Author Topic: The Elephant Bar  (Read 11966 times)

RobRoy

Re: The Elephant Bar
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 01:19:26 PM »

You always knew you were in for a teat if you saw the elephant.

Can't remember the last time I saw it  :(
 :buck2: :buck2: :to_clue:

Bigali

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 01:31:25 PM »
I remember the Elephant Bar but I was only a kid back then. My mum would take me to the cafe next door as a treat. It had wooden cubicles and the seats were so well polished that (as a kid) it was hard to keep your bum from sliding down on the narrow bench.

I'm always up for a teat  ;)
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

notguilty

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 02:26:53 PM »
  sucker

Lilyrose

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 06:10:26 PM »

What you doing messing with my post RR ;) [size=78%] [/size] :D
DILLIGAF!

Lilyrose

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 06:12:09 PM »

I'm always up for a teat  ;)

That should have been TREAT  :-[
DILLIGAF!

merseyperson

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 08:00:53 PM »
I remember the Elephant Bar but I was only a kid back then. My mum would take me to the cafe next door as a treat. It had wooden cubicles and the seats were so well polished that (as a kid) it was hard to keep your bum from sliding down on the narrow bench.

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,37221.msg893937.html#msg893937
The cafe with the counter at the far end ?, the wooden booths along the right hand side ?, and a red or green neon sign behind the counter. ?

Lilyrose

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 08:35:42 PM »
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,37221.msg893937.html#msg893937
The cafe with the counter at the far end ?, the wooden booths along the right hand side ?, and a red or green neon sign behind the counter. ?

The very same!

I never entered the bar not even as an adult.
DILLIGAF!

merseyperson

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 06:42:26 AM »
The very same!
I never entered the bar not even as an adult.
Funnily enough I was thinking about that cafe in the past few days, it was a treat for me too for some reason, and on shopping trips to town, my mother always used to take me in there on the way to catch the bus.

We always sat in the booth by the counter, I was a big pastie fan back then, ( the Belfast kind ), they always served heavily buttered white bread with the food and frothy coffee made with milk, I usually had that or 7up, good grief how do I remember that stuff. ! I had a fascination for that neon sign, it always seemed somehow exotic to me, very American perhaps.

Then it was off to the bus and Smithfield Market via Gresham Street to view the pups in the window of the pet shop and  the model of the ocean liner in the window of the shipping office, and it had to be through Smithfield and not around it.

I adored that place, and I especially always loved all the old safes there, every safe in Ireland eventually seemed to end up there, all sizes from small ones to huge ones, all very old and often with ornate brasswork, and loads of fantastic old paintings. The bric a brac in there would be worth a fortune today, I always suspected even then that there were many rarities to be found there.

Most of all, those places and events always remind me of my mother.

RobRoy

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 09:40:20 AM »

That should have been TREAT  :-[

That's how I read it. :o ;) :D

Lilyrose

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 10:42:36 AM »
Funnily enough I was thinking about that cafe in the past few days, it was a treat for me too for some reason, and on shopping trips to town, my mother always used to take me in there on the way to catch the bus.

We always sat in the booth by the counter, I was a big pastie fan back then, ( the Belfast kind ), they always served heavily buttered white bread with the food and frothy coffee made with milk, I usually had that or 7up, good grief how do I remember that stuff. ! I had a fascination for that neon sign, it always seemed somehow exotic to me, very American perhaps.

Then it was off to the bus and Smithfield Market via Gresham Street to view the pups in the window of the pet shop and  the model of the ocean liner in the window of the shipping office, and it had to be through Smithfield and not around it.

I adored that place, and I especially always loved all the old safes there, every safe in Ireland eventually seemed to end up there, all sizes from small ones to huge ones, all very old and often with ornate brasswork, and loads of fantastic old paintings. The bric a brac in there would be worth a fortune today, I always suspected even then that there were many rarities to be found there.

Most of all, those places and events always remind me of my mother.

You and I have very similar memories of that place and very happy ones at that. :)

I also remember the bread and butter. That's the one thing that still sticks in my head today. I remember us sitting in the booth and me trying not to slide onto the floor (I was only about 6/7) and also wondering 'how am I going to eat my bread and butter with a knife and fork'.
My mum most have noticed I was having problems for the table came to just under my chin and my food was going to go everywhere. She put her cutlery down and helped me up onto my honkers and said ' you eat your food whatever way you like and don't ever worry about what other people think' and I eat the best chip buttie in the world with my hands. I can still taste the vinegar as the smell hit the back of your throat.

Was it me or did you think their vinegar was strong?

When your one of 6 kids getting your mum all to yourself is nothing short of a miracle.

I loved that pet shop, it was more like a little zoo. The sawdust on the ground and also in your mouth lol  .All the leads hanging from the roof and I was in and out that door like a yoyo checking to see if I'd mist anything on the way in.

My memories of Smithfield are very vague these days.I know I went there but I'm finding it harder and harder distinguish the new from the old anymore. I'll have to see if I can find any old pictures to jog my memory.

(in my head)I'm still tasting that butter as it runs down my hand onto the chips. So thanks for sharing that :)

Funny you should mention safes because it's keys with me. I love looking at old keys and that's probably where it steams from, going to Smithfield as a kid.

DILLIGAF!

merseyperson

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »
I don't recall the vinegar, other than the standard type bottles that it was in on the tables, and nowadays I can't abide even the smell of vinegar.

Smithfield I recall vividly, it was like stepping into a Victorian time machine, and the area had a very louche and racy history, no wonder that it didn't find favour with the grandees of Belfast Corporation.

As with most things Belfast and historical it gets a good coverage on the Rushlight site.

http://smithfieldmarket.rushlightmagazine.com/index.html

http://rushlightmagazine.com/

Also, there is a fantastic 1959 BBC video of it, with a superb narration, and before I watched this I had forgotten about the magic and joke shop, another of my favourites.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/ni1960s/11701.shtml

Now, time to get this thread almost back on topic,...which was the question from the thread starter..." my query is what happened to the elephant on the top of the bar. "

Well this isn't the Elephant Bar, but it's close, and it's very nice, it's a short vid about historical Belfast Pubs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCdJSnx1vM

Lilyrose

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 11:27:59 AM »
Considering that the original thread was started 5 years ago I don't think it really matters anymore.  ;)
DILLIGAF!

EllCee

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 11:42:44 AM »
Fate of Belfast pub's elephant remains a mystery

Email
    Print
    Font Size

The Elephant House back in its glory days, when Nellie stood proud on her perch

By Eddie McIlwaine 01 October 2013

I wonder if the schoolboy newspaper-seller standing in the doorway of the lamented Elephant bar can help solve one of Belfast's intriguing mysteries: whatever happened to Nellie the elephant, who vanished from her perch above the mantel sometime in the 1990s just before the long-closed pub was demolished?

There has been a lot of speculation about the whereabouts of this much-loved elephant down the years, which I bring back to life today in this vintage picture. If the paperboy is still around, perhaps he will get in touch.

More:  http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/fate-of-belfast-pubs-elephant-remains-a-mystery-29622470.html
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Mercedes430

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 08:32:34 PM »
Yeh I used to run from winetarvern street and bring back the chips salt was not in a shaker it was in a bowl
and you help yourself. It was an Italian family who owned the Cafe

bridge ender

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 12:58:29 AM »
Hi All
 there is another thread that mentions the Elephant Bar

BE
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.