Author Topic: Milltown / Bog Meadows Babies.  (Read 410652 times)

charles w

Milltown / Bog Meadows Babies.
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:27:34 PM »
I met a lady today and she is doing research into babies buried in the Bog Meadows.   She had come up against a stone wall but she told me that she did in the end get some information.  During her research she met with a lot of opposition from the Catholic Church.  One priest asked her to leave when approached about the subject.  After the priest had moved from the parish the lady approached the new priest.  He was more than helpful.  Her quest for information of the bog babies is that she it researching for a television company who is making a programme on the subject.
She informed me of the history of the Milltown Cemetery area and I was able to fill her on it's earlier history.  She was not aware that the area had been the site of a corn mill.  Did any of you ever hear anything of the bog babies?

Lillikins

Re: Milltown / Bog Meadows Babies.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 08:53:26 PM »
This sounds very interesting Charles - I will keep a close eye on this thread. O0

deke

I used to be indecisive.   Now I'm not so sure.

dingadong04

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:05:18 AM »
read thru that article deke ..my older brother Anthony was one of those children buried down at the bottom of the graveyard ..as far as i know my Da buried him himself  and for years my mother never  knew where ,. But a few years ago we as a family were able to go to the graveyard a pay our own wee tribute to a brother we never met but we always knew about. And There is a memorial in the Cemetery but have to agree with the article it is,nt much

deke

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 02:37:24 AM »
dingadong    it must have been terribly hard on the families to have to bury a child this way, being a prod myself I believe your brother Anthony is in heaven with all the other little children, but I respect you and your family's beliefs.
I used to be indecisive.   Now I'm not so sure.

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 03:02:17 AM »
What would Jesus Christ make of the Catholic Church's International Theological Commission's views on those unbaptised babies? Have the Commission members not heard the simple, straightforward words "Suffer the Little Children to come unto me and forbid them not for such is the Kingdom of Heaven." It seems to me that he understood the problems of such babies ... there were probably a great many in his day. It's utterly ridiculous that parents had to suffer the clergy telling them that their dead babies could not have a Christian burial.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 04:13:09 AM »
In opposition to the church, John Tohill, once Bishop of Down and Connor, who died in 1814, chose to be buried in the unconsecrated plot at Milltown Cemetery, so that the blessings bestowed on him would extend to the entire plot.

A man to be admired. O0
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 04:16:54 AM »
A man to be admired. O0

It's great to learn those babies are in good company O0

John Tohill was consecrated as the 26th Lord Bishop of Down and Connor in 1908.

He died suddenly on 4th July 1914.

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 09:15:45 PM »
This evening's 9.00pm News on Radio Ulster mentioned a that a protest demonstration had been staged at 2.00pm this afternoon by relatives of the Bog Meadow babies. The relatives are calling on the Catholic Church to apologise for moving the babies out of Milltown Cemetery.

On Monday the Andersonstown News revealed that hundreds of infants are now interred at the neighbouring nature reserve after Catholic Church officials botched the redrawing of the cemetery boundaries. A wooden fence now cuts off the Bog Meadows babies from the rest of Milltown. Adding to the families’ heartbreak is the fact that the graves are now covered with trees and bushes.

Cemetery officials are currently in talks with Bog Meadows representatives about reclaiming the land. However, relatives of the babies want the Catholic Church to apologise for its “terrible mistake”.

On Wednesday they staged a dignified protest at the gates of Milltown during which they called for the Church to say sorry.

“We want the Catholic Church to apologise for its terrible mistake,” said Donna Hanvey, whose brother, Michael Patrick Hanvey – who died aged just one day – is one of the Bog Meadows babies.

“’The Catholic Church has known about this for a while, but the fence still hasn’t been moved to bring the babies’ graves back into the cemetery. That isn’t good enough – the land needs to be reclaimed immediately.”

The grave of Eileen Strong’s son, Stephen Strong – who died aged just two days – is among those affected. As well as demanding an apology from the Catholic Church the grieving mum wants Church leaders to build a permanent memorial to the Bog Meadows babies.

She said: “It is the least the Church could do after all the heartbreak it has caused us. I first spoke out about this in April, but now I have been proved right. The Church should do the decent thing and reclaim the land where the babies are buried.”

Catholic Church spokesman Fr John McManus said it was only recently informed of unmarked graves being outside Milltown’s boundaries.

“A number of meetings between the cemetery trustees and the Ulster Wildlife Trust  have already taken place with a view to resolving the matter, the most recent being yesterday,” he said.

“We apologise for any distress caused and wish to assure everyone involved that the matter will be resolved as soon as possible.”

Fr McManus added that a memorial to all stillborn babies and young children, particularly those in unmarked graves, was erected at Milltown six years ago.

Source:
Bog Meadows babies protest held ... By Ciarán Barnes Andersonstown News Thursday

widz

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:47:12 PM »
My brother was one such baby and its a disgrace the boundry of little ones graves were moved outside of consecrated ground...But hey ho nothing surprises me about any churches!..We are all just followers of mere mortals acting supposedly on behalf of Jesus Christs christian teachings...So the above is all about what?? ???
Widz

Support the Milltown Babies Campaign!

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 09:57:21 PM »
Does the Catholic Church not have a property section which is responsibe for the finances of Church properties including cemeteries? What's the situation when they want to purchase land on which to build a new church or want to sell a property that is no longer required. The comments made by Fr John McManus don't make a great deal of sense. How can portions of cemeteries be fenced off without the knowledge of the Church? 

DOFFER

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 11:21:15 PM »
please excuse my ignorance but i have not heard of the bog babies could anyone tell me who they were and why bog babies ???
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Chicago

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 05:36:22 PM »

muck rake things up Christopher expecially where the Catholic Church is concerned.

Masser,

I am sorry if you feel this topic brought up some sour feeling. However, I personally had never heard of the Bog Babies and found it interesting reading. I had heard of the mass children’s graves during the war; and even believe that I have twin aunt babies buried there, although I do not know for sure, as anyone who would possibly have that kind of information is dead. To-day I have learned another piece of Irish History and learning something new is not a bad thing.  I will reiterate what some one else has said on this topic all of these children are safe in the arms of Jesus.

I am positively sure that Christopher meant no ill feelings just a human curiosity.

Please don't take offense.

-Jen   :)

We must all hang together, else we shall all hang separately....BENJAMIN FRANKELIN

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 06:14:13 PM »
please excuse my ignorance but i have not heard of the bog babies could anyone tell me who they were and why bog babies ???

DOFFER,

The links on the Burial Laws in Ireland thread, now on the Genealogy board, will help explain why many babies weren't buried in graves with other members of their families.

I am positively sure that Christopher meant no ill feelings just a human curiosity.

Please don't take offense.

-Jen   :)

Thanks Jen O0

Christopher

Chicago

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 06:39:31 PM »
You are most welcome Christopher.  ;)

I read the threads on  Genealogy board - very interesting -.

Thank you  :)
We must all hang together, else we shall all hang separately....BENJAMIN FRANKELIN