Author Topic: letitia thompson  (Read 3300 times)

tiglet

Re: letitia thompson
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 08:49:47 PM »
Hi, the address for Letitia on the marriage certificate will be where she was living not where her  father was living. Could she have been living at Marlborough Park as a servant?

Christopher says that there is a 1912 Directory of Belfast it might be worth putting a separate post on the board to see if anyone is can see who was living at Homelyn, Marlborough Park, Belfast.

Letitias father is George a tailor (is that bit right?)

I know the age is out but it could be a transcription error, I spent ages looking for a Sarah Mardin (from a UHF certificate) only to find when I got the original it was Martin.

Teresa

eddiec

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 10:05:48 PM »
Tiglet... A good idea but given that the marriage cert said No Occupation I think we can say she was not a servant but lived there.

I agree about the directories. If I have time on Monday I will call over to the Linen Hall Library and have a look.

Just for information - Witham Street is on the Newtownards Road. The Railway Museum used to be there before being incorporated into the Folk and Transport Museum.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

orangelil

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 11:52:03 PM »
Letitias father is George a tailor (is that bit right?)
yes i know that he was a tailor, so that bit on the certifaicate is correct.  It's the address that doesn't make any sense to me. 

I spoke to my mum again tonight, and she believes that Letitia may have been thrown out of the house after the birth of Eva outside of marriage.  if this was the case then she could have been sent from her father's house in distillery street to another thompson, a relative in marlborough park.  This might explain why the address is Marlborough Park, but her father is George Thompson, tailor.  Because no occupation was recorded for Letitia, it would seem she was family.  Does this sound like it could be right?

I will see if I can get access to a 1912 street directory to find out what Thompsons were living in Marlborough Park.
McGarvey (Cookstown), McAree (Monaghan), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Ballinderry), Totton (Ballinderry), Thompson (Belfast), O'Raw (Randalstown)

orangelil

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 11:54:51 PM »
Is it possible some confusion is creeping in?
Yes i am getting confused.  I rechecked the covenant and George Thompson in Marlborough park Belfast, is not on it.  Thanks! Karen
McGarvey (Cookstown), McAree (Monaghan), Rice (Saintfield), McDonald (Ballinderry), Totton (Ballinderry), Thompson (Belfast), O'Raw (Randalstown)

tiglet

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006, 11:10:49 AM »
The majority if not all the women I have marriage certificates for do not have an occupation listed, although I know full well that they had jobs as they are listed on the various census.

Teresa

eddiec

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 10:35:59 AM »
Checked the 1912 Street Directory. It lists

Marlborough Park (North Avenue)
Home Lyn
Moore F  F.E.I.S  School teacher

They are also listed there in 1911

Looks like there was more than confusion with that other George :)
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>