Author Topic: The Brown Horse  (Read 7756 times)

St.Anthony

The Brown Horse
« on: September 18, 2008, 11:28:04 PM »
Anyone remember The Brown Horse Bar which ran from Library Street to Kent Street and was owned by Sam Casey and family.

Christopher

Re: The Brown Horse
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 11:33:32 PM »
Anyone remember The Brown Horse Bar which ran from Library Street to Kent Street and was owned by Sam Casey and family.

I had the pleasure of meeting one of Sam's daughters many moons ago.

Portstewart people may know the family as I believe they had a holiday home there.

St.Anthony

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 02:21:43 PM »
Sam also had a bottling store in Millfield.  In 1975 5 people were murdered in it including 2 of Sam's daughters.  ( Those were terrible times)

bnf

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 02:40:11 AM »
 st a,
remember both sam and emmett.
bnf.
" The Fox knows many things,
    but the Hedgehog knows one big thing. "
    ARCHILOCHUS.

St.Anthony

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 03:51:50 AM »
I knew Sam and Emmett extremely well.  There were four bars on the ground floor. One was called the Malcolm Brody Lounge. He was/is the well respected sports journalist for the Belfast Telegraph

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 08:04:20 AM »
I knew Sam and Emmett extremely well.  There were four bars on the ground floor. One was called the Malcolm Brody Lounge. He was/is the well respected sports journalist for the Belfast Telegraph

In 2007 Dr Malcolm Brodie MBE was the recipient of the 2007 Texaco Sportstars Special Achievement Award. He was the Sports editor and football correspondent of the Belfast Telegraph for over four decades, the Award was presented to Dr. Brodie in recognition of his distinguished service to sport and the profession of sports journalism.  He was a Texaco Sportstars selection panel member from 1958, the year after its inauguration, until 1992.

Learn more about Dr Brodie's achievements
www.texaco.ie/sportstars_press/2007_sportstars_winners_special_achievement.php

MOONDOG

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »
                                                                    many    a  slash  in  the  BOGS next  door  to  it

St.Anthony

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 09:26:03 PM »
Are you sure that was all you did? ;D

MOONDOG

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 12:42:24 AM »
DONT  TAR  ME  WITH   THE  SAME  BRUSH  AS  YERSELF  HIDING  BEHIND  YER  HALO ,   8) :angel: :angel: :angel:

tobytwo

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 07:30:34 PM »
Yes i worked in wilson and mc brinn in kent street and u could go into the brown horse from kent st and out the other side.
never worry about life cause life will look after its-self.

St.Anthony

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 10:38:53 PM »
What years Toby, my missus worked there as well in the 70s

Sheila A

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 04:40:12 AM »

I do indeed it was the first bar I was served a drink in was 16 at the time. Do you remember McGlades? I used to work for Coastal Containers in the docks we had our own wee minivan and driver who would take us into the town for our lunch, McGlades was always my favourite they had the best welsh rarebit, next to that was the Dunbar for a bowl of stew.
Sheila A :)

teragram

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 09:08:40 AM »
I knew your brother Dessie, Sheila A, I also knew John Darragh. Two brilliant blokes. John was a lot quieter than Dessie. Dessie had a strong voice on him. Both men liked a wee drink.   I remember when Dessie died, Henry was totally devastated. I remember Dessie telling me he gave up the drink before it gave HIM up. I lived in Kimberley St  early 70s.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

Sheila A

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 02:48:34 PM »
I knew your brother Dessie, Sheila A, I also knew John Darragh. Two brilliant blokes. John was a lot quieter than Dessie. Dessie had a strong voice on him. Both men liked a wee drink.   I remember when Dessie died, Henry was totally devastated. I remember Dessie telling me he gave up the drink before it gave HIM up. I lived in Kimberley St  early 70s.

Dessie was quite the character alright. He wasn't well for a long time. I think the whole family was devastated when he died. John was much quieter as I recall, lovely big man. I used to go over to Kimberly St in the 60's before the troubles. I am the same age as Evelyn, Henry was about 2 yrs older than us we had some great times.
Sheila A :)

Eddie Sterling

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 11:33:52 PM »
I remember drinking in the Malcolm Brodie lounge ... and don't forget the 'Bob Young' alcove (I think that is what it was called).
By the way, an old Belfast Telegraph colleague of mine thinks the MB lounge was officially opened by George Best. It wouldn't surprise me.
Bob was the chief copy-taker in the Belfast Telegraph. He and his team of female "coffee-takers" as he called them, would type phoned-in copy from reporters, which would then go the sub-editors - like myself.
He was a great character who, as you would expect, enjoyed a jar in the Brown Horse ... and elsewhere.
Bob's odes were famous in the Tele.
He was injured in the IRA bombing of the Tele. I remember he wrote: "There's no future in a suture."