Author Topic: The Elephant Bar  (Read 14714 times)

tobytwo

The Elephant Bar
« on: September 07, 2008, 10:07:49 AM »
 After i finished work in Kent street i would go into the elephant bar for a beer with an older man from the shankill road who would then leave me up winetavern st to -wards castle street to get a black hack to the murph, i did,nt realise it then but Eddie as he was called was making sure i was getting home safely as there was a lot of danger at that time in the city(I was only 15-16)my query is what happened to the elephant on the top of the bar.
never worry about life cause life will look after its-self.

teragram

Re: The Elephant Bar
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 01:32:33 PM »
After i finished work in Kent street i would go into the elephant bar for a beer with an older man from the shankill road who would then leave me up winetavern st to -wards castle street to get a black hack to the murph, i did,nt realise it then but Eddie as he was called was making sure i was getting home safely as there was a lot of danger at that time in the city(I was only 15-16)my query is what happened to the elephant on the top of the bar.

The elephant went home with Eddie 'cause it knew not to hang around with under aged drinkers O0 :D ;D >:(
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

tobytwo

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 02:12:27 PM »

The elephant went home with Eddie 'cause it knew not to hang around with under aged drinkers O0 :D ;D >:(
good old belfast wit .
never worry about life cause life will look after its-self.

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 02:59:59 PM »
The missing elephant is one of Belfast's mysteries. Possibly a circus proprietor who collected assorted sizes of model elephants in a variety of materials passed the word around and some bright spark removed it and sold it to him. I hope whoever sold it to whoever purchased it was given a good price. If the collector has any decency in them they might consider donating the elephant to Belfast as it was a well known landmark in the coty.

Belle Fast

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 02:03:08 PM »
The missing elephant is one of Belfast's mysteries. Possibly a circus proprietor who collected assorted sizes of model elephants in a variety of materials passed the word around and some bright spark removed it and sold it to him. I hope whoever sold it to whoever purchased it was given a good price. If the collector has any decency in them they might consider donating the elephant to Belfast as it was a well known landmark in the coty.
With your connections in the circus world Chrisopher you can call one of them clowns and have it retuned ;D ;D ;D

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 06:12:57 PM »
With your connections in the circus world Chrisopher you can call one of them clowns and have it retuned ;D ;D ;D

Bit of a clown yourself thinking the only people in circuses are clowns. Like other businesses they employ people experienced in many other occcupations. Your cracks indicate you're a bit of a clown yourself so I'll do you a favour and recommend you for a job if they're ever in need of a clown  ;D ;D ;D

Mageeka

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 12:57:08 AM »
Belle
I think we just hit amateur hour
From your reputation in the Pigeon club I think you would be better employed as an acrobat  Baaybeeee :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

AL CAPONE

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 05:04:10 PM »
 What do you call an elephant wearing pink earmuffs and a dress?
 Anything you want, it can't hear you.  ;D

How do you know if there are three elephants in the pub?
 Stand on the wall and have a look in the window ;D

Belle Fast

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:32:58 AM »
Belle
I think we just hit amateur hour
From your reputation in the Pigeon club I think you would be better employed as an acrobat  Baaybeeee :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
maybe a few pints for swinging round a pole or a Russian for that matter I'm not fussy as you  know M ;)

St.Anthony

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 12:36:08 PM »
Did you know the Elephant was actually made of wood?  I was told where it went but I have forgotten.  I'll have to backtrack and find out where it is. 

Does anyone remember the names of the bar staff?

St.Anthony

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 01:07:50 AM »
In the Lounge Sally Matthews from Samuel Street was the barmaid and I remember in the mid seventies Micky murphy from Unity Flats was a barman.
I remember one night he was browned off and locked the doors and gave  the drink free to the punters who were in the bar.   Sadly he is currently receiving treatment for the big C.  He was a great barman and a character.

His was one of the families evacuated from the streets around Carlisle Circus in 1969. They lived in Lonsdale Street.

kitzel1971

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 05:10:55 PM »
my great grandfather worked on that elephant, would be greatful if anyone could give me info on where it may be

PaPah Okie

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »
Does anyone know the name of the bar on North Street back in the 1880's?   I think it was at 196 North Street...  building is no longer there, a fenced park area now...   Thanks in advance..

merseyperson

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 09:39:05 PM »
Does anyone know the name of the bar on North Street back in the 1880's?   I think it was at 196 North Street...  building is no longer there, a fenced park area now...   Thanks in advance..

;) You can remember the address of a pub from 1880 !, that's good going, how much was a pint back then. ?

Would this be your old watering hole. ?  196 & 194 McCann, Luke, spirit dealer

You can check out all of the 1880 premises on that street on the link below.

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/ncomplete1880.htm

That was quite a street back then, there are umpteen spirit dealers listed, and it had so many facilities available, it looks as if you could have got yourself and your horse conveniently clothed, shoed, fed, intoxicated, and doctored, all in the space of not many yards.

Have you had a look in the pictures forum ?, there is a mass of incredible photographs in there.

Lilyrose

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 09:42:20 AM »
I remember the Elephant Bar but I was only a kid back then. My mum would take me to the cafe next door as a treat. It had wooden cubicles and the seats were so well polished that (as a kid) it was hard to keep your bum from sliding down on the narrow bench.

You always knew you were in for a teat if you saw the elephant.

Can't remember the last time I saw it  :(
DILLIGAF!