Author Topic: oldpark road torrens rd the bone  (Read 1161823 times)

jim bo

Re: oldpark road torrens rd the bone
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2009, 05:01:53 PM »
The Bowyers are my nephews and nieces

foxyfur

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2009, 10:37:34 PM »
Small world eh.  Know the Boyers well.  Sonny, sammy, norman, eileen, may and renee - are these the same people?

If so, Sammy is married to my sister's oldest friend Colleen and my mother made Eileen's wedding cake!

Foxyfur

foxyfur

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2009, 10:44:46 PM »
Oh also, my aunt and uncle lived in Torrens Parade, Agnes and Jim Black - had two children Carol and Maurice. 

Aunt Agnes was great friends with Mrs Clements and another lady whose name escapes me at this moment!

Foxyfur

jim bo

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2009, 07:52:43 AM »
Well you where spot on, they live at the top of the Oldpark,and Eileen and May,workin the Mater Hospital.       Did you know my other nephew and niece the Peoples
                                Jimbo

DOFFER

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2009, 01:25:42 PM »
Oh also, my aunt and uncle lived in Torrens Parade, Agnes and Jim Black - had two children Carol and Maurice. 

Aunt Agnes was great friends with Mrs Clements and another lady whose name escapes me at this moment!

Foxyfur

hi there foxy  mrs clements i knew very well she was a long time pal of an auntof mine mrs hutten she had sons sammy ,johnnie noel etc also daughter agnes married to a chap from the shankill ernie geddis ,mrs hutten my aunt &mrs clements were always linked arm in arm wherever  they went they had ben best friends from when very young teens ,a lifelong friendship ,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

foxyfur

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2009, 02:33:09 PM »
Hi Jim bo

It's been a while since I have seen Eileen, although every now and again we by pass each other when in the car!  If I remember rightly - Eileen's mum also worked in the Mater Hospital. 

Strange how the world wide web makes the place so much smaller :-)

Foxyfur

foxyfur

« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2009, 02:42:16 PM »
Hi Doffer

Nice to hear from you.  My aunt lived at 33 Torrens parade for many many years, infact until all the refurbishment work was taking place which must have been around late 1980's.

I do indeed remember the name Hutton.  One of the lady's in that street not sure if it was Mrs Clements or Mrs Hutton owned a wee terrier dog called Molly :-)

Being an animal person, it's quite funny that sometimes I remember the dog's name and not the persons.  There was a lady lived my street (Heathfield Road) she had a dog called Barry - the woman's surname was Nevin - so I just remember Barry Nevin lol.  That dog must have been about 20 when he died!!

Foxy

jim bo

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2009, 05:08:36 PM »
I was talking to Eileen Mum today,she said you lived on the lower part of Heathfield Rd on the hill. where the cobbs living there then.     I also went on Google today and had a tour arround Torrens, some lovely up there now.And there is no heathfield Rd and no Finiston School
                                     Jimbo

foxyfur

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2009, 05:19:50 PM »
Hi Jim bo

Yes I did indeed live in the lower part of Heathfield Road and remember Mrs Cobb!!

I think it's very sad to see Heathfield Road no longer exists and also the lovely Finiston school of where I have very fond memories.  Not all of the memories were good mind but well, it's sad to see your childhood home gone.

I have very definite views on living there at that time - but probably not suitable for the forum lol

I must hound my mum to see if any old pictures show our street or school!!

Foxyfur

tboy

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2009, 08:50:13 PM »
foxey, do you remember the 'house shop ' in the street on the left of heathfield? it was open every day ,even sundays and that says something on heathfield, was it pollocks?

foxyfur

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2009, 09:40:35 PM »
Hi there

Yes do remember that shop and it was Pollocks.

Talking shops - do you remember Mrs McKeens shop in Windrum Street (it's now a house!) and Hunters shop on Cliftonville Road at the bottom of Elmgrove Street - it's still there but obviously different name now.  I went into it to see if it looked the same but of course the counters and things were changed around :-(

I used to go to the GB at St Silas Church - I see it's still there though badly run down and was also sad to see Oldpark Presbyterian Church had been knocked down.  Used to be a guy lived beside that Church who was my cousin's friend and he was a Zoo Keeper at Bellvue Zoo!!!  Strange the things that come into your head when memory is jogged lol

Foxy

tboy

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2009, 09:54:58 PM »
hello foxey, i remember hunters shop,they had a massive  paper round, yes the  big churches on the cliftonville and oldpark have memories for all of us in that era,even if it was only being on the outside looking in :)

foxyfur

« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2009, 11:50:04 AM »
Pentio

Thank you so much for the wonderful picture of Oldpark Church.

I am really interested if anyone has any pictures of the streets of Heathfield/Torrens before the heart was ripped out of it (i.e. streets knocked down and the awful newbuilds).

Am thinking of putting a bit together regarding the area/people/businesses etc so anything you think may be of use - please don't hesitate to contact me - here is my email addy

[email protected]

Thanks

Foxy

foxyfur

« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
Jim bo

sorry just realised i didn't answer your question about your nephews and nieces "the peoples".  The name is vaguely familiar, whereabout did they live and roughly what ages are you talking then i can ask my older sister :-)

i usually remember people for a reason - either they were friends or part of the "bad element" lol

If i don't remember peoples really well - they must fall somewhere in the middle - only kidding of course!!

Foxy

foxyfur

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2009, 01:56:10 PM »
Tboy

Your face is very familiar - whereabouts did you live ?  can you give me some details as i have two older sisters and they may well know some of your family?

if you don't wanna put on forums - send private email?

Foxy