Author Topic: Price of cars  (Read 5748 times)

Twocoats

Price of cars
« on: October 05, 2006, 04:13:34 AM »
Are people in Northern Ireland paying more for their cars than say in England?. Also do they pay more in N Ireland than for a comparable model in Canada or the USA?

pentio

Re: Price of cars
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 08:30:45 PM »
I think we are paying more for our cars than people living in England.....in fact we are paying more for everything.....Electricity...gas ...food etc etc....will check with my sister who lives in England and  let you know.

EllCee

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 08:57:02 PM »
Are people in Northern Ireland paying more for their cars than say in England?. Also do they pay more in N Ireland than for a comparable model in Canada or the USA?

As a generalisation, when comparing prices in the UK with prices in the USA, change the £pound sign to a $dollar sign, and vice versa, and you will not be far off.

Of course, as with every rule, there will be exceptions.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

eastender

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 09:09:18 PM »
What kinda car?

Where I am, the smallest base level (Suzuki Swift, Toyota Yaris etc) runs for about $17,000 CDN including tax.

As of today, £1 == $2.12CDN
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

EllCee

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 09:12:45 PM »
What kinda car?

Where I am, the smallest base level (Suzuki Swift, Toyota Yaris etc) runs for about $17,000 CDN including tax.

As of today, £1 == $2.12CDN

You can search for any car here:  Auto Trader
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

EllCee

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 09:17:19 PM »
Or for a local selection:  http://www.usedcarsni.com/

eastender

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 09:19:29 PM »
Sorry Les,

I misunderstood. I forgot that Twocoats is in Canada. ???

eastender

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 09:28:00 PM »
Les, I checked the new Toyotas on the link you sent and they seem comparably priced to here. Do the prices include taxes or are they base?

EllCee

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 09:36:12 PM »
I'm sure they will manage to add on quite a few pounds to the advertised price, but they should include the tax   I would think.

I've never bought a new car, so I don't know much about it.

Generally, it is cheaper to buy a car outside of the UK, ie in Europe, but on the island of Ireland, it will be more expensive than on GB. 

And, there are exceptions as it can be cheaper to buy a car in the RoI and export it to NI.

eastender

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 10:10:39 PM »
I remember buyin a new 74 Datsun 100A for £1048 including taxes; but petrol was only about 60p/gallon too!  ;D

I know that car rentals are more expensive there. When I visit, I have to arrange/pay for the car here and save a few quid.

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 10:27:39 PM »
Have a look at the prices in Auto Trader

eddiec

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 11:35:03 PM »
Generally, it is cheaper to buy a car outside of the UK, ie in Europe, but on the island of Ireland, it will be more expensive than on GB. 

And, there are exceptions as it can be cheaper to buy a car in the RoI and export it to NI.

There was quite a spate of this a few years ago bringing in people carriers (the six-seven seater type) from europe through the Republic were you were able to save between £2,000-£5000... they were left hand drive and I remember seeing a few with an MPH sticker stuck over the speedo. Trouble was a lot of peolpe found they could not get the parts or had trouble with insurance and ended up having to get rid...
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

giannineo

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 10:30:35 AM »
Arnold Clarke cars in Scotland. .they provide cars to rental firms....after a short they buy them back and sell them to the public.I got an 8 month old Vectra with 10,000 miles on the clock,2 and a quarter years warranty, for £7,895.Car cost new circa £14,000.That is roughly the shceme and price wise is hard to beat.