Author Topic: shore rd  (Read 24702 times)

yorky

Re: shore rd
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2013, 08:30:30 PM »
Hi Was recently looking through some old photos inherited from my father Bobby Mckee.  There was an ID card amongst the photos which gave his address as 34 Loughside bungalows!  hence my foray onto this thread.
I vaguely remember meeting him returning from work at the tram terminus, I understand he worked at a flour mill called Whites.
Although very young I have a dim memory of going over railway lines with him to the 'beach' and eating winkles fresh at low tide
I think the period at loughside would have only covered a few years in the very early fifties as around the early/mid part of the fifties we moved to a place in Ligoneil called Silverstream.
Again our stay there was short lived (I think our neighbour there was a Mrs Pulio, at least that what it sounded like).
My mum Joan was English and in the mid fifties we moved to England, unfortunately we weren't back in England long before she died just after her 30th Birthday
I know my father was reputed to be well known in the York Rd/Shore Rd area, he was born in Greencastle but because my Mum was from Yorkshire spent most of his latter life in Yorkshire although we made frequent forays back to Belfast for visits.  Most of his time spent in the Bakers club, straight off the boat at 7am in the morning
I wish I had been more inquisitive when he was around to ask things that I really should have taken an interest in.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Regards to All
Yorky

Canadianraptor

« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2014, 05:20:23 AM »
Hi Robert,
If you are interested in the prefabs, I just posted a map in the topic "anyone born on the shore road". Check out it's pages 234-5 as I posted[size=78%] part of an OS 1960 map showing Mount Vernon and Lowwood  and the Prefabs on that part of the Shore Road! Hopefully this might help you![/size]
[size=78%]Robert Canada[/size]
"Do not judge and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven" (Luke 6:37)

mbe01

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2014, 05:41:19 AM »
Hi all
       I was born on the Shore Road in 1948 next to Billy Kerr's Esso garage and I remember Roycrofts, Stewarts, The Lido and Dr.Gibson was our GP.The prefabs were on the other side of the road and I remember there was a railway line at the back of them.St.Marys Star of The Sea was my first school and it was right at the back of where we lived.Some names I remember were Malcolmsons think they sold apples.Donnellys lived next door Hughes and Maguires lived nearby.
Hi -I was born 1948 in Greencastle and soon after lived next door to the garage in a big house called st elmos - was divided into 'flats' - school was just up the hill behind. Was that the same place ?

walshman

« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2014, 05:49:52 AM »
Hi, Robert,   my wife was born in the prefabs in 1959, just one of eleven children, they later moved to to the woodvale , then highfield and finally to the top of the ballygomartin facing the boys school,  her dad always told me the prefabs was the best housing they had lived in. melv.
I will mention no names,but i think i may have known him.
Just a lot of what you wrote sounds like someone i knew.
Did he work in Gallaher's  Henry street ?

cjn1402

« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2014, 01:39:41 AM »
Looking for traces of the McCann family I think they lived in Graymount Parade or it might have been Graymount DR.The dad was once a carter for McGregors Timber Merchants.and one of the daughters worked for BT as a telephonist. I believe they were closely related to Charlie,Eileen Brenda and Denis Cook who lived up in Whitecity mind you that was 1963/1964.

bernie mckee

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2014, 08:05:52 PM »
hi yorky my name is Bernie McKee. I think you are my brother would love to hear from you. tel 07858775103 :)

bernie mckee

« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2014, 08:47:59 PM »
Hello Yorky. I sent you an Email address in a private Message to you. I am Mike coatesworth and my son in law is Bernard Mckee and he used to live at 34 loughside bungalows and he has been searching for his brother Brian for many years. He has seen your message and believes that you both may be related. his email address is and my email address is his mobile number is 07858775103 he would really appreciate if you could please contact him asap.
If you send an email could you please send it both email addresses so that one of us is guaranteed to receive it.
thank you
Mike coatesworth

cooilroi

« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2014, 12:06:39 AM »
Hi anyone remember the sharkeys or McCain adoreys

lawsy55

« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2014, 02:02:44 PM »
hi i lived on the shore road 1958/9 128 Downview Bungalows; i think i recall another lad called sammy robinson whom i used to mate with.

agideo

« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2014, 08:36:38 PM »
Hi -I was born 1948 in Greencastle and soon after lived next door to the garage in a big house called st elmos - was divided into 'flats' - school was just up the hill behind. Was that the same place ?
Hi Just seen your post. Yes the big house was indeed called St.Elmos. There was a row of houses and a big house at each end which was divided into flats.
Happiness is not getting what you want it's wanting what you have.

roddyspurs

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2018, 01:48:13 AM »
i was born in loughside bungalos in 1958 the names roddy cluney i think 147 was the number

stillsearching

« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2020, 02:50:17 AM »
Hi there!

I know this thread is quite old, but I am looking for information on my mother's family. She was also born in 1948 and lived at 117 Shore Road. She attended Star of the Sea...  Her name was Cathy Quinn. Not sure if you remember the Quinn's from Shore Rd? James & Cathy Quinn (yes, same name as my mom) were my grandparents and Billy Quinn was my great-uncle...I believe Billy was raised my the Maguires?  My mom and grandparents immigrated to Canada in 1956...  Anything you can remember at all would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers from Canada!