Author Topic: What was the name of the men's clothing store on upper north street?  (Read 2277 times)

irishcypriot

I'm not talking about Peter Pell . . . I'm thinking of a shop on the right-hand side as you go down the street toward lower-north street (I think there was even a branch down there too). I remember a lad called alvin worked there for years. They sold wranglers and mens wear.

teragram

Re: What was the name of the men's clothing store on upper north street?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 05:16:52 PM »
Could it have been McMurrays?  Maybe not, cause they sold clothes for male and female.     They used to have a sign in the window all year round saying "Last week of sale"
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

Rosser

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:02:04 PM »
That could be John Frazer's before he moved to the corner of Gresham st, Prior to that it was half way up between Gresham st /winetavern st
How's yer belly off for blackheads

teragram

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 08:58:01 PM »
That's a new one to me Rosser.

Rosser

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:39:38 AM »
Tera, you are right I think it was Stewarty Johnstons or maybe the boul altzimers is starting to kick in :idiot2: remember it was about the only place to get a decent Ben Sherman
How's yer belly off for blackheads

irishcypriot

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 01:13:51 PM »
Yes, the name was Stewarty Johnstons  :)  Bought many a pair of jeans there and a few cream cakes from the bakery next to it. Wonder if it's still there? I heard the owner started out selling door to door and then built up a small empire of his own with five or more shops around belfast.

teragram

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 01:53:46 PM »
Don't imagine he'd still be there irishcypriot,  very ugly part of town these days. That end of North st needs a massive make over.

deke

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 07:17:48 PM »
Can anyone remember the name of the Menswear store on North St either next door to the bank on the corner of Royal Ave or one or two up from there, believe there used to be a Liptons store next to it.       This was around 1964/65.    Thanks
I used to be indecisive.   Now I'm not so sure.

harrydunn

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 08:30:01 PM »
Deke That would have been Gilpins' of North Street next door was Liptons' grocery store

deke

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 02:19:52 AM »
Thanks Harry      O0
I used to be indecisive.   Now I'm not so sure.

Headline boat man

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 05:28:57 AM »
Alf Gidley for shirts Upper North Street. carpet shop also had a girl called Olive from rathcoole when ordering a carpet she would ask you would you like felt in the bedroom.

jimmyv

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 05:38:16 AM »
Could it have been McMurrays?  Maybe not, cause they sold clothes for male and female.     They used to have a sign in the window all year round saying "Last week of sale"

Haha. I remember McMurrys. My mum trailed me in there every year for a new school uniform. It was always dark inside like a dungeon or something, probably so as you couldn't see how bad the stuff was you'd bought.  ;D

teragram

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 10:31:01 AM »
Alf Gidley for shirts Upper North Street. carpet shop also had a girl called Olive from rathcoole when ordering a carpet she would ask you would you like felt in the bedroom.

Excellent O0

munich

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 03:23:07 PM »
Mayybe the name of the cloths shop you are looking for maybe John frazers he had a shop on the corner of Grashan str /North str. he sols Ben shermans & Wrangler jeans and more but this would be around mid 70s to mid 80s

brixmis

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 05:58:12 PM »
Haha. I remember McMurrys. My mum trailed me in there every year for a new school uniform. It was always dark inside like a dungeon or something, probably so as you couldn't see how bad the stuff was you'd bought.  ;D
A friend worked there when she left school. She said there were holes in the roof and holes in the attic floors where they stored the children's clothes. She used to have to take the clothes home ad wash and iron them and then return them to the store for sale. She also had to search people coming in to the store (height of the troubles) even though she was only 16.
SOLDIER F IS INNOCENT