Author Topic: Finiston Primary School  (Read 125846 times)

mrs mourinho

Re: Finiston Primary School
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 09:17:40 PM »
Any idea what year approx the Briars attended finiston or the model?

Foxyfur

our janet would be 49 this year
always look on the bright side of life

forever_a_shankill_girl

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 01:29:19 PM »
I knew a Janet and Thomas Briers but they lived in the Glencairn (they had other brothers & sisters too)..back in mid-80s when I lived there. Small difference in the spelling of the surname too though so might not be same people.

I also went to the Model from 1977-1982.
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!

mrs mourinho

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 10:03:08 PM »
I knew a Janet and Thomas Briers but they lived in the Glencairn (they had other brothers & sisters too)..back in mid-80s when I lived there. Small difference in the spelling of the surname too though so might not be same people.

I also went to the Model from 1977-1982.

yes there my cousins.  .maybe you would no linda n iris townsend.... ???

forever_a_shankill_girl

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 12:08:21 PM »

Have pm'd you mrs mourhino.  :)
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!

mrs mourinho

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »

foxyfur

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 04:42:45 PM »
Hi

Janet Briers mum still lives in Glencairn - my mum was talking to her a few months ago.

Janet Briers was in the same class at finiston as my older sister.

Janet had cousins Heather and Marilyn (also surname briers - janet's dad and heather's dad were two brothers). 

Heather and Marilyn lived in Heathfield Road (same street as myself)

Foxy

driver4012

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 05:52:13 PM »
i went to finiston  1960/66 mr stewart was the head then .my best memories were pulling the milk trolley round the school and now and again getting to ring a big brass bell when breaktime was over  thinking back the milk really tasted great.

foxyfur

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 10:24:59 PM »
Yes, the milk always tasted better outta glass bottles :-)

Remember everyone used to fight over the bottle with the gold top - everyone wanted it lol

Foxy

foxyfur

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 10:41:30 PM »
To all past Finiston pupils

I had the great experience of spending some time with a few past teachers and principals of Finiston school only last week.

Here are the wonderful ladies I met up with:

Miss Ardle (later to become Mrs Emery) she was my P2 teacher

Mrs Elliott (my P3 teacher later to become Principal of Finiston)

Mrs McAvoy (was not at the school during my time - but was the last Principal of Finiston)

I was made very welcome and the three named teachers above were very helpful.  I enjoyed talking about Finiston School as had really happy memories of this great wee school.

Mrs Orr will organise a copy of a picture of the teachers at the school in the mid 1970's and I shall keep you posted on that.

Mrs Elliott has a fantastic memory and a great sharp wit - hasn't changed a bit!!

Mrs McAvoy I met for the first time - lovely lady who was kind enough to lend me a video tape of a program about the closure of schools.  It was very sad to see how Finiston numbers had fallen away but the video shows you around the classroom and some of the exterior part of the building and interviews with the two remaining teachers (including Mrs McAvoy).

I have copied the video tape and am at the moment transferring it to DVD as Mrs McAvoy would like some copies to keep.

If anyone would like a copy please pm me and something can be arranged.

The information I also have are all the Principals of the school since 1952 (courtesy of Mrs Elliott) and all the regiments who served their time at the school from 1971 - 1974.

Hope some of you find this as interesting as I did.

Foxy

mrs mourinho

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 10:54:55 PM »
hi foxyfur,
janet is my cousin from her mum,s side my mum n her mum are sisters. . :D

Thunder

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 11:28:15 PM »
I went to Finiston from 1957 to 1963.  Remember Ms Elliot in P1/P2,  Ms Baxter in P3/P4, Miss Mulligan who got married and Became Mrs. Gracy in P5/P6 and Mr. Gordon in P7.  I met Mrs Gracy and her husband when I was doing an Open University Degree and they were at Jordanstown Tech for some extra Tutor work at night.  I was sitting behind her, and suddenly recognised her.  She had hardly changed at all.  This was about 15years ago and hadnt seen her for over 30 years. I just had to find out if it was her so I leaned over and asked if she was by any chance Mrs. Gracy.  She turned round with a huge smile and said "Oh No, not another one", referring to the number of ex pupils who must have recognised her since those early years at Finiston. 
Mr Gordon was a great character and a fantastic teacher. Certainly helped me and was a great incentive to learn.  What a pity the Boys Model wasn't the same.  A school full of psychopathic teachers and I just happened to be taught by them all.  Couldn't wait to leave that place as soon as I finished my O Levels.

NOTTUH

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »

Foxtfur
my wife went to Finiston from 57 to 63 her name was Wendie Henry I am her toy boy.
As my previous post said i lived in No3 Heathfield drive but never went to Finiston as for some reason my mum sent me and my sisiter to Cliftonville.
I  used to go to the summer scheme outings from finiston with my sunblest Loaf bag for my sandwiches.
i can remember the army being in the school and the dinning hall being blown up.Do you remember the cannon the army had on top of the roof with the dolls head sticking out of it.
I can remember standing in Heathfield road with my granda watching the paras marching out of the school and unto the lorries which where lined up all along the road.Thanks for jogging some wonderfull memories.
I would be interested in the stuff you have on the school and would like to know how i can get a copy .I would be willing to pay .
Thanks
Mark
quote author=foxyfur link=topic=12527.msg409910#msg409910 date=1245620490]
To all past Finiston pupils

I had the great experience of spending some time with a few past teachers and principals of Finiston school only last week.

Here are the wonderful ladies I met up with:

Miss Ardle (later to become Mrs Emery) she was my P2 teacher

Mrs Elliott (my P3 teacher later to become Principal of Finiston)

Mrs McAvoy (was not at the school during my time - but was the last Principal of Finiston)

I was made very welcome and the three named teachers above were very helpful.  I enjoyed talking about Finiston School as had really happy memories of this great wee school.

Mrs Orr will organise a copy of a picture of the teachers at the school in the mid 1970's and I shall keep you posted on that.

Mrs Elliott has a fantastic memory and a great sharp wit - hasn't changed a bit!!

Mrs McAvoy I met for the first time - lovely lady who was kind enough to lend me a video tape of a program about the closure of schools.  It was very sad to see how Finiston numbers had fallen away but the video shows you around the classroom and some of the exterior part of the building and interviews with the two remaining teachers (including Mrs McAvoy).

I have copied the video tape and am at the moment transferring it to DVD as Mrs McAvoy would like some copies to keep.

If anyone would like a copy please pm me and something can be arranged.

The information I also have are all the Principals of the school since 1952 (courtesy of Mrs Elliott) and all the regiments who served their time at the school from 1971 - 1974.

Hope some of you find this as interesting as I did.

Foxy
[/quote]

headtheball

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 04:52:51 PM »
I was at finniston when Ronnie Flannagan was there. I left in 1961. I would love to meet up with any of the teachers from that era. A few years ago I did meet Mr Gordon again. Unfortunately he died last year.
The person who never made a mistake has  never made anything

headtheball

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 04:54:51 PM »
Foxy if you could tell me how I could get in touch with Miss elliot I would be most grateful

headtheball

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2009, 01:12:32 PM »
Some people are trying to arrange a reunioun for pupils of Finniston from 1956 -1963. The idea is to meet up in belfast during the weekend of 24 th October. It would be great to hear from some of the old teachers and anybody from about that time. The idea is on Friends Reunited by a guy called Jim Fisher. Anyone interested please contact me either here or on Friends reunited

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy