Author Topic: THE CARLTON BELFAST - ANYONE REMEMBER IT?  (Read 14220 times)

Christopher

Re: THE CARLTON BELFAST - ANYONE REMEMBER IT?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 10:10:37 AM »
If it was on the same side of the road as the Arcade it may have been the Carlton.

EllCee

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 10:57:24 AM »
It was.  Near Brand's Arcade and Hector Powe's shop, with the concave glass window.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Mageeka

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 04:19:01 PM »
My mother RIP worked as a waitress in the Carlton prior to her marriage

eastender

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 12:26:40 AM »
Accordin to the info I got, it was on the Queens Arcade side and the back of it came out at College Square if that makes sense. They said there was a great home bakery in the square. Keep in mind, that was 1949.

My Streets of Belfast book shows a photo of the Carlton at 11 Wellington Place, beside The Leeds Permanent Building Society and WW Alderdice, whatever that was. Looks like a 1953/54 photo, based upon the cars.

"It was managed by the grandfather of the noted motoring writer Wilson McComb."

People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

Christopher

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 12:46:26 AM »
W. W. Alderdice of 9, Wellington Place were Incorporated Insurance Brokers

Wilson McComb ... There was a Billy McComb who was a member of the Magic Circle ... used to put on a blindfold and drive an MG sports car around obstacles. Billy has been performing the Gypsy thread for over 60 years.

eastender

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 06:40:34 AM »
Thanks Christopher,

A couple of doors up from Alderdice looks like a shop or pub called Barkleys and next to that is a Prudential sign upstairs. The Linenhall Library building is a few doors east in the next block.

On the street is a wee van belonging to Kerr Radio Ltd, Radio, Television Sales and Service. A tram is travelling west on Wellington Place, behind a horse and cart.

An early 50s Hillman Minx and I believe a Vauxhall Vanguard are in front of the Carlton.

Christopher

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 06:43:52 AM »
Would that be a Standard Vanguard, eastender ???

eastender

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 06:46:33 AM »
It's been a while, but you could be right. This looks bigger than a Standard, mybe a Wyvern then.

I thought the Kerrs Radio info and the rest would give you info to play with though. 8)

EllCee

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 09:47:08 AM »
"Accordin to the info I got, it was on the Queens Arcade side and the back of it came out at College Square if that makes sense."

Not really, there's Fountain Street.  It runs from Wellington Place to Castle Street.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

mreid

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2006, 04:06:36 PM »
Hi

The Carlton was the old name of the establishment that is now known as The Apartment in Donegall Square place.
This could have been opened much later than the times you are talking about tho and named the Carlton in memory of its predecessor?!?
 :-\

Christopher

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2006, 05:06:54 PM »
I looked at the 1880 online street directory to see if The Carlton was listed. There was no mention of it so I wonder when it first opened. There is a Carlton Hotel in Madison Avenue, New York which opened in 1904. I wonder if the restaurant in Belfast was named after the New York hotel? 

giannineo

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2006, 09:27:58 PM »
There was a pub called the Carlton in Wellington Place circa 1968-that is where I had my first legal drink as it was nearst to Inst. for the Saturday night dance.Also had a belter of a blind date there in 1969(well,she didn't think so.).

EllCee

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2006, 09:48:37 PM »
Hi

The Carlton was the old name of the establishment that is now known as The Apartment in Donegall Square place.
This could have been opened much later than the times you are talking about tho and named the Carlton in memory of its predecessor?!?
 :-\

I would have expected "The Apartment" to have been the old Erskine Mayne's book shop, Hogg's china and glassware or Renee's Ladie's fashions. I can't recall there ever being a bar and restaurant in that location, and certainly not the "Carlton".

giannineo

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2006, 11:52:33 PM »
The place I remember was around where Parsons and Parsons was.

Christopher

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2006, 12:00:13 AM »
In 1987 the Carlton Grill and Lounge Bar was at No. 11 Wellington Place beside Tom Jones (Belfast) Ltd.