Author Topic: forth river gardens  (Read 15206 times)

gismo

Re: forth river gardens
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2013, 10:53:15 PM »
in the early fifties i would shop on the sprinky road for my mother the coop was a shop i would go the most. it was just above ainsworth avenue at this time there was lots of shops to choose from the post office was on the other side of the road. as i said ther was at least 20 shops sold all kinds of things now ther are very few shops on the road gismo

Dommo

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2013, 12:21:08 AM »
   Anyone  remember where this street was off the springfield rd. ???
is it in the Glencairn area?
if yer gonna act the chivo, beware the chupacabra

Astor

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2013, 07:52:20 PM »
is it in the Glencairn area?

Ach don't be daft Dommo  ;) ;) it WAS almost opposite Woodvale Avenue, and led down to the Flush.  We had a shop on the corner but unfortunately we were "bombed out" in early 70's.    Sadly, the street is no longer there nor any of the lovely big  three-storeys on the two nearby blocks of houses, I was quite upset by the changes last time I walked up the Springfield, but that's progress for you. Ainsworth Avenue is no longer there either  :( :(      If you don't know Woodvale Avenue, you might know Colinward Street, it was about 5 roads past that.
Que Sera Sera

Astor

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »
in the early fifties i would shop on the sprinky road for my mother the coop was a shop i would go the most. it was just above ainsworth avenue at this time there was lots of shops to choose from the post office was on the other side of the road. as i said ther was at least 20 shops sold all kinds of things now ther are very few shops on the road gismo

gismo, we had the grocer's shop on the opposite corner to the post office, same block. I remember the Co-Op well,  mammy used to hate it, of course being a small shopkeeper, she would  :)
Que Sera Sera

Dommo

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2013, 07:55:14 PM »
Ach don't be daft Dommo  ;) ;) it WAS almost opposite Woodvale Avenue, and led down to the Flush.  We had a shop on the corner but unfortunately we were "bombed out" in early 70's.    Sadly, the street is no longer there nor any of the lovely big  three-storeys on the two nearby blocks of houses, I was quite upset by the changes last time I walked up the Springfield, but that's progress for you. Ainsworth Avenue is no longer there either  :( :(      If you don't know Woodvale Avenue, you might know Colinward Street, it was about 5 roads past that.
thanks? I have lost track of geography beyond west Belfast Wher Lotuss and I frolicked and went to mass.

Astor

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2013, 10:04:13 PM »
thanks? I have lost track of geography beyond west Belfast Wher Lotuss and I frolicked and went to mass.

Lucky you  ::) ::)     Happy St Patrick's Day. No doubt you're drowning your shamrock saint_patricks_day26
Que Sera Sera

Dommo

« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2013, 10:07:41 PM »
Lucky you  ::) ::)     Happy St Patrick's Day. No doubt you're drowning your shamrock saint_patricks_day26
not me. I m the driver...

Astor

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2013, 10:10:53 PM »
not me. I m the driver...

Aye right  ::)
Que Sera Sera

gismo

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2013, 11:42:48 PM »
hi astor the area has changed but alas not for the better i rem it was so vibrant i recall the lovely smell from hughes bakery wheh the bread was being made and as u said all the big three story houses have been demolished this is called progress but the whole caracter of the road has changed gismo

Astor

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2013, 11:09:12 PM »
hi astor the area has changed but alas not for the better i rem it was so vibrant i recall the lovely smell from hughes bakery wheh the bread was being made and as u said all the big three story houses have been demolished this is called progress but the whole caracter of the road has changed gismo

I agree gismo, it used to be a lovely area, and I noticed last year when I was home that Ainsworth Avenue is no longer there either, the houses there were lovely too :(
Que Sera Sera

sonofshanks

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2013, 10:11:07 PM »
Springfield Road was a lovely road in its day with some beautiful houses as well. I always found it a very quiet road, there never seemed to be that much traffic compared to other main roads. The quietness was of course shattered when the nonsense started. Unrecognisable these days of course. Such a shame. :( :( :( :( :(
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

Astor

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »
Springfield Road was a lovely road in its day with some beautiful houses as well. I always found it a very quiet road, there never seemed to be that much traffic compared to other main roads. The quietness was of course shattered when the nonsense started. Unrecognisable these days of course. Such a shame. :( :( :( :( :(

Nonsense indeed sonofshanks, it was a mixed area and never a moment's trouble ever when we lived there, kids of mixed relligions played side by side in the street all the time, tragic what has happened.
Que Sera Sera

sonofshanks

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2013, 09:51:45 AM »

Aerial photograph of Mackies and Springfield Road taken around 1972/73. Sorry about the poor quality.
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

Astor

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2013, 12:02:16 AM »
Thanks for posting that sonofshanks, I can barely make it out,  I lived about half a mile past Mackies, just before the bend on the Springfield.
Que Sera Sera

deirdre

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2013, 12:54:43 PM »
We had a grocers/greengrocers at the corner of Forth River Gardens, although our address was 314 Springfield Road. It was bombed out in the early 70's.

I remember the Gunnings from no 7 well - I was friendly with Maire Gunning, they moved to Crawley in Sussex.

I also remember Molly and Brendan Lamb who lived there but their names aren't on that list ???

Sadly Forth River Gardens is no longer there, I took a walk up the Springfield last year when I was home and the street was gone, brought a tear to my eye :'( :'( Annie Kerr was Brendan Lamb's mum...and my granda jimmy Kerrs sister...no.3 was my great grandparents Tom and Jane Ker's home.