Author Topic: Finiston Primary School  (Read 125847 times)

SandraB

Re: Finiston Primary School
« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2018, 02:45:11 PM »
my name is Stephen McAllister
i went to finiston school 1965 - 1968
i remember the dinner hall and saying grace
saying the lords prayer in the morning before class
my classmates were Norman McLachlan / Lakid Ali
and his older brother named Shokat they were from Pakistan
i lived on the Oldpark Rd...

SandraB

« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »
This was my class at school.

MarieLaBonne

« Reply #242 on: August 25, 2018, 08:19:15 AM »
Does anybody know how long the school was used as a military base? What years? Anybody got any pics of the area at that time? It's for a book that a friend is writing.

MarieLaBonne

« Reply #243 on: August 31, 2018, 06:51:03 PM »
Is it Finniston, Finiston or Finnieston? What say ye? :-)

spoolerdog

« Reply #244 on: January 23, 2019, 11:50:51 AM »
The school name was spelt Finiston and was on Torrens Road.

I was lucky to attend this brilliant school between 1968/9 - 1976. 

I think the army were based there from about 1971 and they took over the care-takers home (Robert Stevenson?) at one point which overlooked the Oldpark Road.

spoolerdog

« Reply #245 on: January 23, 2019, 11:59:43 AM »
Dear All,  My father was James Hutton I believe the deputy head at Finiston PS in the late 60's/1970's at the time that Mr Russell was headmaster. He passed away in 2001 and my mum recently. I was a very young child when he worked there and do remember when the school was mortared and various other dramatic events.I was wondering if any of you recalled him and had any stories for me,
 Sue Pearson

Hi Sue

I think your father taught me when I was in P4.  would he have been there about 1973/74?  If it was him he was a fantastic teacher and instilled in me a love of history.  He would always put on plays for the assembly and expected all his class to take part.  I think he left and went to Cliftonville - or so I was told.

spoolerdog

« Reply #246 on: January 23, 2019, 12:14:55 PM »
hi jeepster (henry)

I remember you and your brothers (Ronnie and Billy?).  you lived across the entry from me.  I lived in torrens drive.  you would probably know my older brother better as he was about your age - Mark.

He went to the Boys Model after leaving Finiston around 1974.

both remember the Stiffs!

Warren

« Reply #247 on: April 18, 2019, 11:09:14 PM »
Warren Robinson attended Finiston Primary School -70-73, lived on Derg st Oldpark. Who remembers rocket attack?

spoolerdog

« Reply #248 on: May 07, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »
As a youngster, I remember the rocket attack and the various other "incidents" including half of the school being burned down.

Remember having to play under the shadows of "peace fencing" right around the school.

but great times were had.  I loved it and the Principal and teachers were stars. 

David Russell - Principal
Bill Pollock - taught me in P7
Mr Moore taught me in P5 and gave me a love of history which I still enjoy nearly 50 years later.

great memories indeed.

Soupie

« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2020, 10:46:46 PM »
Hi Spoolerdog,
 Thanks so much for replying. I haven’t been on here in such a long time I’ve had to reregister! I’m glad you remember my dad. That sounds very much like him although I did think he’d taught older kids.
 He did work in Cliftonville for a while and then Knockbreda primary school.
 I also remember the rocket attack. It’s one of my earliest memories as I was a pre schooler and my mum had the telly on for me. I must have recognised the name of the school when it came on the news and I remember being scared by it.
It seems such a mad idea to stick an army base in a primary school. I’m really interested in what interactions you kids had with the soldiers.
My dad also told me about a few hairy times when he went with the kids in the back of armoured land rovers to get them home safely.

William J.

« Reply #250 on: June 24, 2020, 05:16:15 PM »
Hi Mark,
I went to school with Wendy Henry,she lived on the Oldpark Road just above Ardalea Street and I was at her 50th Birthday Party in Portavogie pigeon club.
William

William J.

« Reply #251 on: June 24, 2020, 05:40:42 PM »
Forgot to mention that I lived in Louisa Street.

Garyb

« Reply #252 on: June 27, 2020, 01:16:18 PM »
Did anyone ever manage to get a copy of the school closure video that was mentioned earlier in this thread, pretty sure I am in it.

thomasthetank

« Reply #253 on: September 30, 2020, 04:34:39 PM »
hi, also interested in the video, please message if you got hold of it. Was there 69-75

thomasthetank

« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2020, 05:01:50 PM »
Lived in 5 heathfield drive, torrens drive, torrens gardens, my dad was born and lived in ballycastle street, Was playing in the school playground the day it was mortored.
Remember teachers, mr Pollock, and Mr moore, played for the school football team. Born 1965 some of the older posters on here might well know my dad.
Very fond memories of a great school.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy