Author Topic: Shipbuilding Connells of Belfast  (Read 7485 times)

BryanConnell

Shipbuilding Connells of Belfast
« on: September 25, 2006, 04:05:21 AM »
I am interested in any descendants of Charles Connell born approx. 1872 in Ayrshire, Scotland. He went on to become a prominent shipbuilder in Belfast, Ireland during the 1820s (starting Charles Connell and Sons in Belfast circa 1820) and died in Belfast in 1844 aged 72 years. Charles Connell is buried in the Clifton Street Cemetery, Belfast.

Charles Connell (married Ann Hamilton in Ayrshire) had several children - all born in Ayrshire , most of whom accompanied him to Belfast approx. 1815, including Alexander (Sandy) Connell who continued the Belfast "Charles Connell and Sons" shipbuilding yard until the 1860s. Sandy Connell died in 1875 and is buried in the Carnmoney Cemetery, Belfast.

However, Charles' eldest son JOHN CONNELL, remained in Ayrshire and married Mary CUTHBERT approx 1819. John and Mary Connell's eldest son, William Connell, was born, June 1820 in Dundonald, Ayrshire,1820 - I am particularly interested in him. John and Mary Cuthbert's second son, Charles Connell, born Dundonald, February 1822, went on to found "Charles Connell and Company" shipbuilders on the Clyde, Glasgow, Scotland in the 1860s.

If anyone knows anything about the descendants of either Belfast or Ayrshire branches of the Connell family I would be most appreciative.

eastender

Re: Shipbuilding Connells of Belfast
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 05:13:49 AM »
I found an Alexander Connal, born 26 AUG 1808 in Irvine, Ayr, Scotland on the LDS site, with parents Charles Connal and Ann Hamilton. Is that Sandy?

Sometimes spelling got screwed up back then.  ;D
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

eastender

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 05:29:53 AM »
I take it you have checked the LDS site for a starting base?

They say Charles Connel married Ann Hamilton on May 13 1793 in Irvine, Ayr, Scotland. They had Charles 1797, Ann 1799, Jane 1801 and Janet 1803, prior to Alexander in 1808. (All children born in Irvine, Ayr.) John might have been born before Charles, but not listed. Note the one l in the last name.
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 06:52:56 AM »
I've created a link to Pauline's thread involving a search for William John Connell, Bryan.

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 05:40:43 AM »
Hello Bryan,

The 1852 Directory of Belfast and the Province of Ulster has listings in the Belfast section for ...

Alexander Connell & Co., ship builders, Graving Dock, Corporation Street
William Connell, shipbuilder, 68, Nelson Street

In the 1861 directory on the Lennon Wylie website  

Alexander Connell, ship builder &c., 54 Garmoyle Street.

In the 1880 directory on the Lennon Wylie website  

No listing

Christopher

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »
BryanConnell's visit was short and sweet ... 29 minutes

Avril

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 09:49:18 PM »
I am interested in any descendants of Charles Connell born approx. 1872 in Ayrshire, Scotland. He went on to become a prominent shipbuilder in Belfast, Ireland during the 1820s (starting Charles Connell and Sons in Belfast circa 1820) and died in Belfast in 1844 aged 72 years. Charles Connell is buried in the Clifton Street Cemetery, Belfast.

Charles Connell (married Ann Hamilton in Ayrshire) had several children - all born in Ayrshire , most of whom accompanied him to Belfast approx. 1815, including Alexander (Sandy) Connell who continued the Belfast "Charles Connell and Sons" shipbuilding yard until the 1860s. Sandy Connell died in 1875 and is buried in the Carnmoney Cemetery, Belfast.

However, Charles' eldest son JOHN CONNELL, remained in Ayrshire and married Mary CUTHBERT approx 1819. John and Mary Connell's eldest son, William Connell, was born, June 1820 in Dundonald, Ayrshire,1820 - I am particularly interested in him. John and Mary Cuthbert's second son, Charles Connell, born Dundonald, February 1822, went on to found "Charles Connell and Company" shipbuilders on the Clyde, Glasgow, Scotland in the 1860s.

If anyone knows anything about the descendants of either Belfast or Ayrshire branches of the Connell family I would be most appreciative.

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 03:31:04 AM »
Hi Avril,

Welcome to the Forum.

Have you some information about the Connell family?

Christopher

RTB

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 11:42:06 AM »
Hi

My Moore family moved from Antrim to Dundonald late 1860, early 1861 (they are on the Dundonald, Troon 1861 Census), The daughter Catherine Anne Moore married John Arnot Connell 30th October 1874 in Troon. John born 30th April 1851 to David Connell and Jane Arnot.  They married 27th November 1835 at Dundonald.

David Connell born circa 1810 to Thomas Connell, no other information on the family, would be interested if any connection?  I would suspect if any,   they would have been the poor one to the Shipbuilding Connells.

Regards

Richard

Avril

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 05:18:34 PM »
Hi Bryan
I have ancestors shipbuilding Connells.  New to this wud like 2 see if this goes thru before I spend time writing.
Avril

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 06:07:04 PM »
Charles Connell's date of birth must have been 1772 and not 1872

I wonder if Alexander (Sandy) had any descendents.

Burnfoot

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 08:48:12 PM »
Ddear Bryan, just came across this;

My mother's maiden name was Clara Connell;

Her father was James Hamilton Connell who married Elsie Smith in Belfast  (Licence granted on 17 March 1905, I'm not sure of the date of the wedding). 

Her Great-Grandfather was Charles Connell the shipbuilder. (I must try and trace the missing Grandfather -I was told he had many children but I have no details -any knowledge?).

She married Arnold Fanning from Birr and moved to Tralee in 1932.

She died 2004 aged 98. She had 5 sons, 1 Daughter.  I have a phote of her aged 94 with her daughter (my sister), her grand-son, her great grandson and her great-great- grandson - five generations. Dosn't happen often.

Best wishes Patrick

Andi

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 07:27:29 AM »
Hi Burnfoot

There are some records on this site for James Hamilton Connell -

http://pilot.familysearch.org

You may have seen it already but it may be useful to you  O0

avril jones

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 11:37:38 PM »
Hi Bryan
I am a descendant of the shipbuilding Connells and would be very interested if you could contact me as your message was sometime ago.
Regards Avril Connell

avril jones

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 11:43:27 PM »
Hi Patrick - Burnfoot
Are you related to any Connells in Northern Ireland - I have a feeling you are a relation of mine!
Avril