Author Topic: Property Prices in Belfast  (Read 28333 times)

Christopher

Property Prices in Belfast
« on: September 20, 2006, 06:40:45 AM »
Click here for the average property prices in Belfast.

eastender

Re: Property Prices in Belfast
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 07:09:16 AM »
In 1981, Belfast Corporation offered to sell 3 bedroom semi-detached homes in east Belfast to 'sitting tenants' for $5000. 145000 profit in 25 years. Not a bad return.  :o :o
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

Mageeka

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 05:49:20 AM »
I read recently that the house prices on the Falls are going through the roof.  Some of this is supposedly due to developers, who buy these homes , turn them into apartments for students at St Mary's College
Is that true for only that portion of the city,  that it is highest housing market  % increase ?
Possibly the Ormeau (IE QUB) would be the same ?

I sold 2 houses in Jameson St ( Ormeau Rd) in 1988
for 22,000 pounds each
What would they be worth to-day ?

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 09:21:02 AM »
Probably well over 100,000. Properties in Hampton Park off the Ormeau Road are now around the million mark. No. 12 is for sale with an asking price of 950,000. Other houses there are valued at 1.2m, 1.3m and 1.4m. 

pentio

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 06:02:28 PM »
The average house prices have gone through the roof. .i pity the younger couples trying to get s foot hold on the property market.

pentio.

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 06:58:41 PM »
Could we start a Belfast Forum Housing Association and give them a helping hand ???

eastender

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 06:03:59 AM »
What exactly is drivin the prices up? Shortage of houses? Economy? Population growth?

I know all of the above doing it where I live.
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 07:34:18 AM »
If there is population growth why are schools closing? Nothing to do with population growth. Economy ... nearer the mark. Ask yourself who has free money to invest in property ... I'd have an educated guess that in a few years time a few of those property owners (by no means all) will have their assets taken from them, including their Aston Martins and homes in Spain, and they will be dining at the pleasure of either the Irish President or Her Majesty the Queen. It's funny how guys can look respectable in other people's eyes when they are seen to have large amounts of money, flashy houses and big cars. I agree some people have been lucky and made it honestly but there are a lot of sad stories that can be told regarding the method in which some of the money invested in property in Belfast was made. The excessive spending at the moment is called people playing the property market game. A little bit like Monopoly. The property prices in Dublin went through the roof so the next place to start purchasing happened to be Belfast. I understand there are more Dublin people owning property in Belfast than Belfast people. Who is buying ... developers. private investors .. anyone wanting to spend a large amount of money so that they will make money. I read in a paper the other day taxation and property prices are going to hit potential graduates so hard in the UK they are being forced to emigrate.

eddiec

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 02:40:39 PM »
Many of the people are buying property to rent out.  When I sold my last house in Belfast it was bought for rental as was a lot of the property in the area. A friend who sold his mothers old house recently had it bought for rental and again most of the house sales in that area were for rental.

It was estimated that around two thirds of property in the Ards area could now be rented.   The HE used to have one housing officer for the private sector in the area now they have around eight.

While investors have the money to buy and push the price up its the ordinary punter who is paying the price and then having to rent...

Seems to be some twisted logic to that...
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 08:30:10 PM »
A story about property prices in The Independent on Sunday (17th September) made me wonder ... a somewhat hard up 27 year old Chelsea player Michael Ballack, only earning 130,000 per week says houses are too expensive. It makes me wonder how people earning much less than he does manage to buy houses. The IMF agree with Michael. They say the prices are too high and there is likely to be a crisis.

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 01:43:48 AM »
The average house prices have gone through the roof. .i pity the younger couples trying to get s foot hold on the property market.

pentio.

There are schemes to assist them pentio. Northern Ireland Co-Ownership Housing Association (NICHA) runs the Co-ownership scheme in Northern Ireland. Co-ownership allows people to become house owners by part-renting and part-buying a property. The Social Development Minister, David Hanson, announced an increase in value limits which will be a boost for first time buyers. The limit has been raised to 160,000 in 16 district areas and 150,000 in the rest.

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 10:39:30 PM »
If you are looking for a bargain priced plot of land in Belfast it might be worth your while to contact the Housing Executive. Taxpayers have been shortchanged in a recent transaction. The Executive sold a plot of land for 81,000 to a developer who will build four houses on it which will sell for a total of 754,000. A Co. Down property developer had been prepared to pay up to 250,000 for the plot. Source: Sunday World 5th November

Another item of news involves some Housing Executive tenants who are having to pay rent to Belfast estate agents although the Executive has already paid the rental for the property to the agents.
Source: Sunday World 5th November

Christopher

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 06:46:44 PM »
I'm not conversant with property rentals in the Belfast of today but in a short article about Old Belfast in "Ireland's Own" magazine I've learnt our ancestors could rent a kitchen house for 3s 6d (17 1/2 pence) or
a parlour house for 4s 6d (22 1/2 pence).

Bogeyman

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 09:44:06 PM »
I'm not conversant with property rentals in the Belfast of today but in a short article about Old Belfast in "Ireland's Own" magazine I've learnt our ancestors could rent a kitchen house for 3s 6d (17 1/2 pence) or
a parlour house for 4s 6d (22 1/2 pence).

and did they accept DHSS?   ;)
If it was'nt for venetian blinds it would be curtains for everybody!

Christopher

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 10:57:43 PM »

and did they accept DHSS? ;)

I think the alternative may have been the Poor House.