Author Topic: Boys Brigade  (Read 45877 times)

AL CAPONE

Re: Boys Brigade
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2007, 08:09:23 PM »
sorry for being stupid but is the BB like the scouts ?

sammy toaster

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 08:11:39 PM »
oooh now yev did it.

AL CAPONE

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 08:24:27 PM »
what?

giannineo

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 08:38:09 PM »
Al, the B.B is about "all that leads towards a true Christian manliness".It is a Christian orgsanisation to promote boys towards a christian life and at the same time is run along army lines....drill, keeping uniforms sparkling,discipline...but plenty of sports, badges on arts and crafts, P.E.,Wayfaring, Expeditions , camping,music,and much more.
         In my day it was a great organisation for keeping boys occupied and off the streets. Also gave boys some very good training and dare I mention discipline. I think the Boy Scouts are more for outdoor pursuits and less focused on Christian training.Scouting is a great organisation also.
            The B.B.  also did charitable  and helpful things in communities...e.g. my company ran a club for disabled kids on a Saturday morning to let their parents go shopping or simply have some respite.
      B.B.  Companies had leagues whereby they played each other football, table tennis,cricket.
           A n organisation where I complained about the discipline but which gave me great comradeship, enjoyment , education and life skills.Might be worth looking at B.B.  and Scout website Al.

AL CAPONE

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 08:44:48 PM »
cheers G.

giannineo

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 08:53:09 PM »
Al, that  is not to say that we did not  break the rules and smoked, drank ,gambled and sought after women....I came to love Marta Mc Cullough through the B.B....a first class millie if I ever saw one.. bobby socks and white accessories.....mmmmm.....I used to wear her chiffon scarf with Blue Grass perfume impregnated to remind me of her....mmmmmm the Girls' Brigade also had raunchy parties which we were invited to and the Bishop gave a special dispensation for dancing. .Elizabeth Morrow could sure a shake a tail feather under the church hall platform. :-X ;D

andy

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 09:06:27 PM »
gawd! you guys get the old grey matter going, i remember the 38th b.b.
going to girvan [first time to the main land] that was wayyyy back 1949, 1950 we ventured to ayr [2 years in a trot] then wait for it [MILL PORT] in
1953, then in 1954 we really flew our kites we went to the isle of man
we sailed into Douglas got 2 buses to Ramsay wow! what a camp so good we went back the next year 1955. then i went to battalion as a p.t.i. as this
was my speciality ,i was allocated companies that had no p.t.is. then i
moved to Scotland, we started up 32nd stirling i was first lieu, then capt,
retired and i was asked to become capt,i held this rank till i retired 5 years later having served 51 years that was in 1995. believe it or not i then
became a liaison officer for stirling battalion with 16 comps, under my
wing.
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

giannineo

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 09:09:44 PM »
Andy, 60th Belfast went to Ramsay I.o.M. and also to Millport.
    97th. were usually "under " canvass.
  Did you ever get blackened?

andy

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 09:13:23 PM »
"G" you are some man giving away all those secrets,thats why we loved the isle of man,there were plenty of 3 legged men , but no 3legged
women.

andy

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 09:18:11 PM »
i certainly did ,because i was so active during the day i slept like a log at night.wakened up one morning with a cow licking my face , well my pants
changed colour that morning

giannineo

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM »
Andy,when at Broanscourt we went on Church Parade. There was om ne girl in the Church. .I sneaked out of the camp one night and knocked the door of every cottage within miles until I found her....she came out for a walk with me , and the fatigues the next day when I was caught awol were worth it.
        When I lived in Glasgow I passed the church every day where Samuel Smith founded the B.B.

andy

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2007, 09:25:30 PM »
"G" we were alwas under canvass the year we went to the i.o.m. i was part of the advance party

giannineo

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2007, 09:32:23 PM »
I loved the advance part Andy.Good craic with the officers and you felt special. However, I was a mere nine stone and got dragged across a field by the main guy rope of the Marquee as it collapsed on top of everyone.
      Smoking was of course not allowed and lighting up in a tent at night was stupid as the whole tent lit up and glowed. Being in a field in the middle of nowhere provided problems and I had to sneak 120 fegs in to  camp in the bottom of my golf bag. The camp cook was the only man for a light for your fegs if you ran out of matches.
        Retreat blown each evening  would echo around the country side, and "fall in "  to get you up in he morning.

andy

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2007, 09:34:45 PM »
"G" i found out a lot on advance parties we clicked to i was trying to remember the dance hall in Ramsey but cant we met quite a lot of  lassies
from Scotland and ireland. one night we carried one of our officers 2 fields
away and left him outside a g.l.bs. tent we didn't know till the next morning it was one of their officers tents

giannineo

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2007, 09:40:46 PM »
My bruv fell off the pier at Ramsey and broke his ankle.I wasn't at the Ramsey Camp.....too young,,in the 60th. we went to the British Legion Hall in Dunluce Street....pally asses on a wooden floor.I tried chatting up a girl in Portrush and got shot down,imagine my embarrassment when I went to my new school in September and she was in my class. :-[