Author Topic: oldpark road torrens rd the bone  (Read 1161818 times)

jim bo

Re: oldpark road torrens rd the bone
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »
You are right they are out side your age group,but they lived in the second house in Heathfield Rd. By the way was Brian McCullough Still up there,he lived near you.
He owned the shop at the corner of Heathfield Rd.   But he might have moved, as he opened ashop in Sandy Row.    Your Mother would have known him,and is sister
                                                                                                                Jimbo

foxyfur

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2009, 06:03:23 PM »
Hi Jimbo

Spoke to my mum today and she does indeed remember the family called Peoples and also Brian McCullough shop was still there when we lived there.

As children our memories are from the bottom end of Heathfield Road - going down the street after Heathfield parade, as Heathfield Road as I'm sure you remember was kinda split into two parts.   We used to play on what we called the Clay Heights opposite our home :-)

I got a listing from another internet source of our wee Street in the directory and all the neighbours - oh how it all comes flooding back eh.

If anyone would like a copy of occupants in our street in 1977 send me your email and I'll forward it on.

Foxy

foxyfur

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2009, 06:05:57 PM »
Oh and I also have a listing for all who lived in Heathfield Road in 1966 if anyone would like a copy.

Foxy

foxyfur

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2009, 06:13:19 PM »
Opps just realised my error - Heathfield Road was split where I'm talking by Torrens Road and not Heathfield Parade  :o  - i'll blame it on old age and fading memory lol

Foxy

Geraldine

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »
Hi my name is Geraldine Kernaghan.I lived in Heathfield Rd in the late 40,50 60 and early 70's.
I had a lovely trip down memory lane reading all the posts .
I recall no 2 the Allens, no 4 the Peoples,no 6 the Pritchards, no 8 the Wilsons, Lizzie and big Jim her husband and their daughter Roberta, next house no 10 the Orrs,no 12 were the Fulton family,their grandson david was my first "boyfriend" when I was about 5 or 6 years old!! After that the Biggerstaffs, elenor and Annie!!!
 Cant remember who lived in no 16 but the Duff family lived in no 18, Elenor, Iris and Marion the youngest.
Next to them in no 20 were our next door neighbours the Scotts who had a son Danny.  My dad was Jim the brother of Alex.Hugh,Harry and Mary.  On the other side of us in no 24 I think the Hannas lived and then my granny Kernaghan lived in no 26.   The next family name escapes me now but one of the people who lived there was called Betty and she had an older sister called Sissie. 
 The Ropers and the Mccartney's lived in the next house,
the only names there that I can remember are Berty (Roberta) Roper and Belle MCCartney.
The Linehans lived in the next house, the mother was Sadie and there was Jimmy, Eileen the eldest who was a Downs syndrome child and the other names I cant remember.
The Loudens were in the second last house in the top end of the street, Jackie,Josie Tommy and Sally and Kilda.we pronounced it KILA.
I have a feeling the MCCorkindales lived in the end house or the end house in the street behind, Heathfield Drive.
 Nelly Pollocks shop was in Torrens and her daughter was married to I think his name was Joe Barrow and one of their kids I ran around with was Elinor Barrow.The Barrows lived next to or 2 doors down from the shop.
  The Taggarts I think lived in Heathfield Drive next door to the Gallagher family.  All of us girls were friends, Patty Pritchard,Marian Duff, Iris Duff, Sally Louden, Annie Biggerstaff(Bickerstaff ?) my kid sister Laureen, Elinor Barrow, Dierdre Clarke, Margaret Gallagher.  Two other girls I ran around with and who went to the same school as me are Pauline Gallaher who lived further up in 46 Torrens Ave and her neighbour Ann Kelly..My mother is Maureen Kernaghan who ran the off licence someone mentioned, it used to be called Greys. The other chippy was "Jinny's"
The Smokey View was also called "Batchi's,  correct spelling?
For to be free is not merely to cast off ones chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.          Nelson Mandela

tboy

« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2009, 09:22:58 PM »
nice , geradine, for a while we were all together,i suppose it must have been the blitz spirit,but the prods were getting nice new white painted schools    and some even had gymnasiums but hey if we kept the head down     who knows? :)

jim bo

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2009, 07:33:33 AM »
Hi Geraldine,I remember your mother,and also all your Uncles,and also Mary.  I see your Uncle Alex nearly ever day. The first job ihad was with your uncle Hugh, at the window cleaning.  And your uncle Alex used to take me to the football matches on is shoulders. Your Granny was my Mums best friend.    Im Rene Peoples brother,and im also relater to the Orr's, Ernie married my sister Sheila,they are both dead now,and so is Rene husband Billy.   By the way McCorkindales lived up beside Mrs Moody in Heathfield Pde,Brian Taggart used to live in No 2 Torrens Rd and the Barrows,but i called them Williams lived in No 4. But thanks for taking me down Memory lane
                                                                                                              Jimbo

