Author Topic: Australian Super Circus  (Read 6461 times)

Christopher

Australian Super Circus
« on: September 01, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »
Wednesday 10th September to Sunday 21st September

Venue: Upper Newtownards Road, Dundonald (Beside Lidl)

Duomaxwe!!

Re: Australian Super Circus
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:16:40 PM »
I was thinking about maybe going to this, do you have to buy tickets at it?

Or can you get them online or something?

Knit Pikken

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:37:02 PM »
If you follow this link, and switch on your sound, there's a video of what you'll be paying for:

http://www.bornfree.org.uk/campaigns/zoo-check/circuses-performing-animals/

Thousands of wild animals are used worldwide in circuses, side-shows, within zoos, and in advertising, film and television, to perform demeaning and unnatural tricks to entertain the public. The animals can live life continually on the move, often travelling vast distances chained, tethered or encaged, and endure harsh training regimes in order to correctly perform in front of an audience or camera. This is no life for a wild animal.

The first modern circus was established in 1768 in London, with horses and riders performing tricks. In later years, ‘wild beasts’ were made to perform alongside jugglers, acrobats and clowns, performing tricks which bore little relation to their natural behaviour. Today, little has changed. Wild animals are still moved from location to location, repeatedly loaded and unloaded, cramped into beastwagons or chained within trucks and trained to perform demeaning stunts. Encouragingly the popularity of circuses with animals is in decline as the public seek other forms of entertainment.

It is widely acknowledged that vertebrate animals can experience pain, suffering and distress. Research has shown that keeping wild animals in cramped conditions, in inadequate and unnatural social environments and subjecting them to repeated travel causes heightened stress responses that result in a serious negative impact on animal welfare. Many countries now have animal protection laws, and some have banned the use of some or all wild animals in circuses (e.g. Austria, Singapore).

Compiled by the Born Free Foundation with the help of www.crowtv.com and www.vividbroadcast.co.uk, this film provides some shocking footage and facts about the use of wild animals in circuses. Animals continually transported from place to place, kept in totally inadequate conditions and forced to perform in a degrading manner for our entertainment.  This kind of exploitation has no place in the 21st Century. Join Born Free in calling for an end to the use of ALL wild animals in circuses.

Further Information
Even in the UK animals still suffer in circuses. Born Free believes circuses and animal shows are cruel and unnecessary.  You may not be aware that there are still travelling shows in the UK which use wild animals from tigers and lions to camels and even an elephant.  This archaic exploitation of wild animals must be put to an end.  Find out more about wild animals in UK circuses and read the joint Born Free / RSPCA report campaigning for the ban of their use here.

Duomaxwe!!

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 03:16:05 AM »
Yeah, except that's a rather pessimistic view of the circus.

Which is rather in contrast to the jubilant time I would hope to have at one.

johnmck

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 03:23:09 AM »
the last time i went to the circus was about 1976. it was in blackpool and i saw the so called trainer use nails in his hands make an elephant stand up he kept jabbing the nails into the poor elephants feet to keep it standing. bloody awful

Knit Pikken

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 11:24:18 AM »
Yeah, except that's a rather pessimistic view of the circus.

I think I'd say realistic

Of course you can have a jubilant time as long as you don't look too closely and sweep the reality to the back of your mind  O0

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 12:41:46 PM »
I was thinking about maybe going to this, do you have to buy tickets at it?

Or can you get them online or something?

The Booking Office is onsite and open from 10.00am to 8.00am. Phone 077 6771 0011 for further information. There's a special First Day Offer ... All Seats cost £7.00 This Circus doesn't have a website although some animal rights people have given the show some publicity. I feel that there are those who love traditional circuses and others who have no interest in them. Posting animal rights view points on an informative thread is totally out of order. Why don't they start a thread of their own on The Lounge board.

Knit Pikken

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 05:01:12 PM »

Duomaxwe!!

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 08:43:37 PM »
I think I'd say realistic

Of course you can have a jubilant time as long as you don't look too closely and sweep the reality to the back of your mind  O0

I suspect there are worse things in the world, than the treatment of circus animals.

They're not going to get shot, skinned or eaten. So I say that alone suggests they could be in worse position.

I like animals, and don't like them being mistreated, but I think your circus phobia is unnecessary.

Knit Pikken

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 11:06:49 AM »
I suspect there are worse things in the world, than the treatment of circus animals.

They're not going to get shot, skinned or eaten. So I say that alone suggests they could be in worse position.

I like animals, and don't like them being mistreated, but I think your circus phobia is unnecessary.

There are worse things in the world than anything you care to name... so that makes everything ok ?

I don't have a circus phobia - there are magnificent circuses that don't use animals.  What I'm objectiing to, phobias don't come into it, is the mindless abuse of animals.

Duomaxwe!!

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 07:07:31 PM »
I have a coupon for the circus that like gives you a ticket half price.

The coupon says on it though, "ticket admits up to 5 people" does that mean I can use the coupon to get 5 half price tickets, or just one ticket allows 5 people to enter?

The way it's written it sounds like 1 ticket lets up to 5 people in, but £7 for 5 people into the circus seems pretty cheap so I'm confused.

maude018

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 07:32:54 PM »
does anyone know where i can get coupons for discount ticket prices for this circus?
thanks

Christopher

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 02:35:08 AM »
I have a coupon for the circus that like gives you a ticket half price.

The coupon says on it though, "ticket admits up to 5 people" does that mean I can use the coupon to get 5 half price tickets, or just one ticket allows 5 people to enter?

The way it's written it sounds like 1 ticket lets up to 5 people in, but £7 for 5 people into the circus seems pretty cheap so I'm confused.

£7 x 5 = £35 ;) This show is still touring Ireland. Keep your eyes open for their posters ... First Ever Visit ...

How can it be their First Ever Visit when they were in the area last year ???