Author Topic: Finiston Primary School  (Read 125850 times)

dougie boy

Re: Finiston Primary School
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2009, 09:33:55 PM »
I went to Finiston from 1957 to 1963.  Remember Ms Elliot in P1/P2,  Ms Baxter in P3/P4, Miss Mulligan who got married and Became Mrs. Gracy in P5/P6 and Mr. Gordon in P7.  I met Mrs Gracy and her husband when I was doing an Open University Degree and they were at Jordanstown Tech for some extra Tutor work at night.  I was sitting behind her, and suddenly recognised her.  She had hardly changed at all.  This was about 15years ago and hadnt seen her for over 30 years. I just had to find out if it was her so I leaned over and asked if she was by any chance Mrs. Gracy.  She turned round with a huge smile and said "Oh No, not another one", referring to the number of ex pupils who must have recognised her since those early years at Finiston. 
Mr Gordon was a great character and a fantastic teacher. Certainly helped me and was a great incentive to learn.  What a pity the Boys Model wasn't the same.  A school full of psychopathic teachers and I just happened to be taught by them all.  Couldn't wait to leave that place as soon as I finished my O Levels.
If this is old age I hope I die young

foxyfur

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 09:47:47 PM »
Head the ball - if you'd like to pm me - I'll tell you how to contact Mrs Elliott

Am only seeing your message now as haven't been on the forums in a while.

Foxyfur

foxyfur

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »
Wish someone would organise a reunion for Finiston pupils from my era - 1968 - 1974 - would love to find out how everyone is  :)

Foxyfur

Geraldine

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 09:54:38 PM »
Great to see you back on Foxy,
I hope you find some people from your era!!!
Keep the thread going and maybe some one will spot it.
Good luck!!!!!
For to be free is not merely to cast off ones chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.          Nelson Mandela

KimWarm

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 01:16:27 AM »
I attended Finiston Primary from 1964 - 1969. My name was Kim Allen and I lived just across from the school gates in Heathfield Road. I would love to attend a reunion and hear about all the staff and pupils from any era there a it is so sad to see it all away now and my street gone.
I would love to hear from anyone who went there. :)

toadstool999

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 03:50:40 PM »
My father Keith Campbell was the caretaker of Finniston from about 1968 - 1970 and we lived in the house in the playground. We had a huge boxer called Bruce and he loved the kids who would sometimes (the wee ones that is) get on his back for a ride. I remember my father used to feed some of the kids who were obviously hungry looking, he'd make them cereal and toast and eggs for breakfast. We moved out just before the army moved in, but I remember there was a soldier  shot and wounded just outside the main gates on the Oldpark Rd. and there was an enormous pool of blood on the ground. I heard later that the house had been hit by a rocket and destroyed. Is that true?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Michelle1966

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 07:29:50 PM »
Hi there, I was also a pupil at Finniston Primary from 1970-1977.
I loved reading the posts about Finniston   thankyou.
I have fond memories of that time.
We would get the "Special Bus" from Manor Street, which took us along and sometimes up the Cliftonville Road or Oldpark, stopping to pick up pupils.

Mr Russel was the Head-Master, Mrs Elliott then took over, Mr Pollock was my p7 teacher, Mr Woods p6   Mrs Emery, Mrs Hewit  

Funny looking back now it was all rather exciting having an Army Base in the school.
Think we had a mortar bomb once?
Getting stoned I mean bricked, as we passed the Chapel on the bus going up the Oldpark Road.

It hardened us   lol Michelle xoxo.

KimWarm

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 12:23:39 AM »
hi carroll,   my wife attended finiston from 1942 till 1952 maby this
                  was before your time.  she used to live in 6 heathfield rd,
                  her name then was pauline pritchard. [off chance you might
                  know her]

hello there. I remember the Pritchards as I lived at 2 Heathfield Road from 1959 to 1974.

KimWarm

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2009, 12:27:50 AM »
Hi

I went to finiston school as did my older sister and younger brother.  We lived in Heathfield Road from 1964 -1974.  Times were tough at the school at that time with the Army based there, however have really fond memories of the wee school :-)

Foxyfur

Well Foxyfur

I would love to know who you are as I lived in no.2 during that time! I have some very old pics of the school that I will have to dig out and scan to add here both before and after the army were there.

Kim

KimWarm

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2009, 12:34:56 AM »
My father Keith Campbell was the caretaker of Finniston from about 1968 - 1970 and we lived in the house in the playground. We had a huge boxer called Bruce and he loved the kids who would sometimes (the wee ones that is) get on his back for a ride. I remember my father used to feed some of the kids who were obviously hungry looking, he'd make them cereal and toast and eggs for breakfast. We moved out just before the army moved in, but I remember there was a soldier  shot and wounded just outside the main gates on the Oldpark Rd. and there was an enormous pool of blood on the ground. I heard later that the house had been hit by a rocket and destroyed. Is that true?

How wonderful. I really remember that dog as I am dog crazy! It is so strange the things this site brings back to us. I recall a soldier being shot outside the Heathfield Road gates as my memory is of him being on the ground outside our house. I think something did happen to one of the houses on the corner of the street but I would need to check the papers for the detail.

Puffer

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 09:23:02 AM »
Great to see so many messages about Finiston PS. My name is Gerald Marks and we lived in Wyndham Street, I attended from1957 - 1964. I definitetly remember Mr Gordan in P7. In my class was David Graham, who lived in Oldpark Avenue. I also remember Wendy Henry, Diane Lawther, William Stringer.

Gnucker

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010, 08:05:03 AM »
Iwent to Finiston between 1963-66 i remember ms hewit but the teacher i remember most was Mr Heron the best teacher there.

TS

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2010, 10:17:02 PM »
There are some interesting articles on the BBC news website regarding the late Mr Russell who returned to the Far East towards the end of his life to meet a miner who had befriended him there while a POW.

The first chapter of Anthony Bailey's book "Acts of Union: Reports on Ireland 1973-79" (Faber and Faber, London, 1980) also concerns Finiston primary school - "On the Oldpark, Belfast, 1973".

jeepster2

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 10:22:44 AM »
I went to Finiston 62-69.I was in Kim's class.My fav teachers were Mr Herron and Mr Welch.
Later formed a band called Stiff Little Fingers.Miss that school.
Henry
Come on the wee Crues!

jeepster2

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 06:19:09 AM »
Went there 62-69...anyone got Photos??Love to see them. :smile:
Come on the wee Crues!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy