Author Topic: Property Prices in Belfast  (Read 28715 times)

bern

Re: Property Prices in Belfast
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 11:40:04 PM »
what chance have young couples got today
youll be lucky to rent ahouse for under 500
and the price of buying one would scare you

Christopher

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 04:10:42 AM »
'Hysterical' buyers driving market By Yvette Shapiro. BBC NI News Business correspondent. Yvette's article quoted an example of the craziness of property prices in Belfast. A four-bedroom, three-reception detached house on the market in a fashionable part of east Belfast went on the market recently at 495,000. Four bidders dropped out when it reached 695,000. Six more are still in the running. The latest bid stands at 820,000. And it is unlikely to stop there.

Christopher

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 12:38:40 PM »
what chance have young couples got today
youll be lucky to rent ahouse for under 500
and the price of buying one would scare you

Hiya Bern,

Viewpoint in the Belfast Telegraph Thursday, April 19th, 2007 had an article on this subject. 

Lifeline needed for first time buyers.

More houses must be built, to meet the demand, and a higher proportion should be reserved for " social housing", at a low enough price to enable young people to buy their first home, and all the responsibilities that go with it. In the past, the direct rule regime has been reluctant to interfere with the market, but the new Assembly members can expect to be told that their help is needed. The new Minister for Social Development, Margaret Ritchie, has housing as part of her brief, and she has a timely review by Sir John Semple, a former head of the Civil Service, to act as her guide.

David Dunseith's "Talkback" programme this afternoon mentioned the subject of housing. Many speakers felt that speculators are ruining the market for the first time buyers. It is about time that the Government stepped in and controlled their activities.

zeebeedee

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 11:03:49 PM »
When I left Belfast in 1977 the house I was renting on the Shankill cost 98p per week admittedly it was a slum on the peace line with the springfield road and long since demolished
Political Correctness is the new Fascism
There is no-one more unchristian than the devout Christian

Mageeka

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 11:23:02 PM »
Bet ye wish you still had that house Zee !
Sold mine in Glengormley for 55 grand in 97.    I bought it for 25 in 1995
God knows what it is now

Christopher

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 11:53:03 PM »
God knows what it is now

Close on 100 I'd say

subby

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 02:32:55 PM »
I read recently that the house prices on the Falls are going through the roof.  Some of this is supposedly due to developers, who buy these homes , turn them into apartments for students at St Mary's College
Is that true for only that portion of the city,  that it is highest housing market  % increase ?
Possibly the Ormeau (IE QUB) would be the same ?

I sold 2 houses in Jameson St ( Ormeau Rd) in 1988
for 22,000 pounds each
What would they be worth to-day ?

I work at St. marys and I can tell you that the students here are being herded into crap accomodation but landlords, and it's private landlords the students use, just keep giving out poor value accomodation for extortionate prices

subby

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »
God knows what it is now

probably over 170k now...I'm from that area and can't buy a house for love nor money  >:(

Christopher

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 02:54:49 PM »
Northern Ireland house prices up 57.6% in a year The top five regional towns and cities experiencing the biggest annual rises in house prices were Belfast (up 61 per cent), Norwich (up 18 per cent), Oxford (up 17%), Cambridge (up 16%) and Carlisle (14%). Source: aboutproperty.co.uk

Christopher

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 10:18:34 AM »
probably over 170k now...I'm from that area and can't buy a house for love nor money  >:(

The prices of property on the Shankill have risen since you posted your message, subby. I'm listening to the Nolan Show and Stephen said that properties there are now priced at 185,000 to 200,000 on the Shankill. 

subby

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 10:29:22 AM »
I'm not living in the shankill mate, I'm in Whiteabbey/Glengormley area :)

aussietrekker

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 01:43:58 AM »
You'd all be rich over here.
The houses are fantastic value compared with the old country, but even so, first homebuyers are in deep s*it because the mortgage is still prohibitively high and needs a double income. If I were starting again, I'd sooner rent and have a chance of a stable marriage and happy family, and be able to stay home with the kids. When we bought our first place in 1987, interest rate was 17 and a half percent. On one and a bit incomes. So we just did without lots of things. The house was in a bad way and then the kids came along, but I would NEVER leave them for full-time work no matter how skint we were. I sooner would have sold the house and rented.
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

Mageeka

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 03:42:05 AM »
Aussie
Our rentals here are as high as most morgages  $1100 US per month to rent a 3 bedroom 3 B.Room living room, eat in kitchen, bungalow.  The city of Charlotte which is fifty minutes from me has one of the highest house price rises, in the States  Average 19% per year rise.
Folks are still buying like crazy, in order to get into the market before it is too late.

aussietrekker

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 09:54:15 AM »
Yeah, we go through that over here periodically.
But the Sh8t hits the fan when one partner loses a job or becomes pregnant. A large loan is now needed even for something modest out in the boonies. But so many starters are building/buying big haciendas way above their needs and budget. Wanting everything at once that their parents had by retirement. I read of a "sad" ::) story the other day about a mortgage going backwards after losing a job. The loan was horrendous. They were also paying off 2 new cars on the never-never, and their credit card maxed up to $38,000. Was I sympathetic? Not on your nellie!
"Never confuse religion with spirituality."
-Father Bob Maguire, South Melbourne. 2011.

Mageeka

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 07:27:42 PM »
Trekkar
I wonder what the foreclosure rate is in Belfast.>  I am thinking, on the increase