Author Topic: THE CARLTON BELFAST - ANYONE REMEMBER IT?  (Read 14185 times)

PLASTERED

THE CARLTON BELFAST - ANYONE REMEMBER IT?
« on: September 18, 2006, 03:37:04 PM »
DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE CARLTON, BELFAST.

I HAVE RECENTLY ACQUIRED A SMALL SILVER TEAPOT  WHICH HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THROUGH THE FAMILY WITH THE NAME "THE CARLTON BELFAST" ENGRAVED ON IT AND THE INTERTWINED LETTERS Z AND S ON REVERSE.
I HAVE AN INKLING IT MAY  HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE SHIPYARD OR ONE OF IT'S LINERS. EITHERWAY IT SEEMS TO BE A CAFE, RESTAURANT OR HOTEL. 
I WOULD BE VERY GREATFUL FOR ANY INFORMATION HOWEVER TRIVIAL IT MAY SEEN.

Christopher

Re: THE CARLTON BELFAST - ANYONE REMEMBER IT?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 04:16:02 PM »
Hiya Plastered,

The Carlton was an extremely good restaurant situated at 11, Wellington Place, Belfast. Table cloths and silverware .. no shoddy service in the Carlton Restaurant. Their telegram address was "Pastry, Belfast". It was a limited liability company Carlton (Belfast) Ltd., Bakers, Confectioners and Caterers. the directors were John Reid Davidson and William Joseph Davidson.

There was a book titled "Our Daily Bread - A Look at Ulster Bakeries" written by a James Davidson in 2004. It was published by Colourpoint Books of Newtownards. I think James may be a member of the family who owned the Carlton.

Christopher 

EllCee

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 05:12:34 PM »
Chris, didn't they also have a bar/restaurant in Arthur Street, just beside the jewellers on the corner.  Or they may have moved there from Wellington Place.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

teap

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 05:30:37 PM »
Would the Z and S maybe stand for Zinc and Silver?

Colette

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 07:44:45 PM »
Hiya Plastered, If the teapot is silver as far as I am aware it should bear a Hallmark

Les, I think the Carlton closed their Wellington Place pemises and moved to Arthur Street. Colette may be able to verify that by looking in her 1969 directory.

Colette, I'm not sure about the Z & S intertwined. I thought silver items had either three or four little squares on the bottom. Tea spoons have them on the reverse though. One of the squares indicated the manufacturer. One the place where the item was assayed ... Birmingham, London and Sheffield were the main places. A "Z" or an "S" should indicate the date the item was manufactured.

eddiec

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 08:08:47 PM »
I agree if it is silver it will be hallmarked... it wouldn't be marked for zinc.

It sounds like the Z and C is a monogram. Maybe it was a retirement gift. Anyone in the family with those initials??

I remember going to the Carlton... about ten years ago now... as was said silver service... except that one of our party asked for a particular meal without the sauce... there was some particular reason... meal duly came with sauce all over meal :( he complained in a nice way and asked for it to be taken back and a new one... they took it away scrapped the sauce off and returned it >:( boy did he let rip ::)
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 08:19:45 PM »
Maybe that's why the Carlton is no more  :D
Poor service can ruin a restaurant's good reputation very quickly indeed.

EllCee

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 08:57:48 PM »
"Colette may be able to verify that by looking in her 1969 directory. "

Chris, I can remember being in the Arthur St bar and restaurant in the middle 1970s, and in the Wellington Place bar after 1980.  I met Gerry Hassett, the boxer's son, in Libya and I started work there in 1978.  He lived in Morecambe and came to Belfast to visit his family and we met in the Carlton in Wellington Palce for a few drinks.  That would have been in the early 1980s, I can't remember the year exactly.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 09:12:25 PM »
OK I found it at Wellington Place in the 1987 directory. In Arthur Street in that year you could eat or drink in Tops Nightclub, Campbell's Snack Bar, Larry's Diner, Thompson's Restaurant, you could get a wee bun at White's Home Bakery but I'm not sure if you could sit down for a snack and Oasis Restaurant. There's no mention of the Carlton. 

EllCee

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 09:17:42 PM »
OK I found it at Wellington Place in the 1987 directory. In Arthur Street in that year you could eat or drink in Tops Nightclub, Campbell's Snack Bar, Larry's Diner, Thompson's Restaurant, you could get a wee bun at White's Home Bakery but I'm not sure if you could sit down for a snack and Oasis Restaurant. There's no mention of the Carlton. 

You are probably right.  It's possibly "Thompson's Restaurant" I'm thinking of in Arthur St. 

PLASTERED

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 11:28:12 PM »
THANKS FOR SUCH QUICK RESPONSES TO MY QUERY.
 I  HAVE HAD A LOOK AGIN AT THE TEAPOT AND FOUND THE FOLLOWING MARKS ON THE BASE  - C - GERO 90.
  THE NO 160 IS ENGRAVED ON THE BASE AND ALSO INSIDE THE LID.  IS THIS SILVER ? I'M NO EXPERT - BUT
PERHAPS YOU'RE RIGHT THAT THE "ZS" MONOGRAM DOES STAND FOR SILVER A AND ZINC.
THANKS

eddiec

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 11:52:18 PM »
Heres a link for the Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Maker's Marks  Zinc would not be marked.

I still think the monogram could be someones initials.

Hopefully the hallmarks will help date it.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

eastender

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 06:02:36 AM »
I checked with my parents tonight. They had their wedding reception at the Carlton in 1949 and said it was in Donegall Place, near Queens Arcade.
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 07:04:31 AM »
What were the initials of your parents Plastered?

EllCee

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2006, 09:45:58 AM »
I checked with my parents tonight. They had their wedding reception at the Carlton in 1949 and said it was in Donegall Place, near Queens Arcade.

I vaguely remember going for Afternoon Tea with my grandparents to a place in Donegall place that had a 'palm court' type of ensemble playing on a small stage.  The waiters all wore dinner suits, and the "band" were in tails.  That was near Queens Arcade.  That would have been in the early 50s.