Author Topic: forth river gardens  (Read 15509 times)

Palmer16

Re: forth river gardens
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
Palmer 16.  Hello.  My family owned this store (The Forthriver Stores) which was on the corner of Springfield Road and Forthriver Gardens (actual address was 314 Springfield Road). They would have been there from about 1890 until about 1920 or so.  When Samuel Alexander died in 1918, one of his sons took over the post office on the Ballygomartin Road which was run by him and then his sons, Tom and Carson Martin, right up until mid 1980s.  In fact, the 130 Ballygomartin Road Post Office and Store is still there and is called 'The Martin Centre' as it was given by them to the local community I believe and is run as a community Centre.
The Forthrivers Store was owned and run by my great grandfather, Samuel Alexander Martin and his wife Fanny Martin.  They had a large family of 13 (9 survived) and were were worshippers in Donegal Square Methodist Church but I believe they belonged to a Temperance LOL up by Forthriver.  One of their daugthers Ruby, married a John Cochrane and they lived in 1 Forthriver Gardens (you will see them on the 1901 and 1911 Census). Ruby was born about 1875.  The youngest child of Samuel and Fanny was called Tom Martin and he was born in 1894 and joined up with the Young Citizen Volunteers (14th Btn. RIR) also.  Sadly he was killed near Albertville on 6 May 1916 in the build up to the battle of the Somme.  I dont think the family ever got over it.  My grandfather was the second youngest child, Frederick Martin, and was born in 1888.  However, he died before I was born and I think most of the Martins have died out.  Despite being such a large brood they did not all marry and have children.  I have some press cuttings from when Tom was killed in France and one of the insertions was from St Matthews CHurch Total Abstinence LOL 860 .  This is a link to the insertion. You might be able to view it.  byhttp://mediasvc.ancestry.com/image/ed6ca0fd-055b-4124-b7d3-adacf1857c41.jpg?Client=Trees&NamespaceID=1093
It is highly likely that if your GGF hung around the shop, in all liklihood he was friendly with Tom Martin.  Do you have any photos from that time?
Unfortunately I do not think there is anyone left who can fill in on any exciting stories but I would be delighted to hear any you may have.  Regards, Judith Martin Blair

Palmer16

« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2013, 07:15:05 PM »
Hello  Astor

Hope you get this . I have some information about how your Great Uncle Tom may have died on 6th May 1916  His picture, the one you sent me  , is included in a book called Young Citizen Old Soldier which is the journal of  Rifleman James McRoberts who served in 14th. Bought it from the Somme Museum. Tom seems to have joined A company but for some reason on the night of 6th May he was with D company. His trench came under bombardment in a furious exchange with the Germans . The description is really upsetting so I will only send it if you really want me to. He was killed with 12 others. He is buried in the military Cemetery at Authuuile grave D55 but you probably already know that. Our Willie we think remained with za company which was unscathed. I would like to look at his death notices when I am in the newspaper library. Can you tell me which papers they Erwin and on what date.i am researching other diaries in RIR museum at the moment so if I get any more info I will be in touch Brenda

Palmer16

« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »
sorry got the name wrong . It is Malahide not Astor. Head addled with research

Astor

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2013, 10:21:19 PM »
sorry got the name wrong . It is Malahide not Astor. Head addled with research

No problem Palmer, I've not seen Malahide on here for ages, you might be better to pm her, she may then get a message to her home email address saying there's a message for her.
Que Sera Sera

malahide

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »
Brenda.  Hi there and thanks for the message and all the information.   I knew that Tom and his comrades had died a pretty awful death (this information was given to me by the guy Peter Scott who originally contacted me).  However, I had not realised that he had ended up with a different company on the night in question.  Talk about when you number is up!!  When its your time to go and all that.  Anyhow, I will go into my Ancestry.co.uk Genealogy Page and look at all the information sent to me by Peter and the newspaper cuttings.  I am not sure if it states what the paper is as he only sent me the snippet which contained Toms details... Let me know if I have already sent stuff to you... like yourself my brrain is addled with research so cannot recall.... Thanks, Judith

Palmer16

« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2013, 11:10:22 PM »
Great to be in touch. Would you like me to photocopy the pages and send them.

malahide

« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2013, 11:26:49 PM »
Perfect Brenda... or if you can, do you want to attach to an email and send to my private email address? 

damker7

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2013, 08:32:18 PM »
I hate to hijack a thread but it seems like a lot of folk posting here were from the area originally and might be able to help me.  I'm looking for any info or photos of Maurice Street where my grandfather was born and raised.  I'm also trying to work out what side the even and odd numbers were, there were only 6 or so houses on the street,  1 (I assume to be a corner - pub) 3 5 7, opposite numbers 2 4 and 6.  Any help appreciated. :)

Anyone looking for an old map of the area might find this useful (I scanned and pieced together two ordnance survey maps dating from the early 1900s)

AL CAPONE

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2013, 08:58:13 AM »
Looking up the Springfiled to your left. Elswick St , Tennyson St, Forth River Gardens, Pollard St Maurice St. On your right Mayo St, Ainsworth Avenue, Mountcashel St and Bainsmore. Fortriver was opposite and between Mountcashel and Bainsmore. There was no pub there was Mc Governs Shop.

You forgot Ruskin Street, Tennyson St did not run off the springfield road.

chink

« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2013, 03:11:30 PM »
god al your very precise

Tipperdarby

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2013, 03:42:50 PM »
I went to St Dominic's with a lovely girl from Tennyson St. Her name was Deirdre Mc Comish and she trained as a nurse in the Royal. I trained in the City so we lost touch. Do any of you remember her? She is my age, 62.

chink

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »
sorry can't say i knew her  i lived up that way from 1971  was that her maiden name

Tipperdarby

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2013, 03:57:51 PM »
sorry can't say i knew her  i lived up that way from 1971  was that her maiden name
Yes it was Chink but by 1971 she would have finished her training and could have gone who knows where.
How about the Morrissey family? Anyone remember them? I am not sure what street they lived in though. Barney married my friend Helen but he died last year 2 days before their 40th wedding anniversary. Lovely fellow.

chink

« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »
no sorry but somebodies bound to remember

Tommy Lamb

« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2014, 04:57:23 AM »
I remember the McComish family in Tennyson Street. I think some of them are living in the Finaghy area now.