Author Topic: forth river gardens  (Read 15260 times)

deirdre

Re: forth river gardens
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 07:24:04 AM »
That Forth River Gardens list must be pre 1922. It shows Christy Clarke of the RIC. He was shot dead in 1922 during the troubles. The Annie Kerr in number 3 is my grandmother. In 1922 her name would have been Lamb.
Tommy .my great aunt Annie Kerr married a Hugh Francis Lamb,the Kerr family ,my great grandparents Thomas kerr and jane Bell lived on Forthriver gdns...are we related?

Tommy Lamb

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »
No doubt about it...lol. I visited their grave just a few weeks ago at Hannahstown. I remember being at both their funerals when I was young. I was born in Tennyson Street just off Forth River Gds and spent my childhood in and out of Number 3. I remember people talking about Jane Bell "the Belle of the Hill". She was renowned for her beauty. I remember Jimmy Kerr well. He lived just around the corner. He was married to Alice. He was a character....died around the mid 60's. My father was John Francis Lamb born in 1922 at 3 Forth River Gds.

Tommy Lamb

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 01:21:14 PM »
Another interesting point....one of my young sisters is called Annie Kerr Lamb.

deirdre

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 02:52:07 PM »
Another interesting point....one of my young sisters is called Annie Kerr Lamb.
..Thomas and Jane lived at 16 Tennyson st in 1901. Have you any photos of Thomas and Jane...i sent you a PM..

malahide

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 08:25:09 PM »
Astor, think I may have spoken with you before.  Forthriver Gardens was (at one stage anyhow) on corner with 314 Springfield Road.  In 1901 and 1911 is was also a Grocers and owned by my Great Grandfather, Samuel Alexander Martin.  He had been there since the 1890s.  Also,  the John Cochrane at No 1 Forthriver Gardens was his Son in Law - married to his daughter Ruby Martin Cochrane.

Astor

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »
Astor, think I may have spoken with you before.  Forthriver Gardens was (at one stage anyhow) on corner with 314 Springfield Road.  In 1901 and 1911 is was also a Grocers and owned by my Great Grandfather, Samuel Alexander Martin.  He had been there since the 1890s.  Also,  the John Cochrane at No 1 Forthriver Gardens was his Son in Law - married to his daughter Ruby Martin Cochrane.

Hi malahide, not sure if we've spoken before or not, I lived at 314 in that very same grocer's shop. Parents bought it in about 1957/8 I believe. I don't know any of the names you've mentioned.    Forth River Gardens sadly is no longer there, that part of the new is all rows of fairly new terraced houses.

Do you live in Malahide, I have a 93 year old aunt there :)
Que Sera Sera

malahide

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 11:02:26 PM »
Hi Astor.  Yes indeed Martins owned and ran grocers at 314 Springfield Road up to and including around the 40s I think.  Their daughter, Mina Martin Kennedy continued to run the grocers after the death of her parents in 1918 and 1933, respectively.  Not sure when she sold it.  Another son continued the business after moving to and taking over the Ballygomartin Road Post Office (at 130 Ballygomartin Road).  He is dead some 20 years  but I believe 130 Ballygomartin Road is now called The Martin Centre and is a commmunity based residence with many local groups using it as a base.   The connection to the area lives on.... wonderful indeed.
Who is your 93 year old Aunt??? Ihave lived here 16 years and its a small enough community - I may know her.... is she from Malahide???
Was/is your family name Astor??? I wonder did your people buy the shop off  the Martins?

sonofshanks

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »
Hi Astor.  Yes indeed Martins owned and ran grocers at 314 Springfield Road up to and including around the 40s I think.  Their daughter, Mina Martin Kennedy continued to run the grocers after the death of her parents in 1918 and 1933, respectively.  Not sure when she sold it.  Another son continued the business after moving to and taking over the Ballygomartin Road Post Office (at 130 Ballygomartin Road).  He is dead some 20 years  but I believe 130 Ballygomartin Road is now called The Martin Centre and is a commmunity based residence with many local groups using it as a base.   The connection to the area lives on.... wonderful indeed.
Who is your 93 year old Aunt??? Ihave lived here 16 years and its a small enough community - I may know her.... is she from Malahide???
Was/is your family name Astor??? I wonder did your people buy the shop off  the Martins?

