Author Topic: Help with a Belfast birth c1853  (Read 1575 times)

PaulineP

Help with a Belfast birth c1853
« on: September 30, 2006, 11:41:10 PM »
Hi

My first post on this forum. My husband's great grandfather is William John Connell, son of William Cuthbert Connell and Emma Frances Robinson.

The only reference to him being born in Belfast is through the Uk census returns. It would be great if some record exists of his birth or baptism in Belfast around that time.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Pauline  :)
Cornwall
UK

eddiec

Re: Help with a Belfast birth c1853
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 11:48:23 PM »
As it was before civil registration you would be looking a baptism record. For help there you would need to know his religion. Do you have any idea where in Belfast? Several members of the Forum, most notably Christopher, have many directories etc and could look up the address.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

eddiec

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 12:40:51 AM »
And also... was he the first child?

Although Birth registration didnt start till 1864 marriages started 1845.

If the birth was 1853 that gives you 8 years in which there may be a record.  Have you tried either the National Archives in Dublin or The General Records Office in Belfast for the marriage.

It may point to where they lived etc.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

eastender

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 06:24:11 AM »
pauline,

welcome to the Belfast Forum.

Maybe check page 2 of the geneology board for Bryan Connell's post on shipbuilding Connells. This is it. Maybe related to yours?

I am interested in any descendants of Charles Connell born approx. 1872 in Ayrshire, Scotland. He went on to become a prominent shipbuilder in Belfast, Ireland during the 1820s (starting Charles Connell and Sons in Belfast circa 1820) and died in Belfast in 1844 aged 72 years. Charles Connell is buried in the Clifton Street Cemetery, Belfast.

Charles Connell (married Ann Hamilton in Ayrshire) had several children - all born in Ayrshire , most of whom accompanied him to Belfast approx. 1815, including Alexander (Sandy) Connell who continued the Belfast "Charles Connell and Sons" shipbuilding yard until the 1860s. Sandy Connell died in 1875 and is buried in the Carnmoney Cemetery, Belfast.

However, Charles' eldest son JOHN CONNELL, remained in Ayrshire and married Mary CUTHBERT approx 1819. John and Mary Connell's eldest son, William Connell, was born, June 1820 in Dundonald, Ayrshire,1820 - I am particularly interested in him. John and Mary Cuthbert's second son, Charles Connell, born Dundonald, February 1822, went on to found "Charles Connell and Company" shipbuilders on the Clyde, Glasgow, Scotland in the 1860s.

If anyone knows anything about the descendants of either Belfast or Ayrshire branches of the Connell family I would be most appreciative.
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 06:39:46 AM »
Hiya Pauline,

Welcome to Belfast Forum.

The 1852 Directory of Belfast and the Province of Ulster lists three William Connells in Belfast ..

William Connell, land agent, 35, Corporation Street
William Connell, ship builder, 68, Nelson Street
William Connell, chandler, 12, Round Entry

There was also an Alexander, Connell & Co, ship builders, Graving Dock, Corporation Street. I'm not certain with this one whether Alexander was Connell's Christian name or there were two surnames. (that's why I have shown the comma there although the way any name appears in the directory ... William for instance would be Connell, William, chandler, 12 Round Entry). William of Nelson Street may have been connected with the Corporation Street Connells.

eastender mentions Bryan's post so I've created a link to it to make things easier.

Chris

PaulineP

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 02:58:16 PM »
Hi All

Thanks for the help so far. I suspect the entry in the 1852 directory for William Connell, Land Agent may be the father. It would be about the right age for William Jnr's father. On the census returns for the UK he is shown as an "agent".

William and wife Emma married in Liverpool, but it was in the Liverpool Registry Office, so a civil wedding. I suspect they would have been Protestant though, but I cannot say that with any conviction.

Re "Bryan's post", we are researching the same line. Bryan and my husband John are second cousins.

Sorry to be a bit vague on things, but we both would love to be able to find a record of William's s birth.

Here's hoping  ;)

Pauline