Geraldine

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »
Hi Tboy and Jimbo,thanks for getting back to me.
Jimbo that is amazing you see my uncle Alex nearly every day.I get news of him from my family!!
Please tell him I am asking after him and send my love to him and all the family.His daughter Marian was like my own.I was 13 when she was born and I just loved her so much and used to babysit her.Alex was my favourite uncle. He used to take me and my brothewr and sister for a walk over Ardoyne as there was a girl there he was interested in. ha ha
I remember the corner boys. My friend Annie Biggerstaff's two brothers Sammy and Billy used to hang around there if I am not mistaken. Thanks for keeping me on the right track re Mc Corkindales and Taggarts,I remember now!!!!!
I remember your mom very well. Didnt you have a younger sister called Eileen?
I also remember your sister Rene,didnt she have a daughter called Arlene or am I barking up the wrong tree?
I also remember Shiela,didnt they all go to Rhrodesia and if I remember correctly they came back to Belfast and after a while they decided to go back to Rhodesia..??????.
I am sorry to hear of their passing!!!!!!
AND HERE WE ARE REMINISCING, DID WE EVER THINK THAT WE WOULD BE CHATTING TO PEOPLE ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD?
For to be free is not merely to cast off ones chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.          Nelson Mandela

Geraldine

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2009, 02:04:18 PM »
Just thought of something else.  Hunters used to be owned by a lady called Mrs.Herron. We called thje shop, Herrons.
Her daughter had a hairdressers with the entrance in Elmgrove St in the same building and they both lived upstairs
the daughter was called Shiela.
The other thing is on the other corner was Mc Ewan's chemist.I can still remember what Mr.Mc Ewen looked like!! A very stern looking man with a heart of gold.
My friend Barbara Niblock  lived up the street on the other side,not far from the hairdressers.The Niblocks ran a drycleaning shop from their front parlour.I know its further down from Torrens and Heathfield but Barbara and her sister Grace used to play up "our way"

foxyfur

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2009, 02:55:16 PM »
My mother-in-law came from Heathfield Drive, her family name was Brown, she had brothers robert, james, john and sisters doreen, la, jean, sadie and my mother in law's name was clara. 

Somone might remember them cause my mother in law's mother passed away when she was young and her father remarried a Biggerstaff making Billy etc my mother-in-laws half brothers etc

When i met my husband - my mother in law and I spent many hours talking about the families from the area.  She knew the fathers and mothers of the people I knew :-)

Confusing or what??  Ha

Anyhow my

jim bo

« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2009, 03:15:19 PM »
Geraldine,you have a great memory,even i forgot that we shop at the corner of Wyndham St, and Elmgrove st,and also the chemist.  And you are right Eileen is are baby sister,and also Rene daughter was Arleen.   You just got Sheila Rita wrong,Sheila and her family went to England,and Rita and are Ken went to South Africa.    The next time Im talking to your uncle I will tell him you send your love.
                                                                                                                 Jimbo

Geraldine

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2009, 07:04:26 PM »
Well my goodness Foxy,I do remember that Annies mom was also referred to as Brown.
I had forgotten that.   Come to think of it I can see Mr.Brown coming home from work on a Friday night and Annie and me running after him with her asking for her 'pay'.  Its really a small world.!!!!!
 Am I imagining things or did he not live with the Biggerstafffs in Heathfield?
Jimbo its not that wee shop in Wyndam,  it was on the corner of Cliftonville and Elmgrove the one that became Hunters.

Geraldine

« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2009, 07:11:51 PM »
 Jimbo, I was very young but it made an impact on me about Rita going to South Africa, Yes now I think about it somehow Shielas name was the one I remembered more but it fits in now.
I have been in South Africa since 1971.
My mom had to get out of Heathfield in a hurry I think in about 1976?

tboy

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2009, 10:03:13 PM »
in a hurry in1976? the corporation had plans to demolish the area in 1964 :)

foxyfur

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2009, 10:37:23 PM »
Hi Geraldine

Which Heathfield did you live in.  I lived in Heathfield Road until 1974.

In the 70's thing were bad there and over a period of time - many families left the area.

Foxy