Author Topic: Boys Brigade  (Read 45883 times)

andy

Re: Boys Brigade
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 09:15:30 PM »
hi Chris, 38th donegall road  methodist  was founded in1928 and celebrated
its golden jubilee in1978. i went back to Belfast for its big parade it held
its dinner in the city hall by courtesy of the lord mayor who was an officer
in the company councillor James stewart.
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

stewie

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 09:29:24 PM »
 :) 113th st colombus :D but that was years ago :'(

sammy toaster

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 09:32:29 PM »
surely st. columbanus?.

sammy toaster

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 09:45:06 PM »
but really there was a columbanus before henry the eighth.

stewie

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 09:51:17 PM »
but really there was a columbanus before henry the eighth.
:) maybe so sammy not really into history that much ??? i,ll take your word for it ;)

RabRow

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 05:00:29 PM »
89th.  We were the poor relations. Aye we had a bugle band,but our nearby company the 34th were the 'big-wigs'  They had a silver band,and a better football team. As a matter of fact I think they fielded teams in all sections of the BB league.

Also the 1st Belfast not so far away had a silver band too. Aye the poor relations right enough. :'( :)  But they were great years and I never missed a camp,although we always travelled abroad.  to the Isle of Man and Scotland. ;D

ulsterstan

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 06:55:39 PM »
Every year in the 82nd. Mountpottinger  it was to Ganaway   but  i loved that wee camp near Ballywalter.
Stan Sloan.

andy

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 07:02:52 PM »
hi rabrow!i was in 38th b.b. donegall road Methodist we also had a bugle
band we were also one of the top companies in football,p.t. and drill,we
used to hold our display in the wellington hall in wellington place.
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

giannineo

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2007, 07:59:08 PM »
Ach away, the 97th were the business.Squad drill experts, and great camps at Baronscourt where we had the Duke of Abercorn down to share evening meal. .built our own canoes,camps at Baronscourt had golf, archery, canoeing , swimming, fishing,table tennis, T.V. for the 1966 World Cup,footie, inter tent comps for tent inspection, sports, cross country championship, cricket, forest clearing,swimming.... but sneaking out of the tents atg 2.am. and canoeing to an island for secret fegs was the business. Folk sing song  in the Marquee at night  and loverly grub cooked by Dusty Miller the ex army cook.
     We put on our own Pantomies and concerts.....we were the people ;D

twocoats

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 08:37:49 PM »
No tc, but had my first alcoholic drink in the Church Hall loft....closing might of the Pantomime/
     As for my FSE. ... church hall with big Mabel !
      You 61st guys were pathetic.

Loved my wee hat ;D
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

giannineo

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 09:19:07 PM »
Aye the wee pill box hat TC, BRAW,but hard to paint them wee white lines with whitening.

RabRow

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2007, 11:08:39 AM »
hi rabrow!i was in 38th b.b. donegall road Methodist we also had a bugle
band we were also one of the top companies in football,p.t. and drill,we
used to hold our display in the wellington hall in wellington place.

I know of the 38th. I knew a girl who married a guy who I've been told later became minister of that church.  A cousin of mine was in the 13th Richview Presbyterian,he played the bagpipes in their band and also for St Aidans later on.

Somebody mentioned the pill-box hats,aye like wee bell-boys we were :) and they were the devil to whiten.  But one thing, the belts were brilliant. Great for opening a bottle of lemonade,or a bottle of something stronger. ;) ;D

ulsterstan

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2007, 05:38:23 PM »
I still have my BB. belt  and a couple of the BB. hymnals  over 50 years old.
Stan Sloan.

giannineo

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2007, 07:26:03 PM »
braw Stan, we had to hand our belts back in.I have my Lance Corporal's chevron with badges though, membership cards, and camp programmes.
     To  shine the badge on the belt we had to blacken it with a candle flame and then polish like mad.Wee brass button on the haversack as well,pleats on your jacket folded neatly at the back. shoes polished, white shirt , black tie and hymnal tucked under your belt right hand side.Straight in from school  every Thursday night and that procedure started for inspection on Parade night.
     I am technically still a member of the 97th. as I missed the final Display and did not receive my discharge which was the highest award avsailable...even more prestigious than the Queen's Badge.

ulsterstan

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2007, 08:04:37 PM »
Wow!   you were a right good  boy eh,    i still came out as a private   but i loved the BB.   yea remember those  polishing days   and we used to hold our  final awards  night at  McQuistions   as they had a bigger hall than us .  Yea don't know how i got to hold onto my belt  and i still have a bunch of badges i won  but mostly loved playing for the football team .           
Stan Sloan.