I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

Astor

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 08:27:06 PM »
Great picture sonofshanks  O0

Malahide,   mammy did try at one stage to get the Post Office on the other corner, but wasn't successful.

I have sent you a PM, I hope you don't mind.
Que Sera Sera

malahide

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 10:47:28 PM »
SonofShanks... Where did you get this photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is amazing.. Is this Mina Martin and I wonder if one of the men is her brother David Martin or husband Isaac Kennedy????  How did you come by such a wonderful photo???? I am so curious to know more

malahide

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2012, 10:50:42 PM »
Or could this possibly be Carsie Martin and his brother Tom who ran the post office at 130 Ballygomartin Road?  They would be grandsons on the original Samuel Alexander Martin and sons of Samuel Alexander Martin junior who had other grocers at Turin Street and Devonshire Street, that I know of.  I think the store at 314 Springfield Road (or perhaps BallygomartinRoad) - but certainly one of them - was known as The Forthriver Stores....

sonofshanks

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »

Malahide / Astor,
The photo I posted comes from the book 'Away up Thonder' which was published by Fernhill House and Belfast City Council around 2001 I think. It deals with people and places in the Upper Shankill, Woodvale, Ballygomartin,Glencairn,Highfield,Springmartin and Springfield districts. It says of the Martins: the Martin family moved to the area around the late 1920s from the Grosvenor Road area and established a grocers shop on the Ballygomartin Road which they lived above. They established a Post Office for the area around 1943 which continued until the 1970s. The shop itself closed during the 90s and is now an early years centre called 'the Martin centre' in honour of the family who had put their roots down all those years ago. I remember using the shop years ago and then as well as being a grocers I think they also did hardware and some 'fancy goods'. They were lovely people and prided themselves on customer service, something sadly lacking today. Forth River Stores was their shop on the Springfield Road. The above photo was taken in their Ballygomartin Road shop, I believe.

Astor

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2012, 09:00:56 PM »
Very interesting sonofshanks, how nice for malahide to read that.    I think we didn't buy it until late 50's and if my memory serves me well, it had been closed for a while (no idea for how long) when we got it and my parents had to build up the goodwill again, hence we kept our shop in Hawthorn Street for a wee while until it "took off".    Sadly it was destroyed in the early 70's, luckily my mother got out in time TG.

Thank you for the info, all shops in those times prided themselves on customer service, sadly no such thing nowadays.   Malahide will no doubt be delighted with your post  :)
Que Sera Sera

sonofshanks

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2012, 09:52:42 PM »

I cannot be sure but I am almost certain that one of the Gentlemen in the photo above was called Tom. I can recall my Mother in law referring to the shop as 'Toms'  ???

malahide

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »
Son of Shanks/Astor

I am beyond thrilled with this photo and your accompanying story.  How absolutely wonderful for me.  This is all the more poignant as the Martin family had been quite prolific.  However, many of the grandchildren of old man Samuel did not marry.   I am the grand daughter of his second youngest son so many of the other grandchildren are long gone.  The family is very diminished and I have not got many photos so this is brilliant.  You are absolutely correct in your understanding of Tom... that would be Tom Martin who ran the Post Office with his brother Edward Carson (Carsie) Martin.  They were my great Uncles.  Carsie died in 1985 I think and Tom around 1990.  The very first shop was at 191 Grosvenor Street (as it was then called) and was S A Martin and Sons.... The Martins moved up to the Springfield Road around 1908/09 and they lived about the shop I believe.  They were a very tight knit family I think and would have been big into musical evenings around the piano  I remember my (long deceased) Dad telling me about being up there with all his Uncles and Aunts on Friday nights when they all gather together. 
Thanks again for this photo SonofShanks and I am going to check out the book on line or next time I am up in Belfast and see if I can get.. Wonderful.