Author Topic: THE CARLTON BELFAST - ANYONE REMEMBER IT?  (Read 14218 times)

giannineo

Re: THE CARLTON BELFAST - ANYONE REMEMBER IT?
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2006, 12:09:36 AM »
That's the place I remember Christopher- on the block up from where the Athletic Stores was going towards College Square.

eastender

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2006, 03:46:19 AM »
In 1931 it was in Donegall Place, as shown in the Caught in Time thread on the Belfast History board. Here is the photo again. It was also there in June 1949 and moved to Wellington Place after that.  :)
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

Christopher

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2006, 02:10:36 PM »
Thanks Christopher,

A couple of doors up from Alderdice looks like a shop or pub called Barkleys and next to that is a Prudential sign upstairs. The Linenhall Library building is a few doors east in the next block.

On the street is a wee van belonging to Kerr Radio Ltd, Radio, Television Sales and Service. A tram is travelling west on Wellington Place, behind a horse and cart.

An early 50s Hillman Minx and I believe a Vauxhall Vanguard are in front of the Carlton.

Where's the photograph ??? I know it was there because we discussed these vehicles. The conversation looks very silly with no photograph 8)

gnarls

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2007, 01:25:33 AM »
Hi, I can remember the Carlton with great fondness. I worked in college street just behind wellington place. Two ladies that I worked with had a meal there every Friday evening. I went on the odd occassion that I may have had money. It had a bar at the front you could go in for a drink, or wait there until you could be seated. I remember the food was wonderful. This would have been the late 80's early 90's. I also went to Thompsons restaurant in Arthur Street. It was also a fantastic place to eat.

antrimgal

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2008, 11:02:32 PM »
Hi, I remember the Carlton very well,We were married in 1956 and had our Wedding Breakfast in the Carlton restaurant that was 52 years ago so we probably had tea out of your teapot.l.o.l.

masser

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2008, 08:52:41 AM »
My brother-in-law was barman in the Carlton in Wellington Place from he left school until it closed.
 :)

maggie13

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 12:56:52 AM »
My granda use to be head chef I would just like to learn more if any one can help

pentio

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2009, 01:10:11 AM »
Old photograph of the Carlton.

Sheila A

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2009, 07:31:29 AM »
If I'm thinking of the same place The Carlton was beside a china shop Hoggs? I'm terrible at remembering the street names but it was located across from the front of the city hall on the left. Donegall Square? Their Chicken Maryland was my favourite, this was in the 70's.
Sheila A :)

Chester255

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2015, 03:33:35 PM »
Just going through a few of my late mother's paperwork, and came across her wedding invitation :
she married at Duncairn Presbyterian Church on 8 August 1942, followed by the reception at "The Carlton, Donegall Place...."

GandT

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2015, 06:14:50 PM »
My brother-in-law was barman in the Carlton in Wellington Place from he left school until it closed.
 :)

I remember some barmen who worked there - Gerry [the manager I think], Francis and Declan were the names as I recall them. All were pleasant, courteous, efficient and humorous at even the worst of times. Similarly, I remember Sue and Stella as barmaids at the old Washington Bar. They ran the place in more orderly and more efficient manner than most establishments!!

Chester255

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2015, 07:36:10 PM »
Just going through a few of my late mother's paperwork, and came across her wedding invitation :
she married at Duncairn Presbyterian Church on 8 August 1942, followed by the reception at "The Carlton, Donegall Place...."

Ah...the things you learn, if only you ask!
My sister's just told me that my mother worked (as a 'silver service waitress') at the Carlton before getting married - this'd be in the late 30's, I suppose.

tboy

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2015, 09:17:18 PM »
Ah...the things you learn, if only you ask!
My sister's just told me that my mother worked (as a 'silver service waitress') at the Carlton before getting married - this'd be in the late 30's, I suppose.
and God Bless Her, my own mother worked as a 'skivvey' in Thompsons resteraunt but it reminds me of the girls who worked 'in the office' of the mills. :D

johnedin

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2017, 08:00:44 PM »
Yes,I remember the Carlton very well as my family owned it for a period during the 1950's and I personally worked in/for it having trained in  The Scottish School of Baking,Glasgow the "Harvard" of the bakery world and all N.I. master bakers sons were sent there at that time - when I attended in 1949-51 there were five of us from NI at that time - known as the "Irish Mafia" - all passed on now except me (I was the youngest then at 16 !)  The original Carlton Restaurant was situated in Donegal Place and consisted of a bakery shop fronting to the road with a display of cakes/fancy breads/birthday cakes/wedding cakes in the window, many of them created by myself as I ran the bakery side of things.  On passing through the shop you entered the restaurant which also had a further dining area on a surrounding balcony above.  Anyone who was anyone dined in the Carlton !  There was also a large "sprung floor" ballroom (where I met my wife !) to the rear with an additional separate entrance from Fountain Street  as well as a series of reception rooms available for smaller functions.  The Carlton also did "outside" catering for weddings, Hunt Balls etc. as well as being official caterers to Government House at Hillsborough where we catered to the present Queen and various other members of the Royal Family.  On termination of the lease the shop and restaurant moved to Wellington Place (just down from the Athletic Stores) and across the road from the YMCA.  There were no function rooms or ballroom but the business continued to do outside catering, Hunt Balls,weddings etc. as before.  The the death of my father in 1961 my family connection was severed and I worked for Inglis & Co. the largest bakery in Ireland, where I was Production, then General Manager until I moved to Scotland in 1969 as "The Troubles' were brewing and I decided that perhaps the Markets area (Eliza Street) where Inglis & Co. was situated might not be the safest place in the City to get "called out" to during the night ! - so I moved to Glasgow where I worked for a well known food business before retiring to Edinburgh where I now reside.  I have many more memories of my life in Belfast in the 40's & 50's, from the "Blitz" of 1941/42, schooldays at "Inst" and my business/working life there but I have "gone on" long enough so "GoodNight" !!

Falls

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »
My late father played with the kitty Ivory band in the late forties early fifties.He was drummer and I have photos of the Carlton with the band.