorted out from my Lancashire ancestors I would love your help. Is there a census for Scotland on ancestry .com? I have a Houston that I can't find. doe

jp08

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 07:03:19 PM »
Is there a census for Scotland on ancestry .com? I have a Houston that I can't find.

Yes. They have the complete set 1841 to 1901.