Author Topic: oldpark road torrens rd the bone  (Read 1158674 times)

DOFFER

Re: oldpark road torrens rd the bone
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2009, 10:25:04 PM »
Hi Doffer.Im Myras eldest and I have two brothers too.I live in Liverpool.I left for work in the eighties and I also worked at gallahers and then the manchester tobacco comany.Then by shere luck ended up running a hotel in Stockport and now work for easyjet as a purser.My mum died in 1990 not long after my uncle John and my uncle Henry passed away a few yers ago.However all the family live in twadell avenue area now including my dad and me aunt sally is just round the corner.I think one my mums friends was Agnes Mckenna and her older sister was my aunt Sallys friend,maybe Jean.I remember Aggie and Hughie Arthurs and their daughter Jean and next to my granny and granda lived aunt evelyn.My god the memories are flooding back x

hi muttly  i remember agnes mckenna  &hersisters violet  the other sister ivy &i were best friends also i knew your mum passed away i was told by my cousin  whilst i was on a trip home few yrsago  myra &myself had a great old time in the mill we were always togather we atelunch togather stayed  behind in the mill room to talk of our dreams etc she was a great lass ,yes aggie arthers &co remember them all well  do you remember no 29 the news of the world ,lol &buttons wily ,the black family dear me i can name everyone in the street even though iv not lived there for 51yrs ,bet you dont know about the day your mum &i  went out wearing  our brothers jeans for a laugh as back then girls never wore them  i wore mine with a check shirt myra with a blouse we went hiking up the glen fgs we must only have been about 17 we thought we werereally with it ,lol silly question muttly are you male or female ?? &are you tall like your mum ,all the owens were tall i envied them i was a wee squirt  compered to them , if you have any photos of your mumwhy dont you send me one or two my email is on site  if speaking to sally remind me to her say i  was asking for her ,ok ,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

muttley

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2009, 09:29:31 PM »
hi Doffer ive been on a duty with work for last 3 days.Im male and six foot three .Joel my next brother is six foot seven and the double of my granda in every way.John the youngest is six four and looks like my dad.Everyone says im the double of my mum and im a redhead after my aunt Nelly.Im the smallest so the gallahers ciggies stunted my growth haha.Do you remember my great grandad and my great uncle Harry Mahaffy.My grannys irish stew was the best ive ever had and me aunt Sally said to me at christmas I always got an extra bowl when I was a wee boy.My mum and my aunt Eleanor where always going to the plaza and my mum filed one of Eleanors front teeth down cause she said one of her teeth was longer than the other.Me mum used me grandas big wood file and Eleanor was in agony for days.Il try and upload some pics to.Btw my name is Glynnxxx

tboy

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2009, 10:21:55 PM »
muttley ,you sound just like one of them guys that strutted around torrens with a cap that said "i,m battin up the arabs" :)

jim bo

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2009, 07:17:26 PM »
Do you remember the factory at the bottom of Ardilea St , there was a door on the left hand side, people used it in the mornings.      But i cant remember the name,was it Lindsay Thompson's,        I'm sure some one will remind me
                                                                                   Jimbo

jim bo

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2009, 08:59:31 AM »
thanks for the info,I never new it was sewage recycling plant,by the way do you remember the old ruin of St Silas church,at Ardone placeand the Old Park
                                                                                     Jimbo

tboy

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2009, 10:47:55 PM »
before it became a petrol station jimbo :) the factory ran down the back(not  a mill ) ardoyne avenue was the name of the street, believe it or not.

jim bo

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2009, 11:24:39 AM »
That petrol station was opened by awee man called Cairns,he usd to work in parks bakery,it was down ,arround Bryon St or was hillview St.    And the factory was the
Morne Shirt factory

tboy

« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2009, 11:17:09 PM »
jimbo, you are wandering down the oldpark too far :) lets stick to torrens area for now ;)

TheBone

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2009, 07:25:18 PM »
I put a link to an electronic book all about the Bone.  Stacks of pictures in it as well.  It is in the History section.  I'll stick the link on here too.   http:www.irish-media.com/marrowbone.pdf

pentio

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2009, 09:26:15 AM »
I put a link to an electronic book all about the Bone.  Stacks of pictures in it as well.  It is in the History section.  I'll stick the link on here too.   http:www.irish-media.com/marrowbone.pdf

TheBone

Here is your link.

http://www.irish-media.com/marrowbone.pdf

jim bo

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2009, 04:53:36 PM »
I really enjoyed reading about the bone, it brought back a lot of memeries,I must of spent half of my child playing on it.            And then as a teenager corner boy,that was what we where looking at, we stood at the corner of  Heathfeild Road,the good old days.

jim bo

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2009, 10:11:21 PM »
Sorry Tboy but if you are thinking like that, it is the other way round,what are you thinking.   I had great mates from the Bone,and most of them all no me.   the same in Ardoyne

Boney Hills

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2009, 02:07:22 PM »
The mill at the bottom was Lindsey's Jim Bo. There was a side door and when the women were late the would run down Ardilea Street to get in the door before it closed. Once the mill horn blew they didn't have a chance. Lots of friendships still going strong from The Bone,Heatfield, Ardoyne. Just in different parts of the world now.

foxyfur

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »
Hi everyone

I thought I would join in the trip down memory lane.  I was born in Heathfield Road in 1964 and lived there until I was 10 years old.  I remember many families from that time around the area.  The Millars, Wallaces, Warnocks, Gardiners, Moodys, Boyers, McCorkindales and many more. 

Just wondered if anyone had pictures of Finiston Primary School where I spent my childhood - would love to have a copy if that's possible please?

Regards

Foxyfur

foxyfur

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
Hi

I remember the Moody family - the ones I remember are Ellen and Billy and their kids were David, Jim, Elizabeth, Alec and Brian.

May have even been a couple more but can't remember names lol - it was a long time ago.  I left Heathfield Road in 1974.

Foxyfur