Author Topic: N.Ireland fishing  (Read 13883 times)

MAgeeka

Re: N.Ireland fishing
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2006, 12:37:24 AM »
 Jeez G
Those shotguns would have  fetched a great price over here.  I always wanted a British made shotgun
Now as for that pike !   No he would not be around now, but I bet he has grand children there, carrying his genes.

giannineo

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2006, 12:50:06 AM »
Mageeka, my bruv seems to think one of the guns was a Purdey(were they American  made?),don't know about the others.My mother has a photo of the men dressed in knee high leather boots made by my grandfather,britches,hacking jackets and tweed caps and with shotguns under their arms.All staged in a photographer's studio.
      My uncle had a solid metal rifle given by his uncle and which lay in a loft for years.It had siezed up and my father gave it to someone from his work.The history was that the grand uncle used it in India on elephant hunts.The guy my father gave it to did work on it and tied it to a tree  to test fire it.It blew itself to pieces.The butt was made of metal and the whole thing weighed a ton.We used to play with it as kids.
         Good luck with the pike-I last saw it on the stretch of Lagan canal where you could cross to the Methody Boathouse and Boat Club.I think that stretch may be filled in now,but the grandson pikes may be there about just up where the weir used to run from the canal in to the river.
      We caught gudgeons up at Minnowburn .Probably about 6 inches long and were all thrown back in.Mind you,we lost a power of spinners in the weeds.

MAgeeka

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2006, 01:24:13 AM »
G
The Purdey Shotgun is very expensive and have been around about 150 years  I believe they were/are a London based company.  The other all time great was the British Parker Hale shotgun  I think these makers also produced the British double rifle . This was primarily used for big game in Africa  The recoil from these could sometimes dislocate the shooters shoulder.

giannineo

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2006, 05:26:56 AM »
Cheers for that M.The guns would have been at very least 81 years old and more likely 100 plus.I always thought Purdeys were American so "you learn something new everyday." I could hear shotguns popping around here  last night. .someone after deer ,rabbit and hare.,and possibly geese.
          Come to Scotland some time.....fishing is abundant and excellent deer stalking.....meet you for a drop of the "cratur",Cheers G.

MAgeeka

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2006, 05:46:37 AM »
Love to be there G

giannineo

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2006, 08:21:30 PM »
Pheasants and all M. Mind you,it is blowing a huge gale and the rain is stottin awf the pavements....no nice.

top fish

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2009, 08:04:04 PM »
Pheasants and all M. Mind you,it is blowing a huge gale and the rain is stottin awf the pavements....no nice.
  you were say about the bow lakes there i fish them some good fish in there so there is

top fish

« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2009, 09:03:20 PM »
Anyone know of any Pike fishin small lakes around ?
Also what species is the Lough Neagh Pollen ?
It looks like a trout
m8 the bow lakes are good for pike i got a 10 pound pike out of it

tboy

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2009, 09:56:32 PM »
do you have to tell everyone?